Lightning

Just got off the phone with Jim Bell.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 07:21 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Just got off the phone with Jim Bell.....

OK, I just spoke to Jim Bell about the Phenolic Spacers and a whole list of other products that pertain to the supercharger. Let me start off by saying that everything he explained to me is that he wants to protect the longevity of the supercharger. Let's start off with the Phenolic Spacer since that was a big topic in the other thread. There are two reasons he doesn't want the Phenolic Spacer being used. One is clearence, firewall clearence. He does not want the upper plenum hitting the firewall and causing stress on the supercharger case. The second is that there are four bolts that hold the upper plenum to the adapter plate. Two of the holes go straight through the plate therefore it does not matter if the bolts are longer. On the two front holes, if the bolts are too long they will actually go through the adapter plate and hit the outer casing of the supercharger. When we install them in house we make sure this doesn't happen but in our mail order business I could not gaurantee Jim that it would not happen. So therefore you will be running a risk of voiding your warantee if you chose to use the Phenolic Spacer.

Ok, now he also said overspinning the blower, which he considers that being anything over 18,000 RPM's. All of our customers who run in the tens are just at the 18,000 RPM limit. This includes HDMLNIUM, SKNHD, SGL, Don's Bolt, Paul Gamino, Dave London, and Vinnie. All of their lower pulleys are 9 1/4" except for Vinnie's which is 8 3/4". Most of them are running a 2.80 upper pulley. Again, except for Vinnie is running a 3.00 upper pulley. So, no JDM customers have to worry about overspinning their blower. The formula is underneath. All of our trucks are shifted at 5,490 RPM's. For those of you with 2.50 uppers and 10 inch lowers you are overspinning your blower.

Lower pulley dia.(inches) X RPM
----------------------------------------- = Blower speed
Upper pulley dia(inches)

Jim also informed me that any 10 rib system or idler tensioner kits that hang off the front of the supercharger is something he does not want and is grounds for voiding the blower warantee. Additional weight other than the stock upper plenum he does not want unless approved by him. Keep in mind he is protecting the best interest of his product. I did inform his that I was going to post our conversation so I know he will be reading this.

Jim@JDM

Old 10-27-2003 | 07:30 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Oh, one more thing I forgot. The adapter plate that bolts to the supercharger was redesigned, not for the Phenolic Spacer but since it was redesigned we could use the Phenolic Spacer on it. You can ask Jim Bell himself if that spacer was redesgined since their first production units because that is the same question I asked him to make sure I was right. They have also changed the rotor pack clearance and the coating on the rotor packs. I know this because I install a lot of them.

Jim@JDM

Old 10-27-2003 | 07:32 PM
jim

is the KB with the phenolic spacer closert than this:

Also by extra weight do you mean the metco idler also?

Just askin

Will

Old 10-27-2003 | 07:37 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Will,

The Phenolic Spacer lessens the firewall clearance less than a 1/4 of an inch. On the picture you just displayed you can see the factory hard plastic wire cover was removed for additional clearance. This means you would have to remove that cover if you wanted to use a manifold like that. Yes, the Metco idlers is one of the things Jim says he doesn't want hanging off the front of his superchargers and will void warantees.

Jim@JDM

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Spanky99L
jim

is the KB with the phenolic spacer closert than this:

Also by extra weight do you mean the metco idler also?

Just askin

Will
Can you say "PROTOTYPE"???

JL does R&D for your benefit and I dont think that he worries about warranty on any of his KB blowers, considering he has been working hand in hand with Jim Bell since the inception of the KB for the L's.

Unless you have had a 2.80 upper pulley made for your particular KB blower, you would be running a 2.75 from KB, and your most likely shifting @ 5650rpm, not 5490.

EPACSE TAERG

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:14 PM
How much is the spacer needed with the twin screws? I can see how it helps the Eaton because it produces so much heat, but how much does it help the kb's? I guess even a twin screw produces heat and the spacer just keeps the heat off the intake wheather you have an eaton or a kb....
thanks, shane

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:33 PM
Hey Jim, thanks for the help Friday the strock breather cap fixed my problem.

Made 3 passes at HRP and in the 11s then had to go home, I need a roll cage

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:43 PM
just so I understand:

1. If JDM installs the Phenolic spacer inhouse on the KB it will not void the warranty, because you are certain not to use bolts that are too long?

2. On the redeisnged model, you CAN use a phenolic spacer?

JDM,
why not include the appropriate bolts with your Phenolic spacer kit that will be installed on a KB?
you could have 2 kits. Kenny Bell Phenolic spacer and the regular phenolic spacer kit?

just seeking information

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:53 PM
Originally posted by l-menace
If JDM installs the Phenolic spacer inhouse on the KB it will not void the warranty, because you are certain not to use bolts that are too long?

Can JDM install or even sell KB's? I have heard conflicting information on this, and would appreciate clarification.

Old 10-27-2003 | 09:31 PM
Jim,

I have a question. Vinnie was at one time running your 8lb lower pulley. What diameter is that pulley? 10"? Thanks

-Mike

Old 10-27-2003 | 10:08 PM
SGL
Originally posted by jarmstro
Hey Jim...

I need a roll cage.

Old 10-27-2003 | 10:33 PM
John it should not be long now..... we should be able to hook up and make a run at HRP. I can't wait to get kicked off the track .

Old 10-27-2003 | 11:36 PM
Re: JDM phenolic spacer problem W/KB

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Grey03
First of all, its a great product and I'm sure it adds something to the overall performance of the truck, but I was asked to post this problem that was found so that many of you that have this product will be aware of it.

The KB blower has an adapter plate that the upper plenum bolts to, the JDM phenolic spacer goes in between the upper intake and adapter plate and is bolted up using the supplied longer bolts. The problem that was found on one recent application was that the bolts were just a tad too long and they threaded thru the adapter plate and started pushing on the blower case itself causing the adapter plate to bend just enough for an unmetered air leak between the adapter plate and the blower case, (read, .006 of an inch, as measured by a feeler gauge) The bolts were not overtightened and torqued to factory spec.

This problem didnt show itself until the upper intake and spacer were taken off to have the blower painted and then put back together, the first installation of the spacer was done by the customer at the track and went smoothly, the person that found this problem can only think that maybe after some kind of squishing by the gaskets and spacer itself occured then the bolts were just a tad too long. He has only seen this problem on one truck so far, but wanted to let everyone know that it is out there just in case.

I'm sure if JDM knows about this or knew about it, that they have already remedied the situation and are offering shorter bolts.

HEADERS ORDERED
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grey03,

This problem was found and has already been addressed. We are now sending out bolts that are a hundred thousanths shorter. KB has also revised their plate to make with deeper holes.

Jim@JDM

It's great that you verified what JL already told us concerning the warranty. It would also be great if you would admit that you embellished the truth in your above statement. You are implying that the plate was revised to address this very issue when it was not.

Old 10-27-2003 | 11:36 PM
Originally posted by mecca
Jim,

I have a question. Vinnie was at one time running your 8lb lower pulley. What diameter is that pulley? 10"? Thanks

-Mike
Mike ,

I answered you on Modularfords.com , but here it is again

8# = 30 and 7/8 th inches around and 10 inches wide (that is lip to lip though)

Since I happen to have a 4#er sitting around. Here is the dimensions of that = 26 and 7/8 th inches around and 8 and 3/4 inch wide.

Old 10-28-2003 | 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Jim@JDM
. . . Yes, the Metco idlers is one of the things Jim says he doesn't want hanging off the front of his superchargers and will void warantees. . .
I'm dying to hear how this adds any meaningful weight to the front of the supercharger:

Given the presence of the bottom bolt and the featherweight construction, I can't see that the S/C is getting any additional weight to speak of.

Maybe Jim meant -- rather than wieght -- that the extra belt tension would potentially harm the bearings?

Quick Reply: Just got off the phone with Jim Bell.....