Lightning

Winter is coming, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003 | 02:12 PM
|
Winter is coming, need some help!

I know that people have been over this before but Im not finding the answers I need about the stock F1 tires.

First, how are they in wet weather. The other day after it rained I got on one of our main roads and I put my foot down, not all the way though. When I did I noticed that I was not going any faster, I then looked in the rearview mirror and saw the backend sliding all over the place. My question for that is are the F1's not able to grip well on wet roads or is it because all the power? My truck is stock BTW.

Second, everybody knows winter is coming. I have been going around trying to find snow tires to put on the stock rims but everybody I talk to say that they don't make them small enough to fit the rims. So I have 2 questions about this. Will the stock F1's be ok in the snow if I put stuff in the bed to weight it down and keep out of the gas or will I be better off finding snow tires? Thats the second question, if I get snow tires, will I have to get bigger rims so I can get some that fit? And if I do that, wont I have to recal the speedo? And where would be a good place to find some rims for cheap.

Sorry for the long post and for bringing this up again but I need help on this because we will most likly have a bad winter.

Old 10-31-2003 | 02:19 PM
Big Man,

I will also be driving my new Lightning in the snow and am looking for some cheap steel wheels and snow tires. I do have some info for you that may help...

Don't even think of driving with the F1's in snow... even with some weight in the back. I would hate to see you post that you slid off the road and crashed!

I noticed that the spare tire on our trucks uses a steel 16 inch wheel with a 235/70 16. I'm currently trying to find a similar replacement wheel that I can mount some 235/70 16 snow tires on. I will also add some weight to the bed, and this combined with the snow tires should be pretty good... for a 2 wheel drive truck. : )

I really think this is the most cost effective approach. I just need to track down the wheels! Can anyone confirm what size bolt pattern the 03 Lightning wheel uses?

Thanks
Greg

Old 10-31-2003 | 02:26 PM
or just garge the truck on bad days and get a gf that will drive u around, thats wat im doin this winter

Old 10-31-2003 | 02:30 PM
my .02?

I would STRONGLY advise NOT trying to drive in the snow with F1s!

they DO NOT WORK! they are just too wide and not a snow tread at all. In fact I believe if you look into the door jamb of any Lightning or '03 Cobra there is a sticker specifically advising you NOT to drive in the snow on those tires!

I have driven both of my Lightnings in the snow and it is not fun. if you get ANY accumulation you are risking getting stuck on every hill. I got my truck stuck half in the driveway, half in the street last winter because it wouldn't make it up my little inclined driveway! you can see in this pic it isn't exactly Mt. Fuji:

I had to literally drag a 600+ pound home gym and weight bench set out of the garage and down the snowy drive and load it into the back of the truck just to get enough traction over the back tires to get a running start and launch it up the driveway (still spinning the entire way)!

it is very nerve-racking not knowing when you are going to become stuck in a the snow in the middle of the street somewhere!

I'd recommend using your spare wheel and tire, it is much narrower and of a much better all-season design.

you can buy/beg/borrow/steal a matching one for the other side.

you might find that alot of guys around here have pulled them off to save weight for the dragstrip, might get a good deal on one!

two spares combined with some weight in the rear and I think it should be manageable.

I believe the bolt pattern is 5x135 if I remember correctly.

good luck.

just an opinion from somebody who's tried it...

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 10-31-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2003 | 02:34 PM
Took a new pic. Im glad it doesnt snow here.

Last edited by LatemodelRacer2; 10-31-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2003 | 02:35 PM
Originally posted by LatemodelRacer2
Dang camera doesnt take good pics. Im glad it doesnt snow here.
This reminds me of myself trying to read while drunk.

Old 10-31-2003 | 02:42 PM
that picture is making me dizzy!

Old 10-31-2003 | 03:00 PM
|
Originally posted by Grandmastr
or just garge the truck on bad days and get a gf that will drive u around, thats wat im doin this winter
I wish I had a gf.

Old 10-31-2003 | 03:01 PM
Do a SEARCH under my screen name and the word 'winter' and you'll find lots of info. Call Tire Rack for a wheel/tire combo quote. ~$700 delivered (I think) for 225 or 235/16's mounted and shipped. I put 500# of sand & salt in bags in a 2x8 crib I made for the bed and get around fine. When it's bad, I put it in '2' (not 'D') and keep it below 40 MPH.

Old 10-31-2003 | 03:12 PM
|
Hopfully I have another month or 2 before it starts to get bad here. Enough time to get some snow tires and rims.

Man, that will take a big chunk out of my back account.

Old 10-31-2003 | 03:40 PM
Old winter wheels Nissan SEV6
New winter wheels 2000 F-150 4x4

Old 10-31-2003 | 03:47 PM
Buy a winter CAR!! Or daily driver

Old 10-31-2003 | 04:01 PM
Does anybody use CHains or tire raps?

Old 10-31-2003 | 04:10 PM
Yeah, I live in South Canada (Burlington, 45min south of Toronto) and this will be my first year in the snow with my L, so what I'am going to do is take my spare tire and match it up to 3 more (Used ones) with same tire and rim so that way I will only have to buy 3 wheels and tires not 4.

Hey any guys that don't use their spare tire want to sell it to me..? Scottyed@cogeco.ca

Old 10-31-2003 | 07:58 PM
Originally posted by superfords

Damn, thats a nice house you got there superfords!!!!

Quick Reply: Winter is coming, need some help!