Lightning

'00 Viper GTS, '02 Z06, or '88 Testarossa?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:01 PM
|
'00 Viper GTS, '02 Z06, or '88 Testarossa?

I'm planning on adding a sports car to my collection, and I have found decent deals on each of these cars. If you had to choose one of the above, and the cost was not a consideration (well, the prices are Z06/GTS/Testarossa, in increasing order), which one would you choose? All cars are bone stock, Z06 is blue, Viper is red, and Ferrari is red. All have low mileage, and are in good condition.

My favorite is the Testarossa; it was the 'classic' Ferrari when I was growing up. It's the most stylish and exotic to me...love the 5 liter V12...the downsides are that it's probably the slowest of the three, is out of warranty, and is expensive to maintain. But it's in a league of it's own otherwise...

The Viper is the most powerful of the group, the 'musclecar'. It's warranted for 7yrs/100,000 miles. It still has an exotic look, and you don't see many of them around. The sound of the V10 isn't the greatest, but I like the torque and instant power. The Z06 is warranted, and has nearly the performance of the Viper, and sounds great; however, they are relatively common (I see four C5 Corvettes at my workplace parking lot everyday).

So, what would you go with? I love the Ferrari, but I'm afraid of being beaten by some kid in a fast ricer...I don't think I'd really 'race' anyone out there with it, but sometimes you just can't help yourself... I also do lots of long distance driving (30,000 miles a year, all vehicles combined), and I don't know if the Ferrari would be up to that task...

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:04 PM
I'd get the z06. That's just me, others are pry going to say get the Testarossa. If I had the money, I'd get a new vette over a Viper. The only bad thing about owning a corvette is the stereotype all vette owners are ****s. But if you got the money, and you're happy, who cares what other people think?
Shane

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:13 PM
psycho guy, owning a hayabusa huh...thats just nuts...but I would almost definitely go with the Z06, its the best daily driver of the three and quite possibly the most reliable also. Its also the cheapest...could accelerate harder than 99% of cars out there, and outhandle most of them too, staying alot more comfortable while doin it. It is alot easier to drive than the rest too. With its active handling and traction control, itll make the worst drivers ever look like pros. They are badass cars...go for it.

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:25 PM
I'd take the Z06

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:32 PM
Go with the Viper. There are too many C5/zo6 cars on the road. If you are going to spend that kind of money get something a little more rare.

Old 10-31-2003 | 08:33 PM
Viper is my pick, ya gotta go with the muscle. ---minus 3 points for being a Dodge

Vette = played, commonplace, unexciting, meh

Ferrari - exotic but slow, too old, unreliable, expensive to fix

Last edited by jaxxxa; 10-31-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2003 | 08:58 PM
Originally posted by potac
Go with the Viper. There are too many C5/zo6 cars on the road. If you are going to spend that kind of money get something a little more rare.
I concer

Old 10-31-2003 | 09:20 PM
get the Viper

Old 10-31-2003 | 09:29 PM
ZO6............

Old 10-31-2003 | 09:46 PM
If you plan on racing, get the Z06. If not, get the Test, that car has also been a dream of mine to own, and really??? How much are you going to drive it? You can also look at the values, and how bad they depreciate, other points made were how many of them are out there. I dont buy a vehicle to be different, but if you see too many of them on the road, they loose there appeal.
In ten years, your 06 will be worth how much? I bet the Test will hold its value.
JMHO
Hak

Old 10-31-2003 | 09:52 PM
From: Kansas City, Pothole Capital of the US, maybe the Western Hemisphere.
Originally posted by Haku
I dont buy a vehicle to be different, but if you see too many of them on the road, they loose there appeal.
I hope not, you own an F-150, the most common vehicle on the road! I like to be different with my vehicles (owned a 74 Javelin/AMX up until last year), but I like the F-150 too much to worry about it.

As for the original question in this thread....

Hard choice....

Z06 wins for everyday driver, cheapest, easiest to mod, all around performance.

Viper wins for pure musclecar, pretty rare, but can mod and find parts for.

Testarossa wins for eye catcher, chick magnet, beautiful rare Italian sports car. But also may have the most cons.

Last edited by rons; 10-31-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:54 PM
thats a real hard desicion to make. I think i would go for the dodge, when i see a corvette im like oh look a corvette, nice, when i see a viper, im like, daaaaayum a viper, Its more eyecatching, and much more rare. In my opinion it just looks nicer, is faster, but might be harder to drive.

Old 10-31-2003 | 09:59 PM
If you want reliable tranportation, none of them are great, but the Z06 is best. If you want raw performance, the Viper's the way to go. If you want a car to drive occasionally, and that will appreciate, get the Redhead. That would be my choice if I already had a garage full of quarterhorses and wanted a thoroughbred.

Old 10-31-2003 | 10:23 PM
While I love Ferraris and I would tell you that there is no curb appeal like a classic TR, you will pay for the car twice in maintenance cost compared to the others.

How many miles are on the TR, because if it is around 30k and that service has not been performed, it will cost you about $5-$8k depending on what needs replacing. The engine is removed for a 30k service and usually the water pump and clutch are replaced at the same time.

Old 10-31-2003 | 10:29 PM
Get the viper!!!! I want one soooooo. bad. Wait..... just spend that money on the lighting and get a built block, kenny bell and a few other things make that truck unbelieveable. If i had to buy one i would definatley get the viper. The testarossa is old, the vette is a dime a dozen and the viper is sweet. id get the viper.

Vinny

Quick Reply: '00 Viper GTS, '02 Z06, or '88 Testarossa?