Lightning

Superfords' Motor Build...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003 | 05:37 PM
|
Superfords' Motor Build...

Chris,

I looked at that also...might have to call Crower out on that one and see what they think the RPM range will be on a 5.4. Figure if it's 500-1000 rpm lower it may not be too bad as far as bottom end goes... I was also wondering about the low vacuum issue also...I've grown to like my brakes.

You'll have to keep us posted on how the new motor turns out. Outside of the Extrude Hone, are you having anything else done to the heads like 5-angle valve job, oversized valves, any other port work, combustion chamber work, etc?

Dan

Old 11-01-2003 | 05:54 PM
well, "supposedly", the extrude hone powerflow process gives "a perfect radius and transition on the valve seat.

"supposedly" you only have to cut the 45 angle for the actual seat.

meaning you don't need a 3 or 5 angle valve job done.

I don't know for sure, but this is just what I have been told.

I'm having the heads independently flowbenched (before and after) on a Superflow to document the results.

I did go with the crower 1mm oversized valves for the intake and exhaust.

I'll be having the machine shop that does the valve cut look at the seats and see what they think.... if they suggest a valve job, then I'll just have them flow bench the stuff AGAIN after to see if a valve job was really needed or not.

Oh, and I got the STAGE 2 Extrude hone as well, supposedly they pass the media through in both directions or something and also port match to the gaskets that I supplied.

so my intake should be portmatched to the gaskets, and the exhaust should be port matched to my JDM/Kooks headers.

Rick at extrude hone told me not to expect any HUGE gains on these particular heads (from his experience doing them for Mustangs). I guess the runner design is pretty efficient already. But I figured the port matching and enlarging of the runners couldn't hurt. supposedly, the process allows for a substantial increase in intake charge Flow and more importantly VELOCITY without just hogging out the runners which can cause a reduction in torque.

I have been curious about this process for years and decided to give it a try, so this is my first experience w/ EH. we are all about to find out if it works as well as they promise, or if it is a big waste of money.

I think alot of people are under the misconception that this process only "polishes" surfaces. this is not correct, as I said , they are removing enough aluminum to gasket match the runners, that is a heck of alot more than just a polish job.

but in any event, we should see for sure how it really works out here shortly.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 11-01-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2003 | 06:05 PM
for those that don't know, this thread is a continuation of a conversation (or whatever it's called on a message board) that Struck in AZ and I were having about camshafts on another thread (the JDM Cam special thread).

I felt that we had gotten off course in that thread and had hijacked their advertisement post into a whole 'nother topic.

so anyway, there is more information in that thread.

I just wanted to get that thread back in the direction that Justin intended, the discussion and advertising of JDM's Cam package Sale.

here's the other thread: JDM Lightning Cam special

later,
chris

Old 11-01-2003 | 09:14 PM
Chris's Schitt is gonna fly

You Mod Maniac You

Old 11-01-2003 | 09:38 PM
Originally posted by superfords

Rick at extrude hone told me not to expect any HUGE gains on these particular heads (from his experience doing them for Mustangs). I guess the runner design is pretty efficient already.
When the guy that is doing a pricey job on your car tells you up front to not expect too much out of it. I would be a little concerned about dropping the cash with him. Though I believe he is probably correct and if cash isn't a problem then what the heck squeeze every available pony out of it.

Old 11-02-2003 | 11:24 PM
Originally posted by GearHead_1
When the guy that is doing a pricey job on your car tells you up front to not expect too much out of it. I would be a little concerned about dropping the cash with him.
hey, I appreciate his honesty.

much better than if he had made me some empty promise of making an extra 50 or 100 hp or whatever.

he told me I should look for maybe an extra 20 hp or so, but nothing huge.

he told me this BEFORE I ever sent him my heads. like I said, I've been interested in this process for a long time and really was wanting to try it out.

the only thing that concerns me is that he said it'd be a two week turnaround, and it's already been 3 and they apparently still haven't gotten to my heads yet

later,
chris

Old 11-03-2003 | 08:33 AM
Vacuum....

Quote:

"... I was also wondering about the low vacuum issue also...I've grown to like my brakes."

Hey guys-

Check (search for) my thread on the Comp Cams Vacuum Canister.

Works awesome, installs a breeze.

No problems since install.

-Andy

Old 11-03-2003 | 10:39 AM
please keep us updated with details as flow improvement and actual gains.
also what RPM you gained the most power.

A friend has custom cams in his but they make most power high in the RPM range.
Perhaps this will allow that range to extend to lower RPMs

Quick Reply: Superfords' Motor Build...