Lightning

Experts...Need Help with my misfiring (still), what now???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 07:32 AM
|
Experts...Need Help with my misfiring (still), what now???

PLEASE HELP!!!! Sorry for the long post.
Well, this has been a 2 week dilemma. Here goes:
The truck has 40000 miles on it (2000). 2 weeks ago it had a 4lb pulley, NGKTR5 plugs, PSP chip, and many other bolt-ons. The chip was burned for a 4lb and a 6lb. That was the day where I switched to a 6lb pulley and changed to Denso IT22 plugs. Right away I had a miss at low RPM's and cruising speeds. It would miss in 1st gear at 15mph before it shifted gears. I could also have the cruise set at 60mph and you would hear a slight miss. I pulled out the Denso plugs and put in NGKTR6 plugs gapped at .040. The miss remained, so I was told to lower the gap to .035-.036. By the way, the plugs are brand new. This did not change anything. I then changed the rubber boots under the coil packs...again nothing! I went to the local ford dealer and they ran a test on the truck. It showed that 4 cylinders were losing power (or seemed to have a miss) at low RPM's. They showed me the graph and you could see how the peaks dropped. The cylinders were #1,4,5 and 6. I decided to change a couple of the coil packs. I changed #1 and #6, but there was still the miss. The funny thing is that when they scanned it again, cylinders 1, 4, and 6 were the ones that showed up as being "missing". There are not any leaks from hoses. I was told maybe to get an injector flush, so I did...and still, the miss is still there. Over the past couple days, it seems top be getting gradually worse. To re-cap, I have changed to NGKTR6 plugs gapped at .035, changed 2 of the coil packs, changed all the rubber boots under the coil packs, and had an injector flush. ANY OTHER IDEAS??? Sorry for the long post, but I hope this explanation will be enough for someone to chime in with another suggestion. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 11-05-2003 | 12:12 PM
Is it possible that the insulators on you plugs are broken, and causing a skip

Old 11-05-2003 | 12:53 PM
This is a SWAG : Could be grit, sand, rust dirt, etc. around those plug holes in the heads--insulating the plug 'electronically'--interrupting the electron flow to 'ground'

Dan

Old 11-05-2003 | 03:28 PM
4lb lower and TR5's is a bad combination as is a 6lb lower and TR6's gapped at .040. IT22's gapped at .036 is a good setup and if the truck still missed, I would be doing compression checks because of the other bad combinations you had. To much heat in the cylinders. Were any of the pulled TR5 plugs burnt up? Only other thing would be to check fuel pressure or possible bad fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Experts...Need Help with my misfiring (still), what now???