Lightning

A deer crossed right in front of me this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 06:19 PM
|
Unhappy A deer crossed right in front of me this weekend...

while I was going 60 mph at night...did some pretty good damage to the front end. It just jumped out in front of me, from a wooded area...by the time I saw the deer, the airbags went off with an orange flash, then I went 'blind' due to the smoke, and couldn't hear due to the loud bang and sudden pressure change in the cab. Oh and I was out of breath after being pummeled by the airbag. Didn't even have a second to react. There was no way anyone could've avoided the deer. Luckily I stayed in control, and was able to pill off the road safely. Found the deer on the shoulder, still intact, but banged up really good. Had to be at least 175 pounds or so, according to the state troopers/game warden.

The grill was destroyed, bumper trashed, bumper frame was bent back and it ruptured both front tires, all 5 radiators were damaged and leaking, hood dented. The engine kept running afterwards, so at least it's probably unharmed. Definitely startled me for sure! And I was aware that deer season here just started, so I was on high alert for those 'beasts'...

Anyway, truck will be at the insurance's recommended repair shop tomorrow...anyone have any advice, especially when dealing with insurance companies and collision shops? I've never been in a wreck before, so I'm not too experienced with either of them.

Lesson: Bambi can really ruin your day (and your truck!)

Old 11-05-2003 | 07:04 PM
Insist on taking it to a shop you have confidence in and insist on Ford parts (if for no other reason than to maintain your warranty). I read somewhere that if your truck is less than 12 months old they have to use OM parts - don't know for sure. Bambi definately needs a bullet in the brainpan if within 100 yards of a highway.

Old 11-05-2003 | 07:06 PM
Atleast you hit the deer instead of trying to swurve (swerve?)... dodge... that'll suffice. anyway, atleast you didn't dodge it and go flying off of a bank (if there was one) or go head-first into a tree. Salvage the antlers for a hood ornament?... jokes. Glad your o.K.

Old 11-06-2003 | 12:13 AM
Account Suspended For 30 Days For Using Multiple Screen Names

Originally posted by SVTARKANSAS
Insist on taking it to a shop you have confidence in and insist on Ford parts (if for no other reason than to maintain your warranty). I read somewhere that if your truck is less than 12 months old they have to use OM parts - don't know for sure. Bambi definately needs a bullet in the brainpan if within 100 yards of a highway.
Amen, ^

Atleast you were not hurt. Thats the main thing. Depending on the Insurance company you could be in for a ride or a treat. Best of luck bud

Pat/Bluelightning

Old 11-06-2003 | 12:49 AM
stay away from caliber collision. Try Alamo Paint & Body on DeZavala.

Old 11-06-2003 | 03:50 PM
|
My insurance recommends Caliber Collision...they said if anything goes wrong with their repairs, they (insurance) will cover any future problems (related to the repair) for as long as I own the vehicle. What have you heard or experienced with them?

Also, I have the Ford extended warranty...will repair by non-Ford people void my warranty?

Old 11-06-2003 | 05:05 PM
sucks bro.

Whenever i read things like this i have to wonder, what the hell was the deer thinking?

Old 11-06-2003 | 06:57 PM
I would give Ford a call and ask them about the warranty after repairs. Probably have to go up the chain to a zone rep (or whatever they call them these days) to get a good answer but it's probably worth the effort. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2003 | 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Nathan
stay away from caliber collision. Try Alamo Paint & Body on DeZavala.
Ah, it's your truck, but you did ask for advice. I would probably stay away from Caliber.

Old 11-06-2003 | 07:29 PM
That sucks ZX12
Glad your ok and the truck will be back
Hope it's fixed better than new in no time

Old 11-06-2003 | 08:13 PM
A couple of days ago the car two lanes over nailed one. Totaled the guys Lincoln! At least he got him and not me.

Old 11-06-2003 | 08:45 PM
Hey ZX, you're lucky it was in your truck and not on one of the bikes. As a fellow Busa rider, I hate riding at night this time of year - the idea of ripping a deer in half scares the crap out of me.

Matt

Old 11-07-2003 | 08:50 PM
|
Originally posted by illegalspeeds
Hey ZX, you're lucky it was in your truck and not on one of the bikes. As a fellow Busa rider, I hate riding at night this time of year - the idea of ripping a deer in half scares the crap out of me.

Matt
No kiddin'! Immediately after the accident, I kept replaying the event in my head, thinking what would've happened if I had been on one of my bikes. I don't think I'd be sitting here typing this out! I bet the bike would've either cut the deer in two, or just got knocked down, sending me head first into the pavement or into a tree or oncoming car. I've had so many close calls on my bikes over the years, and I've always wondered if it's worth the risk. Sometimes your time is up, but in this case, being in the L saved me.

I decided to let the recommended shop do the work, and it looks like they will be using all Ford parts, especially since it's an SVT. They said most of the damage was cosmetic and radiators, and it shouldn't take more than three to four weeks (mostly due to ordering parts). So things are looking better.

Old 11-07-2003 | 09:07 PM
Ouch...well, at least you weren't damaged...the truck can be fixed. Enjoy the chance to flog a rental.

BTW, make sure you get an itemized list of parts with Ford part #s on it. It should be on the contract or estimate, with a signature on it. If not, they can show you a list of parts, and put on whatever brand they want. I found this out in a previous accident. They showed me a list of the parts, but the contract just had a parts and labor totals. When I insisted on the OEM parts,(signed, itemized list) they wanted more....needless to say, I went elsewhere. Non-OEM parts are NOT warrantable.

Quick Reply: A deer crossed right in front of me this weekend...