Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 11:27 AM
|
Ford gets funding for more SVTs

Some interesting news.

SEMA 2003: Ford gets funding for more SVTs

By Dale Jewett
Automotive News / November 05, 2003

LAS VEGAS -- Ford Motor Co. will spend more money on performance vehicles as part of its effort to create a slew of products, the heart of Ford's revival plan.

"For the next three to four years, we will invest more in SVT than we've ever invested before," said Phil Martens, Ford's group vice president for product development, at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show here.

Martens would not say how much money is being spent on the performance vehicles, or how much the budget for such vehicles has increased.

Ford's competitors also are putting more money into developing high-performance versions of their cars and trucks to woo enthusiasts and cast a halo over the rest of their lineups. Within the last year, General Motors and the Chrysler group have created units to develop high-performance variants. Import-brand automakers also are touting high-performance vehicles and parts.

Ford's Special Vehicle Team, or SVT, is the engineering unit that develops high-performance versions of Ford Division cars and trucks. It is one of three groups under the Ford Performance Group, created this year, to coordinate high-performance vehicles, parts and accessories for the automaker's various divisions.

SVT is putting the money toward next-generation high-performance versions of the redesigned F-150 pickup, which is badged the SVT Lightning, and the SVT Mustang Cobra, said John Coletti, head of SVT. The current SVT portfolio includes a high-performance Focus.

The introduction of the new SVT Lightning is expected in one year. The new SVT Mustang Cobra will follow the introduction of the redesigned 2005 Mustang within a year of its fall 2004 debut.

Money also is being spent on SVT versions of other vehicles in the product pipeline, Coletti said. "You also have to do more with each new generation of a product to keep it ahead of the pack," he added.

Coletti would not identify which products his group is working on, "but I like the idea of doing a sport wagon," he said. "It's a nice way to get more utility in a vehicle with carlike features."

Ford's future product plans include the Futura and Five Hundred sedans and Freestyle sport wagon, and a Mazda6-based Ford-badged sport wagon. The 2006 Futura will be one of about 10 Ford Motor vehicles to be based on the platform used for the Mazda6. One reason that Ford chose the Mazda6 as the base for many of its future products is that the platform can be equipped with all-wheel drive, Martens said. "Over time, John's group can take advantage of that," he said.

Martens said he thinks awd will become more popular with U.S. consumers in the future as a performance feature - valued either for its ability to improve traction or driving performance.

Martens said he expects the technology to be available on the Futura as well as the 2005-model Five Hundred and Freestyle.

My F150online Photo Gallery.....My Modifications

Hello, my name is Dave and I am an "L"coholic!

Old 11-06-2003 | 11:37 AM
Great news!!

Thanks for the scoop!

Old 11-06-2003 | 11:42 AM
Re: Ford gets funding for more SVTs

Originally posted by builtfordfast

Coletti said. "You also have to do more with each new generation of a product to keep it ahead of the pack," he added.

the all new SRT-what? viper powered what? 500hp? that's it? LAME!

Old 11-06-2003 | 12:44 PM
Right now I an NOT impressed with SVT due to issues with rough
engine idle on my 01 L...I previously posted about my difficulties
resolving the rough/twitchy idle between the dealer and SVT...
a lot has happened since those posts and have not updated any info since I'm waiting for more concrete resolution...I wish I had John Colleti's email address...I dont think he would appreciate the
"dropping of the ball" in taking care of a SVT customers vehicle problems...Right now my dealer is trying to hopefully resolve this
issue (at this stage I choose to believe him)...and to be fair and reasonable to the dealer, must wait to see how the next diagnostic/repair? steps proceed. I believe in giving appropriate time and courtesy in trying to "fix" seemingly complex or difficult technical problems. I will post the situational time line when hopefully this stuff is resolved. Since 1996 have had 3 new SVT vehicles plus a Bullit and if it is not resolved or I get the "run around" I WILL NOT be getting any more SVT or Ford vehicles period and I have been a Ford guy my entire lifetime.
Shame on you Ford IF you DON'T do the right thing.

I 'm sorry if I put a negative slant on what would otherwise be
a positive thread.

Last edited by Georgia_Moon; 11-06-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2003 | 12:50 PM
Siiiiiick!!! More money leads to more power!!!!!!

Georgia....sorry about your problems. Hopefully with the new funding SVT will be able to afford a little more R&D to iron out any of the little wrinkles that come with a small underfunded division.

That thing got a hemi???????????????

Old 11-06-2003 | 12:55 PM
whip:

Thanks for responding...the dealer's General Manager is now involved with communicating with SVT and is trying to clear the air and get to the bottom of this craziness...

Old 11-06-2003 | 03:18 PM
I've noticed my idle getting worse over the last few weeks it will idle and then like it is almost missing every now and then but it is not as hard a bump as a miss let me know what you find out Georgia moon!!!!!
jeff

Old 11-06-2003 | 03:57 PM
georgia-SVT:

Jeff...is your truck stock?...how many miles on it?

Sounds like we may be having similiar or related problems...
Will certainly post any new info I get...you may wish to look at my previous post "rough idle" etc. My rough idle is continuous and
no computer error codes are shown...where things are sitting now
is an SVT engineer is suppose to communicate to my dealers service manager and technician about the next course of action to find the problem.....and this has been since Oct 17th waiting for SVT and the dealer to get together....like I said prior, this may be my last Ford.

Thanks for being a Fireman...2 members of my family are Fireman
and EMT's.

Last edited by Georgia_Moon; 11-07-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:09 PM
Well it's a 2001 has 22,500miles on it I have a #3er FTVB with 4x4 pan, 160deg thermostat, Drop in K&N with a modded stock air box.No chip oh and dual magnaflow exhaust with x-pipe.I'm a firefighter and will be a EMT soon it is a pleasure to serve you guys. Sorry for the thread highjack.
jeff

Old 11-06-2003 | 04:24 PM
Jeff....we have the same L.

Old 11-06-2003 | 04:59 PM
No wonder my truck has a idle problem what did you do to it????? Maybe it it's just the silver(confederate gray) lightning that have this problem.
jeff

Old 11-06-2003 | 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Georgia_Moon
...I wish I had John Colleti's email address...I dont think he would appreciate the
"dropping of the ball" in taking care of a SVT customers vehicle problems...
jcolleti@ford.com

Old 11-06-2003 | 06:37 PM
Fast Gator:

Thanks Gator...that e-mail may come in handy...
By the way wheres my clear liquid??? you said your
"UPS girl" would pick it up...are you leading me on again
Mr. Fast Gator???

Old 11-07-2003 | 08:48 AM
Hey, georgia-SVT!

Long time no see.

Did you replace your plugs yet? That might fix your idle problem. You have to be careful with the 01'-02' Lightnings spark plugs, you might have one loose.

I would get those new ones in.

Old 11-07-2003 | 08:54 AM
No I got them(NGK TR6) but I am not looking forward to changing them weather is a little cooler here and I got a buddy here with a Lightning whoi said he would help me change them I guess I need to get to work.I sent you a e-mail I went to the track on oct 25th and ran it in the 1/4 got a 1340 @ 102mph I thought that was pretty good.
jeff

Quick Reply: Ford gets funding for more SVTs