Lightning

Procharger on a L... Coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003 | 01:44 AM
|
Procharger on a L... Coming soon

*DISCLAIMER*
Sorry.. It was late and I thought the 03 in the last post of the thread was a L. It is a Cobra though.

So you can check out the thread for info on the Cobra blower. Not for an L.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...&threadid=6504

Last edited by VINNIE; 11-07-2003 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 04:38 AM
Did I miss something ??

I went thru the thread pretty well and didn't read anything about a Lightning kit......not that I'm interested

One guy did mention that they were talking about doing a kit for his 03. Personally I'm not sure it would work, you would be fighting to get your 60' times back.
Dale

Last edited by Bad as L; 11-07-2003 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 04:42 AM
Cant wait for more info. Looks like a pretty cool kit on the cobra. Wonder how bad the tq loos would hurt our heavy trucks though...

Old 11-07-2003 | 05:47 AM
Vinnies Dyno Numbers

Are we already looking for more HP you Ga-Vone
Before you know it, you'll look like this .

Your worse than a Crack head V, -->"You Lightning Head"

Old 11-07-2003 | 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
Vinnies Dyno Numbers
Your worse than a Crack head V, -->"You Lightning Head"

Old 11-07-2003 | 07:06 AM
I was standing next to ATI's '03 Cobra for two days at SEMA. I have been talking with them about the project for months now. I can tell you for certain that there is currently no plan to come out with a ProCharger Lightning kit. This is not rumor or speculation on my part. I have been ATI's attorney for five years now.

I have been discussing this directly with Ken and Dan Jones, the brothers who own ATI. They have to decide how to best allocate resources. The potential L replacement market is so small that they are better devoting their limited resources in other directions (sport compacts and Harleys are the hot markets now).

But, it can be done. Silver State Motorsports makes a sheet metal intake to replace the blower. You can then run any turbo or centrifugal you want. ATI already makes an F150 system, so the bracketry is already there for the blower.

Just as with the '03 Cobra system, you would have a choice of sticking with just the stock intercooler or going with the stock intercooler plus an additional air-to-air intercooler (the Procharger F150 intercooler can be used).

Will the "torque loss" hurt our trucks? No sir. There is no torque loss. The boost curve is different, yes. But there is still so much more power available from a centrifugal that it will still outrun a roots or twin screw. Plus, as was found with the Cobra, bringing the power on more gradually can actually help with getting power to the ground, as wheelspin is less with a centrifugal.

I am going to try the ProCharger one day. Perhaps if significant interest is generated, ATI may decide to offer an L system -- if for no other reason than that the ATI guys love disspelling myths such as "torque loss." But there is currently no plan to do so.

Old 11-07-2003 | 07:41 AM
blah

Old 11-07-2003 | 08:14 AM
In the lastest issue i have of MM FF it has a turbo on a 03 cobra and it goes through the stock supercharger with the rotors removed.It says the power gais brought the engine up to 400hp. I thought they were getting that hp from a air filter not a 3,000 turbo. Page 120 december issue.

Last edited by LatemodelRacer2; 11-07-2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 08:23 AM
|
HEHEHE... Got everybody thinking.

Actually, it was late when I posted that thread and I thought the last post with the 03 guy was an L . Now that I reread it after some sleep he has a cobra.

Did look cool on the Cobra though.

My bad.

VINNIE

Old 11-07-2003 | 09:23 AM
well i'm in the process of getting my parts together to do a paxton novi 2000 on my truck look for it next spring at an nmra race near you starting in georgia.

Old 11-07-2003 | 10:38 AM
Originally posted by VINNIE

Actually, it was late when I posted that thread and I thought the last post with the 03 guy was an L . Now that I reread it after some sleep he has a cobra.

My bad.

VINNIE
You were right the first time. One post reads:

"Hey, BAKNBLU, I watched your car get dynoed, I must say, VERY IMPRESSIVE!! The procharger was making the exact same psi as the KB and well over 100 more rwhp! This stage 1 kit uses only the factory intercooler and the trusty P-1SC.

Roots guys will like the big top end pull of the centrifugal, but will miss the instant throttle response of the Roots. Torque just comes in a little later...

We're talking about doing a similar kit on my 03 lightning next!

This guy is obviously close to ATI, but his post is misleading. While he may be "talking" about a ProCharger for his truck, there is no "talk" of an L kit, at least not right now.

Old 11-07-2003 | 10:48 AM
Originally posted by VINNIE

My bad.

VINNIE
Don't you own half of a Cobra?? HMMMM..... Ideas

Old 11-07-2003 | 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I was standing next to ATI's '03 Cobra for two days at SEMA. I have been talking with them about the project for months now. I can tell you for certain that there is currently no plan to come out with a ProCharger Lightning kit. This is not rumor or speculation on my part. I have been ATI's attorney for five years now.
I have been discussing this directly with Ken and Dan Jones, the brothers who own ATI. They have to decide how to best allocate resources. The potential L replacement market is so small that they are better devoting their limited resources in other directions (sport compacts and Harleys are the hot markets now).
what confidentiality??? JK

Old 11-07-2003 | 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Will the "torque loss" hurt our trucks? No sir. There is no torque loss. The boost curve is different, yes. But there is still so much more power available from a centrifugal that it will still outrun a roots or twin screw. Plus, as was found with the Cobra, bringing the power on more gradually can actually help with getting power to the ground, as wheelspin is less with a centrifugal.
Wait doesnt "the boost curve will be different" essentially imply that there will be a loss of torque number? My guess is that your going to make a ton of horse power but in higher rpms and then math just beats the crap out of you and puts out less torque numbers. Not trying to flame or dispute it or anything just trying to learn. I thought in general centirfugals are the more effeicient blower as opposed to twin screws or roots style, however they still require higher rpms to operate effectively, somewhat simliar to a turbo.

Edit: or is that all true what i said, it just makes gobs of more power so the torque numbers remain high?

Old 11-07-2003 | 09:50 PM
Originally posted by l-menace
what confidentiality??? JK
Believe me, I re-read every word of the above post before I clicked the "submit reply" key. The above information was relayed to me by the ATIguys with the knowledge that I would be sharing with readers of the L boards.

That is one reason that ATI is discussing doing a one-off centrifugal install on my truck. If, as is likely, a dual-intercooled centrifugal outperforms all others, then ATI gets good PR in a highly educated market. And they get one more data point to prove that the advantages of a roots or twin screw in the lower RPMs is overrated (especially on a heavy truck, where it is supposed to matter the most).

Quick Reply: Procharger on a L... Coming soon