Kenne Bell blower w/3.2" upper
4lb lower 8.75"
Should make about 15lb's boost
JDM Air filter & boost bye pass
FTVB
New plugs
Reburned flip Chip
Flowmaster Exhaust

I don’t drive it at WOT for more than 15 seconds. 130mph on a dyno in fine for me. Either you WON or lost within 10 seconds on the street. I'm not about how fast it will go but how fast I can get there. 0 to 100 is what’s it about! Top Speed for street is way too far gone for any Lightning to ever see.

Built short block? Why? What’s wrong with GOOD gas? I've never seen any motor blow that was running good gas. What is actually killing our motors? Bad gas? If it pings, Get out of it!

Old 11-07-2003 | 06:03 PM
Thats a fine set-up, and totally safe as long as you run
2 ranges colder of a plug,(IT-22's, or NGK BRE 7's), a rich tune, and lower timing (due to the KB.)

I run 15lbs of boost and 75HP of juice on a stock Motor
and at 16 degrees of timing.
(18 Degrees without Juice)

Safety is all about hi octane, cold plugs, and a rich tune

Last edited by Rob_02Lightning; 11-07-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 06:46 PM
I too am running a KB on a stock longblock. I initially had a 4lb lower with a 3.5" upper and was making 14-14.5 psi(before Long Tubes). With a KB you need to keep a close eye on your boost guage. That sucker will continue to build boost as the rpm's rise, and has a tendency to "spike" right at the shiftpoint.

I am now running a 2lb lower (which enables me to utilize the "quick change" KB upper pulleys to more easily control boost levels UP or DOWN) with a 3" upper, which hovers between 13-15psi b/w 4000 & 5000rpm at WOT, but will spike to 16 right at the 5200rpm shiftpoint (JL has her shiftpoints set a little low in an effort to reduce the stress on the rods). I have the 3.5", 3.25", and 3" uppers, so the highest boost I can run 15-16psi...which helps keep me from getting greedy. In the event it turns really cold, I can go up a pulley size to keep the boost levels in check.

As far as driving characteristics....I ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY agree with you. Sustained top end runs even in a lightly modified L are unbelievably hard on the reciprocating assembly, in terms of stress. Like yourself, I only run mine through 5000rpm in 3rd gear, and will NOT even consider full boost in O/D. While there are no guarantees, once you're pushing the envelope on the stock internals, as we are, there are things we can do to help relieve the stress on the motor....at least to a point.

Sorry 'bout the novel...

Later,
Rob

Quick Reply: Is this safe?