Lightning

Lateral G on L?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003 | 05:49 PM
|
Lateral G on L?

Do u guys know? I thought I saw a post about it somewhere, but I can't remeber where.

I think the post mentioned that the L could take a lateral G of 0,8!!!! is it true?

Old 11-09-2003 | 06:24 PM
|
I found a link about it. Thats good

http://www.spikeengineering.com/lightning/99-back.jpg

It says that the 99 L could take a lateral G-force of 0.85.

What kind of cars can this be compared with?

Old 11-09-2003 | 06:25 PM
Well...

I've seen printed claims as high as 0.85, but I think that most reputable mags get numbers down in the 0.7's.

I suppose that I could head down the the Wal-Mart parking lot with the G-Tech, then again...

Pimped out for the track (like Pawn or Speedin Bob or Ruslow...), they corner like a MOTHER!

I'll tell you this, though, when you're in a slow corner at full G-load, and the thing bangs the 1-2 shift at 3/4 throttle, you're gonna get passed. By the tailgate. Happened to me yesterday getting on the interstate. Auto transmissions and road racing make strange bedfellows.

You in Norway? I have a lot of family in Denmark. Was just over there last month, in fact.

Old 11-09-2003 | 06:33 PM
|
Yepp..... Norway

I was "over there" some weeks ago (that means USA for us in Europe )

I visited a pretty know guy around here. He lives in New Providence (PA) he he he

Old 11-09-2003 | 06:34 PM
bmw 330i, .86g
svt focis=.85g
g35=.86g
xjr=.86g
slk32amg=.85g
lexus sc430=.84g
subaru wrx=.84g

Old 11-09-2003 | 06:41 PM
|
Wow. Does this mean that the L can beat the Subaru WRX through the curve??.... or on the racetrack?

Would that be the WRX or the WRX STI?

Old 11-09-2003 | 07:19 PM
I dunno about max g's, but I'll take the stability of the L any day on the street compared to any other solid axle, V8 powered machine. My L is actually faster on several of my favorite sections of road compared to what my Cobra would do. Not all, but some. My L is totally stock, and unlike Silver-Y2K-SVT, my experience has been that the torque reduction allowed for full throttle upshifts without losing the tail end, unless in a tight corner which wouldn't allow full throttle anyway. The L won't do nearly as well in the slalom as many smaller sports cars, but it will stick just as well, especially on smooth flat corners.

Old 11-09-2003 | 07:32 PM
OK...

Gang:

Should mention that I have a Factory Tech Valve Body (torque reduction on), plus a good 380+ RWHP.

An upshift while cornering at 3/4 throttle or more puts it looping into the weeds, guaranteed.

Just tooling around today (42 degrees F), a full-throttle 1-2 upshift blew the tires off and unspooled two 200-yard stripes until I had to lift due to scary yaw.

I don't know how you road race guys do it with the slushbox.

Old 11-09-2003 | 07:46 PM
Originally posted by The Norseman
Wow. Does this mean that the L can beat the Subaru WRX through the curve??.... or on the racetrack?

Would that be the WRX or the WRX STI?
No. The lateral g measure is a steady-state measure only. One could get a schoolbus to make .85 g's, but it would not be quick on the track.

What lateral g's fails to measure is the ability to change directions quickly. The slalom is a better measure of that.

Lateral g's also fails to account for how well a suspension works.

The high g numbers generated by the L are largely the result of the sticky F1s. There is no black magic underneath -- just a garden-variety truck suspension.

Old 11-09-2003 | 07:56 PM
I have seen as high as .87G's printed for a 2001 Lighnting.

But as mentiones thats just sustained G's. DOes not mean the car/truck is tossable and "handles" well on a course.

Old 11-09-2003 | 08:03 PM
I road race my truck. I setup my valve body and chip tune for mild shifts. Going through turns I select my gear and use throttle position so it does not downshift through the turn. I know exactly when it is going to shift and control it through throttle angle. My truck like most can break the tires loose with power. But like most of road racing it is driver skill. We drive some powerful machines but it is in the driver's hand to make it smooth which equals fast. I do believe the FTVB shifts a little harder than necessary for road racing.

Old 11-09-2003 | 08:13 PM
There are more of us "pimped out for the track" as you say than just Pawn, Speedin Bob and Stan (RUSLOW). While my truck would not hang with Stan's it is as "pimped out" as any other I know of. Tim Skelton, Nathan, and soon (if not by now) Edward have decent left/right L's also! I will admit we are the 1%'ers though!

On the Automatic thing.....you are right about a standard being better than the auto for the twisties but if you learn to use the go pedal like it will break if you hit it too hard then you can get by with the auto. If you do like I was at first (use the go pedal like an on/off switch) then you will be in the weeds!

Jerry

Old 11-09-2003 | 08:58 PM
just a a short note on skidpad numbers:

each skidpad is different and the surfaces have differing amounts of grip. You can't compare numbers unless you know the numbers were generated at the same location in the same atmospheric conditions.

Old 11-09-2003 | 09:05 PM
Three Little Dots...

Jerry:

Hence the three little dots ("...") after the three listed names.

Old 11-09-2003 | 09:47 PM
Driver skill is the MOST important part of handling. The truck might not have the corner speeds as many cars[ie speed thru the corner or 'carrying speed']But what we lack there we more than make up in torque.Remember torque gets the vehicle moving and we have huge amount of it over many cars.And that is where the majority of the lightnings are passing [at the end of a turn]starting down the straight.Not so much at the end.
Our transtion from left to rite is way slower than the cars but it should be we outweight them by atleast 1200# and our CG is higher which also effects it.But for a pick up it HANDLES!!Stan

Quick Reply: Lateral G on L?