Lightning

supercooler in next gen lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003 | 03:31 PM
|
by an electric cooler, I assume you mean a thermoelectric (peltier type) device.

Yes, there are peltier coolers that can chill fluid, but to make them efficient enough to cool the fluid would require voltage (and wattage) beyond anything someone would consider reasonable.

12vdc thermoelectric devices just don't have the oomph to get it done...

The a/c line is an issue at the track... yep... not much you can do there... but on the street, it would be fun.

electric was my first bit of research in this adventure. Basically the formula consists of the insulating capability of the storage tank, the heat generated by the electric pump cooling the fluid, the watts of heat generated in the fluid (in this case near zero as the tank is isolated until used) and the eletrical current required to cool the fluid approx 120 degrees. That design would require huge peltier devices running at a minimum of 24 volts. The weight would quickly overcome any gains not to mention that the system would take hours to reach very cold temps...

Even with almost no load, the best I could come up with was about 25* difference in ambient. Assuming the underhood temp is 130 degrees or so that's still 80 degrees fully chilled... In order to get down into the 30s, I'd need the whole engine compartment for batteries, cooling plates, etc...

bottom line.... electric isn't going to work...

Old 11-14-2003 | 03:52 PM
Originally posted by ken800
bottom line.... electric isn't going to work...
Thanks for a good write up there Ken

Too bad, electric seemed nice.

Old 11-14-2003 | 04:43 PM
Ken, Let me know how things pan out. I'm intrigued.

Old 11-14-2003 | 05:57 PM
Yeah, but look here www.decolabs.com

Kits in production now, for L's & 03 Cobra's. With every thing you need. Dropped IAT's on some tested L's from 160f to 50f.
One guys says this ET droped 5/10s. Another's RWHP increased 46 HP. Retail $1000.00

Old 11-14-2003 | 06:01 PM
|
I've spoken with him and he didn't indicate he had a system ready to go for the Ls. How does it plumb in? How does it feed the intercooler system? Vacuum 3 way valve? 1000 bucks seems way steep unless that is including gauges, switches, valves, brackets, and every little detail addressed.

I'm not so sure I like the "pizza bag" solution for insulation.

Quick Reply: supercooler in next gen lightning