Lightning

SRT-10 News

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003 | 06:10 PM
2 former lightning owners in Dallas who are current or former Prowler owners as well are claiming up and down that the SRT-10's started shipping last week.

They also told me how the SRT-10 would kick Lightning ***. I said when "your buddy that has on one order" actually gets his call me ....

Old 11-17-2003 | 08:09 PM
They are shipping

I was traveling for work in Central Illinois last week on a major highway. From my hotel, I saw car transporters go by all day. I saw 3) Red SRT-10s on different transporters. I have the 2004 Regular Ram brochure and it has a page for the the SRT-10. The Dodge dealership can pull them up on their computer and order them right now. The websites that have been showing the Concept trucks basically show 2 trucks. The black one has 24 inch wheels, duals with one on each side, and a hard bed cover with integrated spoiler. The red one is what is in the brochure: 22 inch wheels, removeable flow through spoiler, duals; but both on one side. I'm shopping for a 2004 Lightning, but the SRT-10's manual transmission sparked my interest.

Old 11-17-2003 | 09:58 PM
Talking Struck by lightning

Well i can see now that the srt- 10 owners will be struck by lightning they have 500 horsepower trying to out preform our lightnings that is not going to happen

Old 11-17-2003 | 11:44 PM
FuB
Originally posted by builtfordfast
Speaking about Dodge, has anybody heard anything about a "Dodge Dakota Rage" ?
I kid at my school has a dodge stampeed. If thats what your talking about. The only difference that I see is that it has little ground effects.

Old 11-18-2003 | 12:20 AM
What's the big deal w/ the Hemi.. isn't it actually a step BACK from our current motors?? Isn't our current combustion chamber, spark, fuel delivery, etc. design an improvement from the "hemi" design? I'm probably wrong about something, but I just wanted to ask the question (which has already probably been asked).. please educate me thanks.

Old 11-19-2003 | 10:53 AM
Hmmmm......., for all the smack that is talked about the SRT-10 and the hemi engines; mostly negative on this forum. You folks need to educate yourselves just a tad more before shooting your mouths off. Reading these post clearly shows there is concern on the lightning owners part that there will be upcoming truck wars and lightnings are in the for front as tried and true performance machines. As for even thinking the 5.4l is comparable to the 5.7l hemi, you have to be kidding. If the 5.4l was so good, why would ford be redesigning it to keep pace with vortec and the hemi? I think lightnings are awesome trucks and I respect them without reservation. Just remember your blown and the hemi isn't and neither is the srt-10. Sounds more like biased, uneducated panic in these forums and I really expected more from the lightning owners than just bad mouthing competition before it's even on the street. Sorry to rant but grow-up!

Old 11-19-2003 | 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pyssed
Hmmmm......., for all the smack that is talked about the SRT-10 and the hemi engines; mostly negative on this forum. You folks need to educate yourselves just a tad more before shooting your mouths off. Reading these post clearly shows there is concern on the lightning owners part that there will be upcoming truck wars and lightnings are in the for front as tried and true performance machines. As for even thinking the 5.4l is comparable to the 5.7l hemi, you have to be kidding. If the 5.4l was so good, why would ford be redesigning it to keep pace with vortec and the hemi? I think lightnings are awesome trucks and I respect them without reservation. Just remember your blown and the hemi isn't and neither is the srt-10. Sounds more like biased, uneducated panic in these forums and I really expected more from the lightning owners than just bad mouthing competition before it's even on the street. Sorry to rant but grow-up!

very true... I dislike Dodge pretty strongly, but no one has seen an SRT-10 run down the strip as of yet, and not that many Hemi rams have been blown as of yet, that KB Hemi that was in Truckin looks like competition to me....but I welcome it, its actually kind of boring being able to smack every other truck on the road...I want a rival...and I think Dodge will supply one, chevy sure hasnt

Old 11-19-2003 | 11:38 AM
Next time I see an SRT10, hemi ram, or hemi durango I hope they have something for me. Until then you dodge lovers are all talk.

Old 11-19-2003 | 11:41 AM
Well put Easter!

Old 11-19-2003 | 11:42 AM
Well most trucks wouldn't be a challenge to you Easter. You have the increase of power most can only wish for, the camper top.

Old 11-19-2003 | 11:54 AM
Originally posted by pyssed
...concern on the lightning owners part , ...uneducated panic in these forums and I really expected more from the lightning owners
Nobody is panicking. Dodge boys still got to get the power to the ground. All the crap excuses about NA vs. Supercharged doesn't hold up. Dodge picked cubic inches to compete with Ford in this segment. They had the Hemi and they could have supercharged it to compete. They didn't and there must be a reason why they chose the expensive Viper drivetrain. They're even late bringing this choice to market for reasons yet to be seen.

Any dummy can do the math. 33k for an L plus 5k for mods will eat the SRT-10's lunch any day and have at least 5k left-over. An L is always going to be a better choice and it looks sooooooo much better too.

Old 11-19-2003 | 12:11 PM
Originally posted by jc_atl
What's the big deal w/ the Hemi.. isn't it actually a step BACK from our current motors?? Isn't our current combustion chamber, spark, fuel delivery, etc. design an improvement from the "hemi" design? I'm probably wrong about something, but I just wanted to ask the question (which has already probably been asked).. please educate me thanks.
You know you are correct Ford put a supercharger on the 5.4 and threw it in the lightning.
But what you forgot to mention is that dodge had to add 2 extra cylinders to compete with the lightning.

I currently own a Lightning and I'm very aware of what it can do.
Do you own a SRT-10? what can it do? Yeah, I didn't think so.

What pisses me off is all the dodge boys are talking about how great the srt-10 is. NO ONE OWNS ONE THOUGH. And with the price I doubt they will.

C'mon it is $15k more than that lightning and EVEN IF the magazines results are true. It's SLIGHTLY faster thant he Lightning 0-60.
If we were to even out the Playing field, dollar for dollar, the Lightning would walk, no RUN away with the title.

I can't wait until I line up against one on the street or track, I'll asking him why he just got beat by a truck that is $15k less than his!

Old 11-19-2003 | 12:26 PM
It will be nice to have the competition out there on the streets, tracks and where ever, for they will be setup so very similar to us. Due to weight and aerodynamics, they will have no real advantages or disadvantages over us. They won't be able to run from a roll any better than us, and they will surely not be better in highway races. The only possible advantage that they could have is the manual transmission for clutch dumps. Those of course are only good on slicks when making that kind of power, so we won't see that happening anywhere on the street. The fastest times we have ever seen anyone run on 22's is in the low 12's, and that was with optimal conditions at the track. Of course the same can be said for the F1's, since even the best of us cannot squeeze better than a 12.2-12.3. With a decent driver and good traction they will surely take a number of stock Lightnings, but how many of us are still stock?

I welcome the opportunity to run one anyday (win or lose), so I hope that they do get around to producing these things.

Old 11-19-2003 | 12:27 PM
The part that amuses me is all the bench racers that say the hemi or the srt10 or WHATEVER will kick my lightnings ***.

Well my lightning has almost 70,000 miles on it and has raced countless times under countless conditions and won many of them. AT this point the SRT-10s that have been run are all pre production versions if not concepts that were driven by dodge pro racers against competition that they were set up to beat for PR purposes.

So what we are bench racing against is a fictional truck with fictional stats and fictional traction issues and fictional ease of shifting etc.. So we are making up numbers for all those categories in such a way that it fits the arguers point.

My truck wil run mid 12's under most conditions with most any tire combination and an idiot ( me ) beghind the wheel.

What will mean something to me is the first time a NON Dodge employee lines up against a stock or not stock lightning in a documented comparison.

In other words once someone with some credibility in the lightning community gets beat then I'll start worrying...

By then we'll be talking smack about the next Lightning.

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 11-19-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2003 | 12:48 PM
Originally posted by l-menace
talking about how great the srt-10 is. NO ONE OWNS ONE THOUGH.
Just like the Lightning owners talking about how slow the SRT-10 will be, and how they'll whip on them. NO ONE OWNS ONE THOUGH.

Quick Reply: SRT-10 News