Lightning

Firefighter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 03:42 PM
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:05 PM
|
Suspended For Vendor Rules Violations
i'm obviously not going to toy around with them when i dont need them so i dont think i will have to worry. i decided to go with the siren, corner strobes and one grill light. paid about 650 overall but most of it comes with a 10 year warranty. i'll try to get some install pics when it arrives.

Old 11-21-2003 | 06:43 PM
I'm with HEVYRESQ, we usually take the engine and rescue truck to the scene and the volunteers or "call" guys as you put it met us on scene in their vehicles. Then the city put a stop to it because the public complained of being run off of the road by the guys doing exactly what your wanting to do. It was a huge mess here, we are all buddies with the cops here too but they couldnt do much to help those guys out when the city council (who signed their paychecks) got involved. Be careful if you do this, we have also been pulled of of calls before to respond to a wreck involving one of those volunteers trying to race to a scene.

Old 11-21-2003 | 06:59 PM
I think what jimma and most others are referring to is driving to the station to man an engine,truck or squad, not drive directly to the scene to participate. I have a full compliment of warning lights and siren due to being a Lieutenant/Field Supervisor, occasionally I do use my personal truck at the scene as a command vehicle, or if there is inclement weather or situation that warrants 4 wheel drive, but I prefer to ride the seat on the Rescue, where I feel most at home..but thats another topic for another thread. Jimma Im lgad you found what you wanted, please post pics of the install, Im sure it will look clean! One thing, im not sure what year L you have but if you have the "fluted" side marker lights the position of the strobe is crucial so you will have the correct light dispersion. If you have the 01 and up clear marker lights, this shouldnt be too much of a concern, one word of advice though. Those strobes use a 1'' hole that has to be drilled in the rear of the housing. This will def. hurt the resale value of your truck with a big hole clearly visible in the side light (for 01 and up lights), and the price of new lights is NOT cheap! Just food for though. Also, before you drill, look very hard at the rear lights, make sure you find a spot to drill that will aloow the most light dispresion, or if you can find a spot that is NOT lit when the brake light or running lights are on, that would be best, once again best of luck!

Medic

Old 11-21-2003 | 07:37 PM
|
jeez its true on here too.....full timers are threatened by call guys. and yes we goto a station and pickup the firetruck and then to the fire. i guarentee you what i am doing is legal. medic....you're the man! you seem to understand what i'm saying. where i come from we have our own fire station for the call guys. there is only one full timere station but 5 call stations. we have to get to the station quicky....but this dosnt mean we drag race to the scene....if the speed limit is 45....i go 50-55. the call guys rely on us to be there even though they cant admit it....but awell. thanks Medic

Old 11-21-2003 | 09:41 PM
At the risk of turning this into a vollie vs. career argument (been in too many of those).. too many people don't understand that we have to get to the station somehow. In my area, it's legal for us to run green lights, though it doesn't give us any specific rights or powers over anyone else - you must stick to the speed limits, obey all traffic signals, etc - it's only a courtesy light. Our 'county' has elected to not install the bylaw that would enable the above, though. (The county, municipality, or region has to enact a bylaw permitting the use of lights, as covered under the provincial traffic act.)

Just as not every L owner races on crowded downtown streets, not every volunteer (empowered to use lights/sirens or not) drives like a maniac. Before the county decided not to enable the green light law, we had a setup in place on my volunteer department that said, anyone wanting to run a green light has to have the permission of the Chief, and his vehicle details will be provided to the local police. The members understood that no abuse of the privilege would be tolerated, and the chief would suspend any members found doing anything against the law, on top of anything the police came up with. This was all moot when the county chose not to allow the green lights, but I mention it to point out that many volunteer departments have programs in place to handle this sort of situation. Please don't paint all volunteers with such a broad brush.

Just remember... it doesn't start being an emergency when we get to the station and get on the truck. It starts long before that...

--j.

Old 11-21-2003 | 10:45 PM
run green lights
Jay911, I run green lights just about every day, dont know what ur talking about...PS im not a firefighter either? Never thought it was illegal though...

Old 11-21-2003 | 10:58 PM
D'oh, I knew that would cause confusion after I posted it.

"Run" for me means to equip a vehicle with said equipment. When I'm talking about "running" green lights, I'm talking about a flashing, revolving green lamp on the dash or roof of my car.. much like your police/fire/EMS "runs" red, blue, or white lights (or a combination thereof).

Sorry!

Old 11-22-2003 | 12:07 AM
i think we should get back to Lightnings......:o

Old 11-22-2003 | 01:07 AM
The vollies have to get there on time....I mean....who ELSE is gonna reload all the hose?
heh heh, just kiddin guys. Nothin but love.

Vollie for 5 years (And I didn't drive crazy either)
Paid for 7. (Now I'm just plain crazy!)

Old 11-22-2003 | 04:15 AM
No ,but I drive a FIRE Truck!

Alot of Chevys and Dodges havin' trouble fightin' the FIRE in this Town...

Old 11-22-2003 | 01:01 PM
|
i have permission to run red and white lights along with a siren and strobes......anyone get to do this? some people dont understand that just because we have this stuff on our trucks dosnt mean we hit 110mph down main street to get to the station.....atleast not all of us thanks guys vollies rule

Old 11-24-2003 | 12:47 PM
I have run lights and siren on my truck since I started as a volunteer firefighter. Here in Ohio, your vehicle must be inspected by the engineer of the department and you must have both an over head, 360 light as well as an audible siren. There was nothing special about it. All departments here locally are volunteer except for the city departments. My pager goes off and I respond to the station... all traffic laws must be obeyed. The lights only allow for traffic to move over and get out of your way. The same applies for driving the trucks to the scene.
Right now, I don't even use lights or a siren as I walk to the station, and I am always the first there as it is. It helps that I am only about 200 yards from the station

Quick Reply: Firefighter