Lightning

Seat Belt/Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Belt/Air Bag Light

The seat belt/air bag light in the lower right hand corner of the guage cluster keeps flashing at me when I start my truck and then it will stay on. I just finished putting everything back in my truck after gutting it to put in some sound deadening material. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is I unplugged the wiring going to the seat belt latches. So to fix this all I need to do is unplug the battery to reset the ECU? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Re: Seat Belt/Air Bag Light

Originally posted by My Red-Rocket
The seat belt/air bag light in the lower right hand corner of the guage cluster keeps flashing at me when I start my truck and then it will stay on. I just finished putting everything back in my truck after gutting it to put in some sound deadening material. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is I unplugged the wiring going to the seat belt latches. So to fix this all I need to do is unplug the battery to reset the ECU? Thanks!
You can try that, but I don't think that will take care of it as I don't believe that the seatbelt light would be hooked through the computer. I would check the connection of both seats and make sure they are totally seated. It sounds like a bad connection.

Old 12-02-2003, 03:31 PM
It's not the seat belt light with the chime, it's the other in the lower right hand corner of the gauge cluster. It's an amber color. Usually only comes on when you first start the truck. There is only one set on wires going to the seats and that's on the drivers side. I made sure to plug that in, so... I'll check it again. Got any other ideas though? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Question

T T

Old 12-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Did you try checking the fuse? When I sold my '98 Cobra to my buddy, he had some work done to it, and a similar situation occurred-the airbag light would flash when he started the car, and eventually stay solid in color after a couple minutes (as if it were flashing a code). He ended up taking it to a auto-electric shop and they found that a fuse had blown from the front airbag sensors.

Old 12-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Ok, I just checked the fuse and it good. Hmmm, when I was taking the drivers side panel off a yellow three pronged clip thing fell out. I wasn't sure what is was and I couldn't see where it came from or where it might go. So when I was reinstalling everything I left that out. Is it important? Also, when I was installing the sound deadening material I unplugged the wiring harness going to the seatbelt latches, could that some how be causing the light to go off? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Just some ideas that I just thought about. Do I need to reset my airbag control unit? This there a reset button? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Old 12-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Air bags are not something you want to mess with. It can really hurt and be expensive if one of them goes off in your face.

It is prob just a coincidence that the air bag light is blinking after you did the work.

Is the light blinking in series of 3 if it is I bet the clock spring is gone. It happened to me in my last F150. The clock spring is between the steering colum and steering wheel. I would bring it to the dealer and have them read the code for the air bag light.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I was really hoping that it was something I could fix but I'll take it down to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Haven't had a chance to go to the dealer yet, but I noticed that the light blinks 4 times and then 6 times in a repeated pattern. Anyone have any ideas what that might mean? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:52 PM
the airbag light cannot be "reset".

the restraint control module or airbag diagnostic monitor does a "system check" every time that you turn your key on. if it sees a problem it will illuminate and or flash out a LFC trouble code and store a code in the RCM.

it is probably no coincidince that it started going off after you took your interior apart. the yellow 3 pin plug that you left out was probably there for a reason. it sounds like a jumper connector and now the RCM wants to know why you have an open circuit there.

the 4 flash then 6 flash thing is Light Flash Code 46. it will point the technician in the direction of what is wrong. I'm having trouble with the website right now or I'd give you the definition.

go back and find out where that yellow connector came from and plug it in. then double check to make sure that you plugged in all of the connectors under the seats and such (like to the seat belts. then turn your key on and see if the light is out. if not, then take it to the dealer ASAP.

when the RCM detects a fault, it disables the entire system for your safety (to prevent an accidental deployment). This means that your airbag system is NOT operational whenever that light is on.

good luck.

later,
chris

Quick Reply: Seat Belt/Air Bag Light