Lightning

Newbie, Looking to Buy a Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003 | 05:23 AM
|
Newbie, Looking to Buy a Lightning

Hi Everyone,

Let me introduce myself, My name is Mike I live in Tucson Az, I am 22 years old and I currently drive a 87 Toyota Supra (non-Turbo). I was going to do a motor swap but after looking into it I have changed my mind. I can't find a reliable fuel tuner for the car and don't want to nickle and dime myself to death trying to get all the parts I want to get into the 12's in the 1/4 mile. From what I gathered that I am going to have to buy at least two different fuel tuners together to tune it properly. By the time I get the car done it would cost me around 15-19 grand to do what I want. Plus I will have to run race gas to drive that fast on a daily basis. I would also have to wait for the turbo to Spool up. I can't get a loan for parts but I can get a loan for a car/truck.

I have always loved F150's and I want to get a 99-03 style Lightning . I love the looks of it and I heard they are awesome trucks and come fast from the factory. I just wonder what kind of known problems that I need to watch out for or get done so I don't have to worry about repairs like MK3 Supras Blow head gaskets unless the head is torque down tighter with a new metal head gasket. Also I have been looking at the performance packages offered by www.rpmoutlet.com that would add ~131 rwhp and a Moto blue exhaust system that adds ~50 rwhp for about $2300 shipped. My last question(s) is, if upgrade my lower pulley, intake, headers, exhaust, no cats, plugs, FTVB, heatexchanger, Diablo sport chip, MAF and throttle body, about how much will I gain, what would be my estimated E.T., and what kind of gas will have to run?

Sorry for the book but I would really love some help and hoping that I could become a true Lightning owner and member of this forums.

Mike

Old 12-07-2003 | 08:29 AM
Hey Mike, WELCOME ABOARD

The L would be an AWESOME CHOICE, believe us.

Most years have some known problems, I'll give short version
99 + 2000 = leaking intercooler, less HP, less gear, smaller MAF.
01/02= no more intercooler prob's, 3.73 gears, 90mm MAF, 380HP.
All 4 of these years are unfortunatly also known for spitting spark plugs, and even a very ocassional head gasket leak. There are only like 4 or 5 threads in the Alum Head, eventually they spit.

Even know I have an 02, I'd have to say 03/04 is the yr to buy

Starting in 03, they have plenty of threads for spark plugs,
and they also use a beafier block with more surface area to seal the head against, also a new and improved head gasket, and also there's talk the crank/rods are a little stronger. (not positive)
THAT IS THE WEAK LINK ON ALL MOD YR's ---> ROD'S
After 500HP or so, you are walking a thin line with a stock lower,
I'm at that point now.

With that said, take any 01-04 add a simple Filter-Chip-N 4-6lbs of lower pulley and you are in the 12's. 99/00 you would need to upgrade the MAF to 90mm, maybe go for the 3.73 gears, and MAKE SURE the intercooler has been changed to the new style.

4lbs are the safest to run 24/7 as a daily driver, even know some of us run more, I run 6lbs 24/7, some even 8lbs 24/7.
That is however pushing it, and could cost you in the long run.
With 8lbs, and other Mod's like Headers, Cat Back, Cooler Tank, and Electric Fan's/Cobra Pump, you can get into the 11's.

I run 11's but I use a 100% stock everything with filter-chip-6lbs-Accu-Fab T/B-and 75HP of Nitrous

GOOD LUCK

Old 12-07-2003 | 12:45 PM
man you hit it on the head ROB. I ran a 8.12@ 89mph with just a chip, 4lb lower and K&N drop in.

Old 12-09-2003 | 03:42 AM
|
Thanks alot guys. I can't wait to get one. I was just wondering, when would I have to run race gas. Will it be needed for just lower pully, intake, exhausts, headers, chip, and 90mm TB? Also does that octane booster that is sold in auto stores like Checkers or AutoZone, what does that really work and how much does it work.

Old 12-09-2003 | 05:28 AM
Mike
you shouldn't need race gas or additives on these mods. I did the additive once, Chip wasn't tuned for it , a week of hassle & a set of plugs to get it running normal again. 93 octane is all you need..
Mine is 02 W/ tb, 4lb, flip chip,elec fan, cobra R water pump, 170 therm, jlp cold air, cat back. 93 oct 24/7, 12.9s on street tune &nittos- 12.6s on race tune.
Good luck, And try to keep it at the track.

Old 12-09-2003 | 09:27 AM
AzBigMike, I just so happen to have a 2000 in the classifieds right now, and I live in Phoenix! https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4620

There is a TON of great info on this site if you are looking for advice, this and NLOC is the place to find it!!

I had a plug blow about a year or so ago, and Ford replaced the head in 2 days without question, it has also had the intercooler replaced under the recall, although it never leaked, just a proactive previous owner... These trucks are amazing, and respond very well to mods!

Psst, btw, mine is silver, and mostly stock... PM me if you are insterested...?

Old 12-09-2003 | 11:51 AM
Cool

Rob did an excellent job of describing the overview One thing worth mentioning too, if you run at the track with sticky tires? The 01+ has a bigger driveshaft made out of aluminum that's stronger than the steel 99-00 ones.

Personally, I'd suggest you buy a 01+ model. And see my mods as for what I suggest.

BTW: Check out my web page (and Robs as well)

Rich B

Old 12-12-2003 | 01:37 AM
|
Drkone

Yeah I am interested, how much? I will be probably end up buying one near the beginning of the new year. I am going to finance it so when I get approved I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Newbie, Looking to Buy a Lightning