Lightning

Videos of my truck and Jeff's truck on the dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Videos of my truck and Jeff's truck on the dyno...

You need quick time to view them I think. Sorry they aren't in media player, my buddy took them off the camera, then put them in a file for me. I must thank Spank Dog for hosting the videos. Jeffs lightning is so loud! It sounded awesome in there with the long tubes, and the blower. He put out some solid #'s.
Nice job again Jeff.

Shane dyno video
Jeff dyno video
Shane

Old 12-11-2003, 11:22 AM
nice vids....what numbers did you guys put down ???

Josh

Old 12-11-2003, 11:29 AM
My dyno graph looks nothing like yours in your sig. By the way I love your sig pic. I dynoed at 412/491. I was hoping for 415/515 but it looks like there is something wrong with my truck on that dyno... it spiked and looped both times. Jeff put out some real solid #'s 430/ 500+ I think...

Shane

Old 12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
I have seen a lot, but nothing like that...............and watch that A/F.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:01 PM
I asked JDM about the air fuel #'s and he said from that dyno they don't mean anything. He said it was dynoed wrong. what do the #'s show it is running lean? Can someone tell me more about air fuel and running rich and lean?
Shane

Old 12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
i think at sea level and 78 degress or something the air to fuel ratio is about 14.7:1 (probably off on all those numbers, but they should be close). This means that you will chemicall use all air and all fuel in the chemical reaction with none of either left.

anything where there is more fuel than air (14.7 or less) its called rich. and vice versa is lean. However, obviously you cannot run hard that close to 14.7 for many reasons. One is because the conditions simply change to much for that ratio to be accurate, and the other being that runner richer (and this is the best explanation i've got, i would love to have another if its valid) provides some cooling properties in your engine function that allows it to run at those higher rpms without blowing up.

You look ok, your at 12 near the end which is probably leaner than most want to be. I think 11-11.5 is kinda a good standard with 10-11 for the real high horsepower monsters. The beginnning of your chart is where i would be concerned.

Again i have no idea what to make of that chart, i think you have a dyno problem, not a truck problem. Kinda looks like your bogged for fuel or something. You change your filter right?

Old 12-11-2003, 12:34 PM
ShaneMcKenna203 My dyno graph looks nothing like yours in your sig. By the way I love your sig pic. I dynoed at 412/491. I was hoping for 415/515 but it looks like there is something wrong with my truck on that dyno... it spiked and looped both times. Jeff put out some real solid #'s 430/ 500+ I think...
Thanks for the compliment Shane, glad you like the sig, it took a lil while, but I think it was worth the effort on my friends PC....your right about the graphs looking nothing alike....Might be something in the chip ?? I'd get it looked at before something goes boom.

Josh

Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Shane,

Played your video and just listened to it without watching it and you can here the pitch of the blower change mid-pull. I would say that the loop in your graphs has something to do with the converter in your truck. You can hear the pitch of the blower change for just a split second and then it picks back up. I've seen spikes in dyno graphs from torque converters and I even dynoed a friend's truck that did exactly the same thing.

The loop in this case was caused by the converter...almost like a funky issue when lock-up happens. It looks like yours may start slipping at about 37-3900rpm and then suddenly 'grabs' again at 43-4600rpm which would cause the loop that you see (it's almost the same as a when a vehicle shifts during mid-pull...you'll see a loop back because the rpm's drop down and a huge spike in hp and torque readings). You may want to dyno your truck at another shop (but I doubt that will make a difference) or possibly ask Jim about a reburn (have him check how the program is bringing in converter lock-up and it might not be a bad idea to get your A/F's taken care of at the same time...I'd ask him to shoot for 11.5's on the A/F).

It also looks like your truck is realistically making just a shade under 400hp...find the highest point on the curve after the loop and that should give you a pretty good idea of your max hp reading. As far as torque goes, it would be impossible to tell what your max torque may be because the dyno operator didn't even start the pull until 3200 rpm...well past your torque peak. There's no reason that he shouldn't have been able to start the pull at 27-2800rpm.

And just for the record, the above pull was not done with a JDM chip but with a chip from one of the other supporting vendors.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 12-11-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting Shane..

Old 12-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
As far as torque goes, it would be impossible to tell what your max torque may be because the dyno operator didn't even start the pull until 3200 rpm...well past your torque peak. There's no reason that he shouldn't have been able to start the pull at 27-2800rpm.

Dan
The dyno operator tried to start one pull at 3 or 3100 and the trans shifted down into second..

I don't know of one chipped Lightning that has started a pull under 3K...Maybe they are out there but I have not seen it on the dyno...

Old 12-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeff,

I stand corrected...I went back and looked at all of my dyno runs and most of them did indeed start at 3200rpm with the occasional pull starting at 3100rpm. My bad...

Old 12-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Jeff,

I stand corrected...I went back and looked at all of my dyno runs and most of them did indeed start at 3200rpm with the occasional pull starting at 3100rpm. My bad...
No problemo...

Old 12-11-2003, 03:01 PM
All I know is
I LOVE THE WHINE
and can't imagine life without it

Great Vid's
Great Numbers my Brothers
and don't sweat it Shane, you got PLENTY MORE

Old 12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
Thanks for posting Shane..
No problem man.
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

Great Vid's
Great Numbers my Brothers
and don't sweat it Shane, you got PLENTY MORE
Thank you very much. I am thinking about taking it to a different dyno before the end of the year. I just dont know when I have time. No offence to the place I brought it to, they were real good there. I just want to try this one place 5 minutes from my house...
Thanks, Shane

Old 12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by grinomyte
You change your filter right?
yes I changed it a few thousand miles ago. Thanks for the info on lean and rich... i am going to dyno once more, and go from there... It's never ending!
Shane

Quick Reply: Videos of my truck and Jeff's truck on the dyno...