Lightning

Welcome me to last week, SRT-10 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003 | 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
I agree with you to a point about competition is good for everyone. However, in this case there is “no” competition to be found.

The SRT-10 is no where close to the term competition. They are in a league of their own. The league they belong to will drag down all other performance competition as far as the consumers are concerned.

You have a big truck, with huge cubic inches, big horsepower numbers and big torque numbers with a BIG *** price tag to go with all that.

In the end it is, at best, equal to a Ford Lightning. Maybe a little better, and maybe not. However the Lightning, compared to the SRT does not have huge cubic inches, big horsepower numbers or big torque numbers and the best thing about it is it does NOT have the huge price tag of the SRT.

Yes the SRT will be competition for the Lightning and the sad thing is the SRT will get beat at times by the Lightning with all the smaller numbers including price.

How one concludes that is competition is beyond me. What Dodge will do is find enough morons to buy an overpriced truck with big numbers that will basically “equally” compete with a Lightning.

The question is ”How is that competition going to help the everyday person looking for performance?”

The answer “may” be that since enough morons went out and bought an overpriced SRT truck at approx. $45,000 that is “basically” equal to another performance truck at approx. $30,000 will tell corporate America that the Lightning is WAY UNDERPRICED for a performance truck.

That sure helps with competition…
I understand what your saying, but the reality is, the next generation Lightning will be in the $40,000.00 price category regardless of what Dodge does. Now with that, you will get a truck that will be pushing the 500hp category. Why 500 hp? Because that's the mark that Dodge has set. It unfortunately will probably come in at around 5,000 lbs also. As far as comparing cubic inches, one maker chose cubic inches while another chose a blower to get those kind of numbers. It seems rather irrelevant in the long run. What might shock some people, a KB blower on a hemi has easily produced 500 hp. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next SRT-10 to come out with a supercharged hemi. That would just drive up the value of the 04 SRT-10 with the Viper engine as a collector and make the investment that much better for those that purchased.

Regardless of how one wants to categorize the Dodge, purchasing one could be a very nice investment, and without it, Ford probably wouldn't be looking to raise the hp to 500hp in the next generation. Yes it's going to cost more, but that's just life in the performance world. Don't just blame Dodge, Ford is a player also.

Last edited by MaxTorque02; 12-13-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2003 | 08:21 PM
MaxTorque02,

I stopped supporting Dodge when the Germans took over the company and set the American V.P.'s up. They made it look like the American upper management lost 10 billion and then fired them all and mostly replacing their positions with germans. Then having a 10 million dollar party a month later over in germany.

This was their conquering moment after WWII. Owning a major part of Americas industrial strengh. That is why Eaton has to live on the run the rest of his life. He will always be looking over his shoulder. As well he should be. Many lost their jobs to the german take over. No matter what emblem is on the fender!! The germans own them now and I don't support them.

$45K for a powertrain molded after a late 80's bench-marked lamborghini. This truck isn't chit!! I'll keep my Ford lightning. I'm not as happy with it as I should be. It's still American engineered and made by our allied brothers and sisters to the north. When I beat that truck. I beat the germans too!!

I don't really care if someone buys it and sit's on it like a goose egg in their garage. It won't be worth much when word gets out they don't run much faster than a stock or slightly moded current Gen 2's for $13K more.

Bring that over priced viper stickered turd to the tracks...Let's see how many doctors, dentists and yuppy boys actually do drive it like they stole it....Just take it to the track.

GO U.S.A.!!

P.S. Ford's next gen will not be 40K. Ford needs to stay with the current GEN 2 range to sell 5K units a year. Ford needs to make $$$ back from the R&D. It will cost less due to the development of the GT. They will be taking some of the technology from that vehicle. It won't be that expensive...wait and see.

Last edited by Thor01; 12-13-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2003 | 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Thor01
MaxTorque02,

I stopped supporting Dodge when the Germans took over the company and set the American V.P.'s up. They made it look like the American upper management lost 10 billion and then fired them all and mostly replacing their positions with germans. Then having a 10 million dollar party a month later over in germany.

This was their conquering moment after WWII. Owning a major part of Americas industrial strengh. That is why Eaton has to live on the run the rest of his life. He will always be looking over his shoulder. As well he should be. Many lost their jobs to the german take over. No matter what emblem is on the fender!! The germans own them now and I don't support them.

$45K for a powertrain molded after a late 80's bench-marked lamborghini. This truck isn't chit!! I'll keep my Ford lightning. I'm not as happy with it as I should be. It's still American engineered and made by our allied brothers and sisters to the north. When I beat that truck. I beat the germans too!!

I don't really care if someone buys it and sit's on it like a goose egg in their garage. It won't be worth much when word gets out they don't run much faster than a stock or slightly moded current Gen 2's for $13K more.

Bring that over priced viper stickered turd to the tracks...Let's see how many doctors, dentists and yuppy boys actually do drive it like they stole it....Just take it to the track.

GO U.S.A.!!

Man, you have some pent up anger. USA is a great place to live, but if you think the Germans are unique to what you are talking about, well you've got an education coming. It happens everyday here in the good ole U S of A.

I thought we were more mature and past the "my dad is better your dad" mentality that seems so prevelant when discussing the Dodge SRT-10. It's just another truck for people to choose from. Ford makes a nice vehicle and so do the other manufacturers. It's what makes it so great with the amount of choices we have. Just think where the American automobile would be without the Japanese coming into our marketplace. Like em or hate em, you can't argue that they haven't helped all the car makers develope a safer and much better vehicle.

Old 12-13-2003 | 10:30 PM
MaxTorque02,

Nah! I'm not an angry person. I just got done working on a 63 Plymouth Savoy, Max Wedge 426 car. I worked on the same owners 68 real HEMI roadrunner. I love the dodge and plymouth classics. I don't like the curent day Damn near chrysler corp.

Manufacturers make good and bad. I'm not happy my Lightning is going in next Wed. to have the rear window seal, drivers side clunk, severe piston slap & vibration in sterring wheel and brake pedal, heater makes ticking noise and both the passenger side and drivers side windows stick half way when going down.

Ford needs to do it better. This is bull chit. It only costs Ford $13,000 to build the gen 2 Lightning. This is the kind of stuff we put up with for Ford to make maximum profit? I would have payed extra on A plan to have a better engineered truck!!

I used to work at Ford and cared!! They let me go to budget restraints. Now they don't have enough people to catch the quality concerns happening now. Ford's present and future customer's will be doing the R&D on their new cars and trucks. My 01 is my last new Ford until Ford changes the way it's doing business.

It's still better than a dodge. The SRT is over priced for the lack of performance you get. If it's still in the 13,s it didn't do anything for competition. If they were in the 12's then that would have really put the heat on SVT.

Last edited by Thor01; 12-13-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2003 | 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Thor01
MaxTorque02,

Nah! I'm not an angry person. I just got done working on a 63 Plymouth Savoy, Max Wedge 426 car. I worked on the same owners 68 real HEMI roadrunner. I love the dodge and plymouth classics. I don't like the curent day Damn near chrysler corp.

Would you laugh at me if I told you my mom had a Mercury Cougar that could give a Hemi Roadrunner a run for the money, both being stock? I sold my car just so I could use hers my senior year in high school. It was a 1968 with the stock engine and just some minor tweaking from my dad. That son of a bitch was fast. Those old muscle cars were fun at the time.

Old 12-14-2003 | 04:42 AM
The January issue of Motor Trend has the SRT-10 running the 1/4 at "13.86 @ 101.49". Those numbers are little slow for a truck with that kind of power, I ran 13.56 @ 101 stock at full weight. Motor Trends numbers (1/4 times) are slower than most vehicles can run. They rate the SRT-10 at 5150 lbs. Even with a 300 or 400 lb weight difference than the L, the SRT should pull 12's. The SRT-10 is going to be KING of MUSCLE TRUCKS.....8.3 liters.....500hp/525tq. I think all of us performance guys respect awsome vehicles. The SRT doesn't really compare with the Lightning because of price, $46,200 + mark up (how many will they make, and how long?) any Lightning with $15,000 in mods will be a 10 or uuuuhhm 9 second truck! I've dreaded the day that this damn truck would come out, because we are now falling second. I can't wait to get the jump on some unsuspecting SRT owner with his 6 speed vs my auto! At least the days of the MUSCLE CAR or TRUCK are back!

Old 12-14-2003 | 04:02 PM
Why is it that PVO won't let the mags RW dyno these pre-production trucks? I find it hard that all the people at the variouse mags can't drive a stick. Ever heard the term, "RINGER."
I don't think ANY company let's a mag test a PREproduction model to that degree. That's kind of standard practice. In fact, most dynoed vehicles are done well after the new model is out. Ringer? Could be, I suppose, but these motors are hand assembled. We know from Vipers that dyno numbers are around 430ish to the wheels. With the same motor and tranny, it would seem logical that the truck should do similar numbers.
You see their comercials advertising street racing with a HEMI. Oh, I get it...We'll just decieve the public in thinking we make fast trucks. That's obviouse with the last few HEMI rams trying to pick a one sided race with my L. They all found out soon enough that their HEMI equiped truck isn't that fast after all.
Whoever made up the marketing for the new Ram ought to receive a raise. It was marketing genious. I'm not sure how you think they "deceived" anyone. If it was a line up against a gen 2 L, then I would agree with you. It of course wasn't. Furthermore, it's downright accurate when your comparing it to something in its class. Unless your telling me that a 5.4L NA truck will take it. Is that what your saying??
PVO also knew the company didn't have a auto-trans in their closet that could hold up to a viper engine. They kept the stick!! Stupid engineering move that will cost them in the long run...
I agree on that one. Bad move. It should have been a blown hemi with an auto.
I'll tell you what dodge brought to the table? A big ugly over priced truck that has a V10, cause their lame hemi dosn't have the grunt to do the job!!
That statement is laughable. You don't want to know what that hemi would post for numbers if it had a forged assembly with 8.5 comp. and a blower. Have you even seen the specs on that motor? I have and it has awesome potential.
By the way, it sounds like you think your dakota is on bad race truck. Your qoute, " lets just say you want none of what I could give you." Care to elaborate on that? You wouldn't happen to reside in the state of Michigan would you?
Not race truck, daily driver.(accept in winters) I actually live pretty close.(MN) I'm always up for a good race with a gen 2. If you think you got enough.
Tom

Old 12-14-2003 | 04:57 PM
Cool

Unless your telling me that a 5.4L NA truck will take it. Is that what your saying??
No problem, been there, done that, MANY, MANY times......

Old 12-14-2003 | 10:01 PM
Not stock for stock you won't. It won't even be close.
Tom

Old 12-14-2003 | 10:18 PM
what gears does the hemi come with stock? 3.92?

Never raced one with my reg truck yet, hope too.

Old 12-14-2003 | 10:20 PM
Originally posted by onebaddakota

Not race truck, daily driver.(accept in winters) I actually live pretty close.(MN) I'm always up for a good race with a gen 2. If you think you got enough.
Tom
I would take that race anyday!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2003 | 12:08 AM
Cool

Not stock for stock you won't. It won't even be close.
Well since all the reg-cab, short box HEMI trucks around here run 15.4E.T to 16.0E.T at my track STOCK, and the REG-CAB, SHORT BOX, 5.4 F-150's run 15.7E.T STOCK (some quicker). That's only about 3 tenths difference. So for a truck (HEMI) to have over 85H.P more that the 5.4 (260H.P) and better gears 3.92 vs 3.55 and they run that close. That's just a plain out embarrassment for the HEMI and DODGE.

Old 12-16-2003 | 08:36 AM
Yea...limited production. Just like the lightning, only 4000 made!

But, It's gotta be perty when you open up that hood and show off a V10.

Old 12-16-2003 | 01:58 PM
But, It's gotta be perty when you open up that hood and show off a V10.

I would rather open my hood to show off a KB or Magnum Powers.

Old 12-16-2003 | 02:59 PM
Question

how about a Novi2000 and a V-10, is that anything?

Doh!

Quick Reply: Welcome me to last week, SRT-10 1/4 mile