Lightning

spark plug question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003 | 07:09 PM
|
Question spark plug question?

Hi, I am the owner of an 2002 L. I have been a member here for a long time, but I have never posted anything on the message boards. I am confused about the sprak plug issue. Do the spark plugs unthread and then shoot out, or do they just blow right out of the head without unthreading? Any response would be appreciated, Thanks.

Old 12-13-2003 | 07:26 PM
All of the 99-2002 Lightnings have 4 threads per spark plug. With aluminum being as soft as it is after repeated heatings and coolings the plugs will work themselves loose. Also, they could be improperly torqued from the factory. The best thing you can do is spend an hour or so to check them yourself. That is the best insurance you can get. I wouldn't trust the dealership to do it.

Old 12-13-2003 | 07:57 PM
I need to check mine but i usaully just change them while i am at it since they are already out

Old 12-13-2003 | 09:22 PM
Hi Brian

CONGRATS on the 02 AND WELCOME TO THE POSTING MANIA
BTW --> Great year

Originally posted by dirtchicken
All of the 99-2002 Lightning’s have 4 threads per spark plug.... Also, they could be improperly torqued from the factory. The best thing you can do is spend an hour or so to check them yourself.
I agree Dirt, I also believe most that spit were lose when they left the factory. Statistics will show us that tons of L owners that checked their plugs when the truck was new, found loose plugs, I found 3, one was looser than hand tight. No doubt in my mind if I hadn't checked them, I wouldn’t be here two yrs later with the same heads. I believe the problem is they were never tight to begin with.

"OR"
When people change them, even know they think it's tight,
IT'S NOT.
Have you ever screwed threaded PVC fittings together,
one or two turns, and it locks up, yet it's loose as schitt.
Take it out and put some Teflon tape on it, and you can run it in by hand 10 turns. Aluminum sometimes does the same thing.

This is why I use Never Seize
even know you all tell me not too.

This is also why YOU MUST change the plugs when it's ice cold

This is also why Ford came out with a Notice to the Service department saying that during a plug change on our motor,
the plugs should be threaded in and out 2 or 3 times before
torque-ing them up for good.

Don't get me wrong, we all know we aint got enough threads,
but I believe the problem is also related to them not being in correctly from the get go.

Old 12-14-2003 | 09:06 PM
Yeah it's a must to check your plugs often!!

Old 12-14-2003 | 09:53 PM
I have repaired to many heads that have spit there plugs and the biggest problem Ive seen is loose plugs. This problem exists with ALL Modular engines and a lot of push rod engines.
The best advice I have for you is check your plugs regularly.....I can not stress this enough!!! Ive been a mech. for 19 yrs. and have been repairing Ford heads for all of that, this problem is not new! Again the biggest problem is how the plugs are torqued or lack there of!

Scott

Old 12-14-2003 | 10:50 PM
plug torque

what is the suggested torque lb on the plugs????

Old 12-15-2003 | 12:04 AM
15 to 25 lbs and if you use lube reduce the tq by 50%

Quick Reply: spark plug question?