Lightning

Professional opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professional opinions Please!

When I slam on the throttle. The truck jumps, but during the acceleration around 8PSI to 10PSI it hiccups, or misses, just once” This happens midway before the shift change” . Then goes to next gear, and it happens once more. The acceleration is smooth, with the exemption of these burps! I have no chip, or pulley, I do have the cold air kit, (drill air box), KN filter. At normal running no heavy throttle, she nuns fine (no missing), runs great. Until the next WOT than right in the middle of the rpm range here comes the dreaded miss, it burps and, and then continuous like nothing has happen. This has me stump. Any advice is extremely welcome, or what do I look for. Also the miss is not continuous, it misses once and continues to run fine!

Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 AM
The truck stock cuts out 4 cylinders during shifting to save on the tranny. It is either this cut-out and/or torque converter lock-up that you are experiencing....completely normal stock

Old 12-16-2003, 10:54 AM
He is right. That is the single most reason why I wish for a chip. The annoying burp or stutter. If it is anything like mine (stock) then you would have noticed it more in the cooler weather because of the increased boost. Happy holidays

Old 12-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Thank you for asking that question, i have been wondering why the truck stutters at WOT for a long time. It's time for a chip.....

Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Question It sounds as if

the stutter occurs relatively far away from a shift, though.

Can you pinpoint a specific rpm ? Same in each gear ?

Old 12-16-2003, 12:23 PM
The fact is, that the burp (misfire) occurs in mid band about 3K, not at the shift point (5.2K), and once more at second shift at about 3K. On WOT the engine runs strong, hits about 3K and burps, (looses power) for almost an instant and regains its strength, goes to 5.2K shifts to second, runs strong and solid, gets to half way through the rpm band and farts once more, and regains it’s strength and continuous on.. I thought I was good but this has me stumped!!

Old 12-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Torque converter lock-up...

Old 12-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Is it still under warrenty. If it is have the dealer check for codes first. If it isn't why not set up a dyno tune?

Old 12-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 03 did something similar until I did the boost by-pass mod. Not a problem anymore.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Yep, I did the boost by-pass mod, back in June of 2001. I give up. The truck is under warranty. Therefore, off it went to the dealer. (However I have the Carchip installed) and when I get it back, I will down load the log and print, on how they treated her. So far they have never abused her. Even if they disconnect the chip, it logs that too, and how long the chip was off the vehicle. I informed the dealer that the chip was in place, and if any abuse occurred in their care, I would have the proof. Well I’m hoping they discover the miss. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by oldfrmtrk
Yep, I did the boost by-pass mod, back in June of 2001. I give up. The truck is under warranty. Therefore, off it went to the dealer. (However I have the Carchip installed) and when I get it back, I will down load the log and print, on how they treated her. So far they have never abused her. Even if they disconnect the chip, it logs that too, and how long the chip was off the vehicle. I informed the dealer that the chip was in place, and if any abuse occurred in their care, I would have the proof. Well I’m hoping they discover the miss. Thanks for the info.
Just my two cents but there is nothing like pissing off the service tech before you take it in. A little honey does alot more than vineger. BTW I don't work for a dealer or have any involvement auto sales other than what I buy.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
I agree, I informed the dealer that the chip not only records the speed, acceleration, air flow rates throttle position, hard braking, or hard acceleration, Fuel pressure, and much more. The first time that I took it in they where going to void my warranty, because of this chip. Once I explained that this was a data logger device, They accepted it, and realized that what ever they do to this vehicle it is being logged. On one occasion they had to remove the plug to do a diagnostic thought the OBA port. The mechanic wrote the time when he had removed the plug and when he reconnected it. I have had no problem with this issue. After numerous times the chip is no longer an issue. (They know it’s there, recording everything)

Last edited by oldfrmtrk; 12-17-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:14 PM
So this chip is pluged into you obdII port and stays there? Where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
This is normal, 4 cylinders shut down in order to shift gears. Keeps from wearing out the parts. Get a chip and that will go away. Nothing to worry about its normal

Old 12-17-2003, 06:22 PM
hooks to your pcm, couple hundred bucks for one. Check your supporting vendor of choices website. I don't think theres any "chip" for the ODB port, at least not that i've ever seen. There is a relatively new mod called the predator, which uses the ODB port to mod pcm settings. Do a search for Predator and you'll see who is selling them.

Quick Reply: Professional opinions Please!