Lightning

Changing stock tips to SS tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003 | 09:18 AM
Originally posted by fractaldragon
you'd think Ford would make the tips at least maintainable....I have tried and tried and I can get them clean, but they are still dull

Mothers aluminum polish, the first time you clean them you will use a decent amount of this stuff. The more elbow grease the quicker it gets done. You need a seperate clean towl to wipe off the polish, then use another clean spot to make the metal shine...again the harder you polish the better it looks.

Once they are all shiney, just do a light touch up once a week or so...its a pain at first, but its easy if you keep it up.

Old 12-18-2003 | 09:38 AM
The stock tips are not that hard to keep clean. It's just that mine are not even and the dealer will not adjust them so it is do nothing or get new tips.

Well I guess that I have the new tips but am still not doing anything about getting them on.

Old 12-18-2003 | 01:40 PM
I took my 03 to a muffler shop and they adjusted the tips to fit the rocker panel hole for $10.00.

Old 12-18-2003 | 01:51 PM
Those Magnaflow look nice. I've heard Borla systems on a Buick Grand National, and they're quiet yet forceful. Anyone heard what Borla's sound like on the Lightning? I don't want something too much louder than stock at idle, but I think there should be a little something extra there at WOT.

Also, can anyone verify or dispell any performance gains from a set of catbacks, Borla, Magnaflow, or otherwise?

2002 Black Lightning (New as of 11/03)
No mods yet, but looking. . .

Old 12-18-2003 | 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
bling sound and power in one easy step:

Magnaflow catback, nothing else comes close.
BASSANI IS BETTER, SHUT UP GADGET!!!GO TAKE A TEST!!
LMAO!!

Old 12-21-2003 | 12:44 AM
I have the borla exhaust on my truck. They seem quieter and smoother then the stock exhaust, when i stomp on the gas they sound very loud and mechanical is the best way to decribe them. The tips look nice although i think they are set about half an inch or an inch further back then i would have liked, by the time i saw the placement I was already home. Over all there isnt a huge diffence between the borla and the stock.

Old 12-29-2003 | 08:27 PM
Originally posted by fractaldragon
I have tried and tried and I can get them clean, but they are still dull
Sorry I've been on my holiday.

Like you, I tryed to keep my tips clean and shinny. I saw a post on here about Cape Cod metal polishing cloths at "True Value Hardware" I bought some, and man-o-man do they shine now!!! But like said else where in this post, "you got to keep them up, you need to polish them weekly" Best stuff I've found to keep them shinny.

MM

Quick Reply: Changing stock tips to SS tips