Lightning

How Do You Remove stock Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003 | 03:18 PM
|
How Do You Remove stock Steering Wheel?

I am switching to a new wrapped wheel and would like to do this myself.
Is there a fuse to pull so the airbag won't go off in my face?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2003 | 03:30 PM
TampaBlack99,

I would highly recommend that you disconnect your battery before trying to remove the airbag.

Old 12-18-2003 | 03:36 PM
A log chain and my slightly modded lightning should suffice

Old 12-18-2003 | 04:31 PM
On most vehicles there is a battery back up for the air bag, so in the event of an accident the air bag can still function in a secondary collision if battery power is cut. So, you'll need to find out how long it lasts, and be sure to wait it out... Also, make sure you're grounded good, static electricity can set one off...

Old 12-18-2003 | 04:34 PM
They are correct.. there is a backup system in case the battery cables are cut in an accident..It would take the dealer less than an hours labor to install it... That is cheaper than an airbag...

Old 12-18-2003 | 04:46 PM
|
Well that's not fun

Old 12-18-2003 | 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DEIMATT
A log chain and my slightly modded lightning should suffice

LMFAO!!!

Old 12-18-2003 | 05:36 PM
just disconnect your battery and wait a minute (or 3 or 4 to be safe). then remove the two circular plastic covers on either side of the wheel (side facing dash). remove two 8mm bolts, pull airbag towards you. disconnect connector to airbag. unhook any other connectors you see in there such as cruise control switch harness etc. now, loosen (but DO NOT FULLY REMOVE) steering wheel retaining bolt (probably a 15mm or T45). and start pulling like crazy. IMPORTANT, leave the steering wheel bolt (big bolt in the center of the wheel that holds the thing on) in place before you start pulling! you can remove it all the way if you like, but then reinstall it at least a few threads. if this bolt is not in place when you start pulling, then the steering wheel could pop loose suddenly and with the amount of force it will likely take to get the wheel off, theres a good chance you'll hurt yourself when the wheel does come off. could break your nose. don't worry about alignment, the wheel only goes on/off one way. well, it might go on two ways, but it'll be 180 out and hopefully you'll notice this before you put it back together! if not then you shouldn't be messing with this job to begin with.

good luck

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 12-18-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2003 | 06:49 PM
I wouldnt recommend using the twist and pull method posted above. Use a steering wheel puller tool easily found at many local parts stores.

Using the twist and pull method, you put pressure on the tilt mechanism/pins and the soft metal around the pins can egg out over time causing a loose tilt wheel assembly. It may not hurt it the first time that you pull the wheel off, but after a couple of times it can and will stress out those parts over time.

Its alot more work to loosen the bolt, put your foot against the brake for leverage and pull and twist from side to side, than it is to just use a puller and do it the way Ford says to do it.

JMHO

AY ELF

ps; Dont worry about the airbag too much once its disconnected, there is a shorting bar that you cant see that wont allow the bag to deploy even if you hook up two wires and put 12v to it, the connector moves the shorting bar out of the way making the airbag functional.

Last edited by Grey03; 12-18-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2003 | 12:13 PM
Steve this might be a dumb question but are you going to be able to use the air bag on the new steering wheel just curious

Old 12-20-2003 | 12:51 PM
i've never had to use a puller on any steering wheel, it take some finesse though.

watch out for the clock spring

Old 12-22-2003 | 09:48 AM
|
Yes, I will be able to use the stock airbag as the steering wheel being wrapped is a oem L wheel. Will post pics when it comes in next week.

Quick Reply: How Do You Remove stock Steering Wheel?