Lightning

Swapping PCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping PCM

I Plan on selling my Diablo Delta Flip chip,and going with the Diablo Predator and a good dyno tune.
The guy that wants to buy my chip has an '03 HD F150 as well.He wants me to help him install it in his truck.
My theory is this..
He has a "virgin" PCM in his truck. He plans on modifying it to accept my chip.My PCM is already modified.
If I could find someone to "Flash" [reprogram] our keys to their respective Processors,could I just swap him PCMs [and chip] and start over again with the "virgin" PCM in my truck,seeing as I won't need to modify it with the Predator??
Also I have the flip chip set up for 91 octane on the Street side and 101 octane and more timing on the race side.Once I get Dyno tuned with the Predator will I be able to "tweek" the Custom program back and forth betwwen street and race tunes?
Thanks for any help!

Old 12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't think that will work. Are they the same code?Not to mention the PATS keys

Old 12-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Both are '03 HD f150s.Pats codes are different i'm sure,but isn't that what the scan tool fixes?

Old 12-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by BADBOLT2
Both are '03 HD f150s.Pats codes are different i'm sure,but isn't that what the scan tool fixes?

If both are the same vehicle with the same year I do not see why it would not work after getting the PATS issue out of the way.

VINNIE

Old 12-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Vinnie,That's what i thought.
Any thoughts on the tunability of a custom programmed Predator.
I hate to take a loss on my chip and switch to a programmer that wont offer street/strip options.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:58 PM
try it out, whats the worst that could happen, it wont work? then u could just swap it back.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by BADBOLT2
Vinnie,That's what i thought.
Any thoughts on the tunability of a custom programmed Predator.
I hate to take a loss on my chip and switch to a programmer that wont offer street/strip options.
My biggest suggestion would be to NOT use the tunes already in the predator(heard they are WAY TOO AGGRESSIVE) and get a good tune sent from a reputable tuner. Then use the predator as intended.

VINNIE

Old 12-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Vinnie,

Know much about those Predator things, do ya?

Old 12-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Vinnie,

Know much about those Predator things, do ya?

I can start a thread asking about them again if ya want. It should last about 4 minutes.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Make sure you get all the tuners involved too, would you?

Old 12-24-2003, 11:31 AM
It will work just fine... Years and PCM codes mean nothing when you have the FORD programming tool. You can make any PCM work!

There are many trucks using 99 Computers in 01& up trucks. Ask your tuner about it.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ICULOKN
It will work just fine... Years and PCM codes mean nothing when you have the FORD programming tool. You can make any PCM work!

There are many trucks using 99 Computers in 01& up trucks. Ask your tuner about it.

Just the opposite too.

Jim likes to put 01 computers in 2000s.

VINNIE

Old 12-25-2003, 01:44 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ICULOKN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just the opposite too.

Jim likes to put 01 computers in 2000s.

VINNIE
My understanding is that the tables in the '01's PCM are easier to work with than the prior and the post models due to layout, structure and such... Ford has a nasty habit of changing tables and their locations almost yearly hence the different computer 'codes' (CXN1, CXN2, etc) yearly.

Old 12-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Well, tried to do the swap yesterday.My buddy came over and we swapped PCMs and Then the Locksmith showed up with the NGS Scantool.He wanted to charge $20 for the trip,and $35 ea. truck to reprogram the computers and 4 keys.-No big deal Right??
Well he fooled around with it for over an hour and NEITHER truck would start!He claims the NGS took says the Keys were sucessfullt reprogrammed.
He tried to call NGS for tech help,but they were closed.
I call my local Dealers Servive Writer and he tells me there is NO WAY to reprogram the computer to the trucks with a NGS Scantool.It's a completely different piece of equiptment called a "WDS"???
There is a Mod Friendley Dealer across town,looks like we may have to pay a visit too.Maybe some Tech could use an extra $100 earned during his lunch hour??

Old 12-28-2003, 09:41 AM
PATS keys

you can use the NGS with a green card to swap the computer but it was prob. out of the scope of the lock smith, your pats info is stored in the HEC module (insturment cluster) when you turn on the key it reads the key then it performed a hand shake with the PCM. if one or the other is changed even though the keys read ok the hand shake will fail because they dont recognise each other. NOW to the point, you will need to do a parimiter reset on the HEC and a KAM reset (Keep Alive Mem) on the PCM so that when you first turn on the switch after the resets, they will look at each other and record each other's internal info (meet for the first time let's say) and not have an other code from the old setup stored in there mem. Kinda like saying you got to divorce the old ones before they can play well with others LOL

Quick Reply: Swapping PCM