Lightning

$400.00 ltd time, Embree Machine Shop, The "Original" Ported L blower guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004 | 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rscoleman
I don't know which blower is better, but let me see if I understand your logic. You wouldn't let a MACHINIST assemble/disassemble your blower, but you'd let a MACHINIST do ALL of the porting/assembly of cylinder heads, ALL the machining of the block and rotating assembly, then assemble them into a properly functioning, high horsepower engine? Who do you think does all the MACHINING and critical assembly of an engine, a MACHINIST or the tooth ferry? All the MACHINISTS I know build things like top fuel, pro stock, pro 5.0 and NASCAR Nextel cup engines...maybe its just me but the MACHINIST is the only person I'd want touching my blower. When you do a built engine, will you trust all those critical dimensions to a MACHINIST, or do you plan on doing it all at home with a Dremel and Dewalt drill? Good luck with your built motor project.
Thats exactly what i was thinking!

Old 01-12-2004 | 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 12leavu
Thats exactly what i was thinking!
same here, and I'm a machinist BTW, for 26 years........

ps: I have dyno graphs from Embree, they're too big to post though....................

Last edited by SLVRLTNG; 01-12-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2004 | 09:57 PM
Obviously a machinist will do the porting.

BUT:
what does a AVERAGE machinist know about:

1. when the bearing are bad
2. when the seals are bad
3. when the nicks in the rotor create a dangerous/unsafe condition
4. the torque spec of the internal of the eaton
5. The extremely tight tolerances between the rotor packs
6. the extremely tight tolerances between the rotor packs and the wall.

Most these guys put a part in and when the CNC finishes it's cycle, they take it out, clean it off with an air gun and put it on a rack and place another part in, close the door and hit the start button.

CNC programmers now is another story.

While there are exceptions to the typical machinist, most the factories I have seen have machinists that have been running the same mill or lathe for the last 20 years. running the same or similar parts. Of course these were all production facilities, where quantity matters and they run 3 shifts.

Obviously machinists know how to port and polish, but they didn't do the R&D like Apten did.
The typical machinist doesn't know how to put together a NASCAR, or Nitrous injected funny car motor.

12leavu, I've given you props on your porting job. I wish I could do it, but I can't so I sent my S/C to the best place that can. APTEN.

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:06 PM
Re: $400.00 ltd time, Embree Machine Shop, The "Original" Ported L blower guys

Originally posted by DL
Guys and Gals,

I found out who used to do the porting for Apten and went straight to the "Main" man to get my blower ported.

They will port your blower for $400.00 plus shipping until Jan. 15, with no GP required.

This is who is doing my Blower. They have been porting Eatons for a long time, Pontiac GTP's, Ford S/C's, etc. They really know there stuff.

Send it where you want, but IF you want the best job done, get it done by Embree.

Call Paul @ 562-307-5959. Shop is located in St. Louis, MO area.

curious:

when I go to
www.yellowpages.com

and type in EMBREE in St. Louis, MO I come up with this.

EMBREE PAUL ROOFING CONTRACTORS
5017 NORTHRUP AVE, SAINT LOUIS, MO 63110
Phone: (314) 865-1150

Is this the same Paul that is porting the eatons?
Is he a roofer? or machinist?

If not can you give the address or website so I can research EMBREE a little more.
The telephone number is useless.

when I do a reverse look up it says the telephone number is not found
http://info.yellowpages.com/asp/part...versephone.asp

curious............

Last edited by l-menace; 01-12-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2004 | 10:08 PM
Originally posted by l-menace

12leavu, I've given you props on your porting job. I wish I could do it, but I can't so I sent my S/C to the best place that can. APTEN. [/B]
Thanks man. But My answer is yes to all 6 of your questions. And I'm sure theres a whole lot more machinest smarter than me.

But what about the conventional machinest like me, where'd they go? CNC's haven't been out forever.
Any REAL machinest would agree. oh yeah, the guys you are talking about are called "part runners" not machinest.

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:18 PM
Re: Re: $400.00 ltd time, Embree Machine Shop, The "Original" Ported L blower guys

Originally posted by l-menace
curious:

when I go to
www.yellowpages.com

and type in EMBREE in St. Louis, MO I come up with this.

EMBREE PAUL ROOFING CONTRACTORS
5017 NORTHRUP AVE, SAINT LOUIS, MO 63110
Phone: (314) 865-1150

Is this the same Paul that is porting the eatons?
Is he a roofer? or machinist?

If not can you give the address or website so I can research EMBREE a little more.
The telephone number is useless.

when I do a reverse look up it says the telephone number is not found
http://info.yellowpages.com/asp/part...versephone.asp

curious............

here ya go wiseguy:
http://www.bluetonguemotorsports.com/index.html

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:36 PM
All I gotta say is things will change in a few months. There will be more companys out there porting Eatons, and the price will come way down. I have one apart right now having the big cuts being done(porting), and when I get it back I will do all the smoothing(polishing) myself. There is nothing hard to it; the blower pulls apart with only a handfull of bolts. If you know how to do it will pull apart without even spilling any oil. Then tape the bearings off to keep anything from getting into them. Cut and grind away; It's aluminum so it will be easy. Clean everything up; maybe add a little grease to the bearings in the back of the case, and back to geather it goes. There is nothing to line up; everything self centers as it goes back togeather. Someone that has done it a few times could do it in a couple hours. Expect to see ported Eatons in the $300 price range. All this don't show pictures of my work is to keep the competition out for as long as possible

Old 01-13-2004 | 12:26 AM
I believe I read somewhere that a good hand port job was being offered by a reputable vender for $299. Any qualified comments on this?

Old 01-13-2004 | 12:41 AM
That would be REM; it's ok, but now like what everyone will be doing in the near future.

Old 01-13-2004 | 06:46 PM
DL
|
Originally posted by fractaldragon
Are you a paid spokesman for Embree?

NO, just sprerading the info around...When I got my blower done, I paid more than $400.00 from Embree before the fall out with Apten and the price war.....

Are you a spokeman for Apten??

Last edited by DL; 01-13-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:06 PM
For those who may be unaware of it, an "apprentice machinest" is required to take and pass over 3 years of classes in mechanics, metals, extensive mathematics, and all practice and theory on machining tools - before he/she is considered a "journeyman machinest". Although it's true than many machinests in large factories, may find themselves running a lathe or another tool for years - a "competent machinest" with experience, can design, repair, and rebuild almost anything. A competent experienced machinest, who has worked on engines, knows all about bearings and bearing fit. Whenever I could, when I took work in to a shop - the first thing I looked for was their "machinest" experience.

Quick Reply: $400.00 ltd time, Embree Machine Shop, The "Original" Ported L blower guys