Lightning

Main Seal oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003 | 04:58 PM
|
Main Seal oil leak question

I jst got my new motor back 2 weeks ago and it seems that the rear main seal is leaking. There is always some oil around the rear pan bolts and some that seems to be coming from the botton of the trans bell housing front. I seem to see some crank walking at the front while running. (The pulley seems to move in and out a bit). Any ideas? The only stock parts used in the new motor are the crank and head castings. The crank was straighnened. It was out of true .005" and then the crank, rods, pistons were balanced. I am hoping my gut feeling about th ecrank are not the case. It wil be qa bitch to remove the motor and start this bs agin.

Old 12-28-2003 | 07:03 PM
Never run with No2 with new engine as I blew it up the 1st time running with 55hp No2. Ran a 12.65 at 96mph (blew at the 1/8th and drifted the rest of the way

From your sig. above.

If these are all "built" motors. Something aint right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like you better go to someone who has some exp. w/ mod motors.

Good Luck

Old 12-28-2003 | 08:06 PM
for what it's worth, do a search. LOTS of people have had rear main leaks that mysteriously heal (or should I say SEAL) themselves after 5000 miles or so.

Both my '01 and my '03 were leaking at my first oil change or two, but dry as a bone at around 8000 miles.

red truck:

blue truck:

UNLESS the oil leak is really bad, then you might consider just driving it and see if it doesn't go away on it's own. It'd be alot of work to pull the tranny out to replace that seal just to have the new one leak on you too.

just my .02

good luck.

later,
chris

Old 12-29-2003 | 12:27 AM
|
The motor that blew was stock. The new motor should be bullit proof and so far feels real strong and no detonation with a 75hp shot. My main concern is the oil leak and that may be OK from the previous post.

Quick Reply: Main Seal oil leak question