Lightning

How Much Oil Does Your Lightning/

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004 | 05:38 PM
|
Question How Much Oil Does Your Lightning HOLD

How much motor oil does your lighting hold had my oil changed today at ford.I told him to only put in [6] six quarts 5-20 blended is all i want
he said it would hold 6.1/2 quarts mabey but just six quarts does anyone put in more oil than that i know it is not to smart to over fill one and is our dip stick correct???/ thanks for your input tom

Last edited by tlfwatch; 01-05-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2004 | 05:39 PM
Oil filter usually holds about 1/2 quart. As long is it's not over on the dipstick you'll be fine.

Old 01-05-2004 | 06:54 PM
I always use 6 qts. Every oil change. It shows halfway between full and add on the dipstick.

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:04 PM
6 qts here every time. I put 3/4 qt in the filter and the rest in the filler neck

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:05 PM
Originally posted by litnfast
I always use 6 qts. Every oil change. It shows halfway between full and add on the dipstick.
Me too
60,000 miles no problems

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:09 PM
|
Thumbs up I WOULD SAY SIX QUARTS IS ENOUGH/

Six quarts should be sufficent i have heard some even putting in seven. i wouild be willing to bet the farm that a lot of time when oil is found in throttle body that engine has been over filled with oil. my oil dip stick shows about i pint low and thats where i want it to be.

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:35 PM
whats the proper way to change it? do you need to put some through the filter? I would like to know the safest and proper way.?

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Unoid
whats the proper way to change it? do you need to put some through the filter? I would like to know the safest and proper way.?
This is what I do

Get a Motorcraft filter, and fill it with oil. It will take about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart, it will keep absorbing oil. Make sure you put a thin film of oil on the gasket.

Now drain the oil out of the pan, and remove the old filter, maje sure the old gasket comes off, If not take it off.

Now put the new filter on, make sure you get it good and tight. Replace the drain plug and then fill the engine with the rest of the 5 1/2 quarts.

Old 01-05-2004 | 10:17 PM
When you change oil, you want to make sure it's hot so it drains easier and any contaminates in the system will be picked up and drain with it. Loosen the filter up about half while still cold so it'll be easier to remove and then run your engine untill it reachs operating temp. Then remove your filter and drain pan plug. The oil will be hot, so be careful not to spill all over yourself. Make sure the "containers" you have to catch the draining oil are nice and clean. Also take off the oil filler cap to facilitate oil drain. Then sit back for at least 30 min's and let it all drain out. Ford spec's call for 6 qts. Don't overfill! As a general rule - overfilling will only cause problems with no benefits. When you put the filter back on, make sure the old filter rubber gasket "really" came off. It's rare for one to come loose and stay on, but happens once in a while. A lot of guys fill the filter up before installing for insurance, and it's a good idea. But there is always a thin film of oil on all moving parts, so when you start your engine back up, it's really not running without lubricant and will be ok until oil pressure is restored throughout the engine - unless you're running nitromethane or something like that. And as previously noted - don't over tighten the filter. Follow the directions. Also - don't overtighten the oil pan drain plug. It's easy to strip out. After you've put your total of 6 qts in and put the filler cap back on - start it up and immdiately get down on all fours and look for leaks. Then check your pressure guage which should be up to normal by now. If no leaks and pressure reading is normal, run the engine until it reaches normal operating temp - and then shut it down - and let it sit for 15 min's. While the oil is now returning to the oil pan, check out the containers you used to drain the oil in. As one of the functions of oil is to "clean" and as detergent oils suspend particles, you'll expect to see some accumulation of "dirt" and "dust" and maybe a little "sludge" from oil additives, etc. in the bottom of your containers. What you don't want to see is a bunch of "metallic" particles in there. You want to make sure the truck is sitting on "level" ground - in both directions - then check your dipstick - and note where the reading is. This is then "your baseline" for full engine oil capacity. This reading is what you want to check against for any possible oil consumption.

Old 01-05-2004 | 10:34 PM
Re: How Much Oil Does Your Lightning HOLD

Originally posted by tlfwatch
How much motor oil does your lighting hold had my oil changed today at ford.I told him to only put in [6] six quarts 5-20 blended is all i want
he said it would hold 6.1/2 quarts mabey but just six quarts does anyone put in more oil than that i know it is not to smart to over fill one and is our dip stick correct???/ thanks for your input tom
Do NOT go by the dipstick as it is incorrect! Use 6 of quarts of oil total and that includes what is in the oil filter itself.

Old 01-05-2004 | 11:36 PM
6 quarts here.

1/2 in the oil filter.
5 1/2 into the engine.

Old 01-05-2004 | 11:52 PM
Six here, glad I have not been doing anything wrong..........

PEacE.....................
Jim

Quick Reply: How Much Oil Does Your Lightning/