Lightning

01L Block out of Tolerence

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004 | 08:49 PM
|
Question 01L Block out of Tolerence

I'm a new member and my first post. My son purchased a used 01 L that had 14,000 miles around 1st of October. We were very impressed with the truck. However, on December 6th the 3rd
plug blew on the passenger side. Took to local Ford and they replaced the plug. Got it back on the 9th and then on the 12th the same plug blew. Back to the Ford dealership. They decided that the head needed to be replaced. Once they got the head off, they found that the block was out of tolerence. The service writer thought that engine may need to be replaced. They proceded to talk with Ford. I called the dealership today and Ford told them to use this certain gasket and this would take care of the difference in the head and block.

Now here's my question. Does this make sense? If the tech found a problem with the tolerence of the block, why would they not replace the engine? I know several on here has had their heads replaced. Was the block okay? What would you do?

Old 01-05-2004 | 08:52 PM
I've heard of that fix (different gasket). But I thought Ford was replacing engines that had that problem. Try doing a search on this site for more info.

Old 01-05-2004 | 08:54 PM
Ford redesigned the head gaskets after 2001. They now use a multi layer gasket that seals better.

Also the spark plug problem is a common problem, the 2003 and up heads have more threads to keep this from happening again.

I would try to get them to replace both heads and head gaskets, that way you will have more threads on all 8 spark plugs, and the better head gaskets on both sides.

Old 01-05-2004 | 09:42 PM
It's the deck....it most likely ain't flat...Mine wasn't....They put the gaskets on cause the head was weeping in back...
Many had this problem..just a few hundred milkes later the right side..the one known to have the bad machining ..ate two rings....They then installed a long block..remanned..it **** the bed about 14000 miles later....Ford stopped the line due to these problems...We got the shaft....and maybe the cast crank....

Good luck..

Quick Reply: 01L Block out of Tolerence