Lightning

"Touchless" auto car washes & salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004 | 10:41 PM
|
"Touchless" auto car washes & salt

I just got back from a weekend in Phoenix - upper 70s day and night - it was amazing that the cars are all clean and dry year round. I would have loved to cruized around with the L - so many rides looking to get beat all weekend long.

Back to the point, it's still cold back here in Chicago and my Black L is covered in salt again. Does anyone take it to the "touchless" washes in between the TLC sessions? Do they recycle water (and dirt) that can scratch or swirl the clear coat?

Old 01-12-2004 | 11:17 PM
I take mine to the touchless ones once a week when the snow and salt come. No major swilrs or problems yet and mines black....

Old 01-12-2004 | 11:27 PM
I install touchless washes. First, go to a good touchless (expensive like 6-10 bucks). They do NOT recycle water. Plus, if you can get 'rocker wash' without tri foam then do it. The white initial spray is what cleans not the foam later. I use them after a soft cloth scratched my L Tri foam is for looks only and makes windshield streak in rain. Nothing but water touches the car. One hint, though.... if you have ICE on the vehicle, I reccomend that you use quarter wash to rid of ice. When ice is blown off at high pressure by a touchless, it Could scratch, and quarter wash doesnt have that kind of pressure. Its what I do

Last edited by wurk_truk; 01-12-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2004 | 07:47 AM
Touchless Car Wash

Although I don't drive the "L" too much in the winter time, it still gets salt on it. I use the touchless (It's a Laser Wash here) on both the "L" and my wifes Explorer. I swear by them. Does a really great job.

Old 01-13-2004 | 08:30 AM
I realize you live in Chicago area, and Its January, but nothing can beat a hand wash done by the owner... Our car washes in the D.C. area recycle water...............

PEacE...............................
Jim

Old 01-13-2004 | 12:48 PM
|
Thanks for the wash info. I was worried that most of them recycled the water, but at $5-8 each, it sounds like they're safe.

I'd love to hand wash it, and I do a lot of the time, but with only a parking spot in the alley, and the frequent sub-zero chill coming in, it's just not practical every week.

Old 01-13-2004 | 01:58 PM
I used to wash my red truck with the do it yourself powerwasher in college. I do not recommend that to anybody. Most of these wash places are very potent - their soap will strip your wax of if the water pressure doesn't do it first. My truck never cleaned up at the touchless places. If I need to wash anything now, I just stop at the fire department (where I work) and pulll inside to wash. I don't really wash anything in the cold anymore since I got my beater Explorer. It's fun to watch the rust holes grow on a daily basis... like watching a plant grow.

Old 01-13-2004 | 02:51 PM
Been running mine through touchless car washes for
almost 2 yrs now, no complaints.

Old 01-13-2004 | 02:56 PM
I don't go to car washes anymore. I wash mine myself... I don't care if it's 30 degrees outside.

Old 01-13-2004 | 03:10 PM
definitely know which way is north I guess...

Old 01-14-2004 | 08:15 PM
my L is a 'high'(er) mileage, daily driver, and thus gets dirty... however living in a west tx desert, we know nothing of this "snow" and the mysterious salt you speak of

I use touchless washes mostly, I guess I'm too lazy to baby it with hand washes as often as I drive it. I like the touchless washes, they do a decent enough job for me

however, I do have rather bad swirling, all over the black paint. The guy I bought it from had just done a full buffing job on it and I'm worried it took off too much of the clear coat or something.

how much $$ are we talking, to have a pro "fix" my paint ? (swirl, polish, wax etc). I want it done right and I don't trust myself

Old 01-14-2004 | 08:27 PM
|
Before you spend big $$ on a new paint job (which is basically the "pro" fix), try some Zaino on it. The full kit with a clay bar and their swirl remover will run you $85 and a full day of time, but it'd be better than paying for a new paint job.

Old 01-15-2004 | 10:44 AM
Hey ILLINI-SVT,

I live in the Chicago area, suburbs actually, and I go in to the city to have my truck washed. There is a hand wash on Wabash & 21st int he South Loop for $15 that does an excellent job. They even use the air compressors to blow the water out of the hard to dry spots. Definitely worth it. They even have a wall of all their customers standing next to their rides. It's worth it at least check it out once.

Old 01-15-2004 | 10:57 AM
touchless is crap. the chemicals used are too harsh and you will strip any protectant you have.

Old 01-15-2004 | 11:04 AM
Some touchless ARE crap. They use a diluted form of acid for the pre-wash. No kidding! I install Belanger washes and their touchless is one of the expensive touchless washes. This one doesnt use acid. One has to look and see, really, if the wash carriage has arms that, when washing, spray the front, sides, then rear of the truck by moving in those directions. A cheaper wash's arms are stationary and Id stay away from those.

I prefer going to the quarter wash with a bucket, towels, and carwash soap. Nothing beats that. But, for 8 bucks... a GOOD touchless gets rids of the salt.

Wish I knew of a good hand wash place here

Oh, my L got scratched and I got a guy in PA who buffs show cars for a living. For $400 you get wet sand, buff, machine glaze, and wax.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 01-15-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: "Touchless" auto car washes & salt