Lightning

Predator Not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004 | 06:35 PM
|
Predator Not working

Hi everybody,
This past week from JLP I ordered a 4# pulley and a predator. They got it too me before the weekend (and kudo's for 2nd day shipping them ). Friends of mine and I put on the pulley in short order and man does it ever wake up the truck.

The predator appears to be dead on arrival however. Went to plug it in (following the printed instructions in the manual), and it kept failing to backup the factory program, and wouldn't write a new one in. Johnny I guess removes the default diablo tunes and puts his own on, which I think is why the main menu did not list "Performance Tune" but rather "Custom Tune".

After selecting the custom tune it would try to backup the factory tune (and following the instructions to a T), it just did not work, and there was no menu to select "which" tune to try to put into the PCM. Anybody have any ideas why? The truck other than the new pulley is 100% bone stock (3500 miles), it hasn't even seen the dealer since the day it pulled away, and there's nothing weird electronically like remote start or anything.

Needless to say I'm a little miffed about this. Two people told me JLP is the way to go and I went that way. Tried calling both diablosport and JLP (neither or whom are open on weekends). I understand that $h1t happens and maybe either whatever tunes he was putting on it didn't make it on or I'm missing something somehow.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit: Click Here There appears to be defective predators out there, Bill had one and I guess a few others have as well. This appears to be my problem...

Last edited by Steelgrave; 01-24-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2004 | 06:49 PM
This may or may not help, but try resetting the Live Table in the 'Troubleshooting' section---I had to before mine would ever go into diagnostics or data-log anything.
From manual: "Reset this when used on a different vehicle."
May be worth a shot???

Last edited by LightStruck; 01-24-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2004 | 11:01 PM
Most likely a deffective unit. It happends, I'm sure Jl will hook you up with a new one come Monday.

I've used mine a few times and have had no problems.

Old 01-25-2004 | 12:24 AM
uhh i don't know how JL could have even made you a program. He has to have to download your info from your trk then he writes a program. He needs this information for the PATS info. Unless there is a new way out in doing this.

Will

Old 01-25-2004 | 09:42 AM
Spanky99, remember the Jan/Feb specials from JLP say "JLP tuned Predator"....

Last edited by LightStruck; 01-25-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2004 | 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Spanky99L
uhh i don't know how JL could have even made you a program. He has to have to download your info from your trk then he writes a program. He needs this information for the PATS info. Unless there is a new way out in doing this.

Will
Nope, what he does is write the program, load it into the predator and the predator takes care of the rest.

When the predator is backing up the factory program, it takes all the info it needs for the PATS and reloads that back into the vehicle with the custom tune.

This is not a new way of doing things, its been this way ever since the predator came out.

AY WRX

Old 01-25-2004 | 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Grey03
Nope, what he does is write the program, load it into the predator and the predator takes care of the rest.

When the predator is backing up the factory program, it takes all the info it needs for the PATS and reloads that back into the vehicle with the custom tune.

This is not a new way of doing things, its been this way ever since the predator came out.

AY WRX
JJ

I just spoke with Nick from DiabloSport, this is not supposed to be possible (pre-loading the tunes), they were already aware, and they are working to rectify this issue QUICKLY!!!!!

Will

edit: fix mispellings

Last edited by Spanky99L; 01-25-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2004 | 03:39 PM
JJ

I just spoke with Nick from DiabloSport, this is not supposed to be possible (pre-loading the tunes), they were already aware, and they are working to rectify this issue QUICKLY!!!!!

Will

edit: fix mispellings
Two things you need to do Spanky,

One; Address the right person Son and

Two; Figure out what it is you are talking about.

What does the predator do when you buy one with the programs that Diablo supplies in it? It communicates with the ECM and gets the PATS info when it backups the stock file, then it loads its new file (whichever one you choose) with the downloaded PATS info so everything will work correctly. Same thing holds true for any file that the Predator has loaded into it.

He has to have to download your info from your trk then he writes a program
From what your trying to say, you would leave me to believe that Diablo would need your trucks PATS info before they send you a predator with programs on it?

Its a file, it loads it into the PCM and the predator doesnt care if its a file thats been loaded into it by Diablo or loaded into it from a CMRS tuner.

Unless things change, I'm pretty sure thats the way it works.

AY PBM

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:12 PM
Is DiabloSport also going to change their supplied tunes so they don't make your engine go Ping, ping , ping, POW! Phfffft...?

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:21 PM
Two things you need to do Spanky,

One; Address the right person Son and

Two; Figure out what it is you are talking about.

What does the predator do when you buy one with the programs that Diablo supplies in it? It communicates with the ECM and gets the PATS info when it backups the stock file, then it loads its new file (whichever one you choose) with the downloaded PATS info so everything will work correctly. Same thing holds true for any file that the Predator has loaded into it.

From what your trying to say, you would leave me to believe that Diablo would need your trucks PATS info before they send you a predator with programs on it?

Its a file, it loads it into the PCM and the predator doesnt care if its a file thats been loaded into it by Diablo or loaded into it from a CMRS tuner.

Unless things change, I'm pretty sure thats the way it works.

AY PBM
JJ, let me clarify the problem here: There is a BUG in the Predator that will allow a dealer to load tunes from another customer's custom tune that was created from that customer's backup file. This is how JLP is loading in the tunes; he's not creating them from scratch, but instead from files he's made already from other customers' backups he's already had. I just also spoke with someone that informed me that JLP actually loaded in an ABU2 tune onto a Predator and sold it to someone who had an EKO2 Harley, and, yes, the customer installed it and drove around on it . DiabloSport is rectifying this situation so that it will always require the dealer to have the backup file from the specific vehicle being tuned, and to keep issues from happening like with the ABU2 tune on an EKO2 truck. Also, the PATS information is not always contained in the pcm, depending on the vehicle. The HEC module just wants to see the PCM ID code, which is different for each actual pcm. Also, the PATS information is not always contained in the pcm, depending on the vehicle. The HEC module just wants to see the PCM ID code. All the custom tunes are supposed to be serialized to the original backup file, but, well, you get the hint.

Will

edit: updated indo

Last edited by Spanky99L; 01-25-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2004 | 04:32 PM
Come on Spanky - He keep saying he's NOT JJ

He posts carefuilly edited parts of JJ's email for him and perhaps provides other services for JJ But he is NOT JJ...
LOL

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:46 PM
JJ, let me clarify the problem here: There is a BUG in the Predator that will allow a dealer to load tunes from another customer's custom tune that was created from that customer's backup file. This is how JLP is loading in the tunes; he's not creating them from scratch, but instead from files he's made already from other customers' backups he's already had. I just also spoke with someone that informed me that JLP actually loaded in an ABU2 tune onto a Predator and sold it to someone who had an EKO2 Harley, and, yes, the customer installed it and drove around on it . DiabloSport is rectifying this situation so that it will always require the dealer to have the backup file from the specific vehicle being tuned, and to keep issues from happening like with the ABU2 tune on an EKO2 truck. Also, the PATS information is not always contained in the pcm, depending on the vehicle. All the custom tunes are supposed to be serialized to the original backup file, but, well, you get the hint.

Will
When you get done copying and pasting someone elses info that has been given to you and start learning something for yourself, let me know, until then, you and whoever gave you the above info is dead wrong.

He posts carefuilly edited parts of JJ's email for him and perhaps provides other services for JJ
FWIW Doug, I do not repost info that has been given to me, I do the research on my own and I ask people that I respect questions to help educate me further. I dont just take someone's word for it and then preach the gospel.

Maybe if you, Doug, took the time to actually research and educate yourself and live beyond this board, then people that are actually in the know would start respecting you, but until then you have been and always will be the puppet.

Dont get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm for these trucks, and I respect the fact that you travel all over the country supplying us with pictures from numerous races, but when you make statements like the one above and start taking cheap shots at people that you dont even know, then you make an *** out of yourself and you bring the whole community down.

Just one of many reasons why the most respected people in the Lightning community dont post here anymore.

Spank, tell whoever gave you your most recent incorrect info that its called Diablo, not Diablow... Cool?

AY

Old 01-25-2004 | 04:55 PM
When you get done copying and pasting someone elses info that has been given to you and start learning something for yourself, let me know, until then, you and whoever gave you the above info is dead wrong.

Spank, tell whoever gave you your most recent incorrect info that its called Diablo, not Diablow... Cool?

AY
i am not copying **** buddy but from what you are saying is diablo themselves are wrong????? The company that put in all the R&D and money to develop and make this software and product is wrong and YOU are right?

dawg

Will

Last edited by Spanky99L; 01-25-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2004 | 05:33 PM
you make an *** out of yourself and you bring the whole community down.
Last time I checked that was JJ/Grey 03's Job...

Even if you are right JJ and you feel that you are helpful, you aren't, because no one will listen to you. You've made such an a$$ of yourself over the past few months that few people have respect for you and even fewer believe ANYTHING that comes out of your mouth....Just a friendly reminder from your local MD Lightning owner

Old 01-25-2004 | 05:40 PM
FWIW Doug, I do not repost info that has been given to me, I do the research on my own and I ask people that I respect questions to help educate me further. I dont just take someone's word for it and then preach the gospel.

Maybe if you, Doug, took the time to actually research and educate yourself and live beyond this board, then people that are actually in the know would start respecting you, but until then you have been and always will be the puppet.

Dont get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm for these trucks, and I respect the fact that you travel all over the country supplying us with pictures from numerous races, but when you make statements like the one above and start taking cheap shots at people that you dont even know, then you make an *** out of yourself and you bring the whole community down.

Just one of many reasons why the most respected people in the Lightning community dont post here anymore.

AY
Andrew (AY),

I am hesitant to do this on the forums BUT ... I need to make sure people understand the level of lies and BS that you have been spewing.

Back to the Thread about Brians Dyno pull.. One of many you have driven in to the toilet.

I have the email that JJ sent to the vendor in question. JJ emailed a vendor, made up a story about what he did with his truck to get some technical info from that vendor. Within a couple hours you posted contents of the vendors reply as if it was your email.. Have I missed anything ?

You stated in email that "I am not a mouthpiece for JJ," Well what are you then when you post his email for him ???

Just another example of lies and half truths that are twisted around to suit the JJ masses.... They must have a different definition of the truth in MD. Please take your lies and manipulation else where

If people have left this forum is cause of the childishness of people like you and JJ and others that continue to drive worthwhile threads in the toilet.

You said in a email to me that you would fade away - Please do

I have gotten more than a few emails and IM's recently begging me to ban you.
We would love to except that you have no concern for the rules of the sites that you sign up for and since you mostly use AOL we know you would be back under a new name.

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 01-25-2004 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Predator Not working