Lightning

Whos gonna be the first to Aptenize a KB???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SVT F15O
Like any company wouldn't>??? Take your stock blower to Eaton with a bearing failure after a port job and see what they say. Let gets back down to Earth man, seriously. -Mat-
my bearing got F'ed up and i called eaton... they told me to call magnuson. eaton said they dont fix Bearings...?

Last edited by wizechef; 01-29-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Magnusson is the only place authorized to repair the eaton supercharger I think.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Vinnie, for what it's worth - I spoke with Kenne Bell direct regarding this process. They claimed no difference with this procedure that they have already tested it and the additional investment is not worth the time and work.

The Kb had already gone through extensive testing on maximum flow prior to market.

D-Day

Old 01-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by wizechef
my bearing got F'ed up and i called eaton... they told me to call magnuson. eaton said they dont fix Bearings...?
Looks like you really got my point. -Mat-

Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 PM
I didn't think about it, but the KB's we have done so far have been cobra blowers which are just Opcon cases. Since the lightning one was made by KB, there's a good chance they put more effort into it. I would still be willing to do do somebody's if they want to come to STL for a before/after dyno test.

Brian

Last edited by Apten_Tech; 01-30-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Anybody got a pic of what the bottom of a KB looks like? Not trying to be an @$$ and start something but I'm just curious to see how different the bottom of a stock KB is from an Eaton.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:06 AM
the Opcon unit has a triangle at the bottom, much smaller than the size of the eaton. Also the opening is significantly different and the way air moves is different.

Brian

Old 01-30-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by player19
Now here is a question that I have wondered--- The manufactures of these blowers are no dummies-- so why are they not "ported" to the best of power from the manufacturer? For added durability? I think there has to be a reason and its not because they don't know how to make it correctly....
Seriously, the KB was made specifically for the Lightning. I can't imagine that they and Autorotor would not have done their homework. What are you trying to accomplish that you couldn't do with a bigger pulley or some other method? I thought a blower was a precision piece of equipment with exacting tolerances. I cant imagine messing with the bearings, screws/rotors etc. There must be something more to this then just making a hole bigger equals more power.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Seriously, the KB was made specifically for the Lightning. I can't imagine that they and Autorotor would not have done their homework. What are you trying to accomplish that you couldn't do with a bigger pulley or some other method? I thought a blower was a precision piece of equipment with exacting tolerances. I cant imagine messing with the bearings, screws/rotors etc. There must be something more to this then just making a hole bigger equals more power.
just as eaton did not make the case the most efficient, there are reasons that you can sometimes gain from porting. It really depends on the process that the case was machined. I have seen gains on the autorotor cases, but like I said we haven't torn apart a KB lightning case and I believe KB actually produced those cases not autorotor. You are right about precision machinery, it has to be done right if it's done.

Brian

Old 01-30-2004, 01:14 AM
To my way of thinking a blower case is no different than a set of cylinder heads.....a good head porter can always improve a set of heads I don't care if they are made by Dart or Air Flow or Edelbrock they can and are improved everyday. Same goes with these blower cases, I know for sure mines not perfect
Dale

Quick Reply: Whos gonna be the first to Aptenize a KB???