Lightning

info on lightnings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
info on lightnings

Hello everyone I am looking for some good advice and info for lightnings. I really like them a lot and really want one but I like to learn as much as I can before I buy anything, basically I want to know how you the lightning as an owner, how you like your truck. Are there any flaws about the L, are there any parts that were out quick (besides tires) how doe the S/C hold up is a modded L that pushes 400 or so HP still a good daily driver truck. How do they hold up when the miles get high. Will a L live to have 100K and still keep going, will the rings be shot, how will everything hold up. Will the S/C fall apart when the miles get high. Are the trannys and rear end good, how much HP can they handle. Are there any bad recalls. Sorry for all the questions it just I am seriously thinking of getting one. Right now I have a nice 98 F150 supercab wich I mainly use for work and around town and then I have my 90 stang that runs mid-low 8's (1/8) when I want to go fast. But I always have loved the L, and w/ the L I can have both, the truck is always good to have and the speed and performance wich I love. Sorry this got kind of long. Thanks for any tips, advice , info. Oh a local dealer just got an 01 L with 41k on it, they have it going for 24,900 w/ no warranty. What one expect to pay for something like that. I see L going for cheaper than that w/ less miles on it on the internet but there not near me. THANKS!!

Old 02-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Im in the same boat. I am taking delivery of my 02 L today. I paid 23k for it with 27414 miles on it. It is in perfect condition. I was also just wondering what is a major wear problem with these trucks.

Old 02-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by beautful blu 02
what is a major wear problem with these trucks.
The rear tires....

400/500 will hold up just as well as any truck relative to high miles. Extra H/P affects wear during boost and launch so unless you foot is glued to the floor always, you will be amazed how well built these trucks are.

You can do a trans. valve body mod to help extend the life of the trans. and thats all the prevention you need.

It really depends on how often you flog it, as with any vehicle.
Even with 400/500 if your driving sanely and your not in the boost , your truck dose not know it has the extra H/P.

Two issues with adding H/P.

1. Make sure your plugs are install correctly and always be aware of noises that will alert you to a loose plug "sound like an exhaust leak". Some never have problems ...some do.
2. When you mod, keep your A/F ratio on the safe side and always choose good name brand gas.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the reply red, sounds like most people are happy with them. Thats a nice L you got. I love those rims chrome, especially when the truck is red. There is a L here at one of our local dealers and it has 41 K and its an 01. I want to try and find one with lower miles though, there is a few on ebay right now that are really nice. Thanks again

Old 02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Couldnt be happier with mine. You wont be disappointed.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I don't want to void my waranty so i need to be carful on what i do to the truck. Thing is pretty darn quick as it sits man..

Old 02-11-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the replys, as far as I can tell there doesnt seem to be a single person that regrets getting there L, I think I am seriously going to get one, maybe even this weekend, I'm going up to Ft. Worth to check one out. Thanks again~!

Quick Reply: info on lightnings