Lightning

Newbie: Want to build a lightning... ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie: Want to build a lightning... ?'s

First off im new so don't critisize me to bad if i sound stupid...

Anyways I have a 94 Gt that i have done some work on.. My g/f says im obsessed but she will get over it...

She is the person that is big into trucks in our relationship... She wants an F150 (doesn't matter which year) and she wants me to do the build it up.. (Best of all she's paying for it )

First of all what is the compression ratio on a stock F150? I would prefer to do a 96 or below build up for im quite noligibable on the 302/351 engines...

My first thought is just a set of heads, exhaust and like a Kenne Bell Supercharger... And If it all i would love to start of with a 351 just for the CI's..

But Im open for all ideas...
My g/f is not loaded by any means so i have to keep this on somewhat of a budget.

What should i start with as far as the truck? I know with certian years on mustangs they have better years then others especially on the heads... Is it the same with F150's?

IF need be I can probably handle a Mod motor.. (much more expencive though)

Any thoughts on were to begin?

Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Try looking to start w/ a Gen 1 Lightning (93 to 95), which a nice one can be had for eight to ten thousand dollars. Out of the factory they come with a 351 pushing 240HP(?) and handleing that should beat the Gen 2 L's. From there, you'd be better looking over at NLOC.org in the Gen 1 section or talking to Sal at PSP.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
yeah.. 8-10 G's is a little more then i think she was looking at spending just on the truck... I also hear insurence is a little high on those things... Im 21 and she's 19.

Plus im looking forward to do some modding... I was thinking of just doing a stock looking F150 and beefing up the motor... That way for the same 8-10 i can have the truck and enough money to mod it up myself and set it up the way i like.

There is no fun in just buying something like that...
Also i have a built up 418 i could throw in if at all necessary.. And im willing to bet that it will make 418 rwhp pretty easily. It made 775 fwhp with a small blower on it...

I like the idea of having a stock looking F150 that competes with lightnings..

Old 02-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Moneypit94
yeah.. 8-10 G's is a little more then i think she was looking at spending just on the truck... I also hear insurence is a little high on those things... Im 21 and she's 19.

Plus im looking forward to do some modding... I was thinking of just doing a stock looking F150 and beefing up the motor... That way for the same 8-10 i can have the truck and enough money to mod it up myself and set it up the way i like.

There is no fun in just buying something like that...
Also i have a built up 418 i could throw in if at all necessary.. And im willing to bet that it will make 418 rwhp pretty easily. It made 775 fwhp with a small blower on it...

I like the idea of having a stock looking F150 that competes with lightnings..
Just get a gen 1... With the money you'll spend to do what you want it will probably come out to be the same. Insurance on a gen 1 is not high... I'm 20 and mine is cheap as hell.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:38 PM
This person only wants $2650 for a 94. Check it out.
http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...threadid=63045

Old 02-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by SlowSVT95
Just get a gen 1... With the money you'll spend to do what you want it will probably come out to be the same. Insurance on a gen 1 is not high... I'm 20 and mine is cheap as hell.
I would be ashamed of myself if i couldn't get a lot more then any production peice...

I mean i have 13 in my 94 mustang and engine and it will kill any production motor that ford has made in the past decade...

I think 400 rwhp wouldn't be that hard to get out of an F150... given i don't know how well the rearend and tranny would hold up too it...

A blower and a set of heads maybe a cam, plus all the additional stuff like MAF, injectors, chip, etc...

Then again i don't know this for sure... I do know mustangs but know little about F150's...

If i could find a Lightning for under 3 around here i would be all over that... But i think i could kill a stock Lightning with 10g's to buy the truck and all the mods... (really easy with nitrous) It may only make one run... lol

Old 02-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by SlowSVT95
I'm 20 also, small world in Lightningville.

happen to attend a place of higher learning down there in jewrsy or working it like rob does the ***** strip in NYC?

Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Unoid
I'm 20 also, small world in Lightningville.

happen to attend a place of higher learning down there in jewrsy or working it like rob does the ***** strip in NYC?
I thought you were older.... oops.

Quick Reply: Newbie: Want to build a lightning... ?'s