My FTVB Re-evaluated ???

Ok we all know it's the most awesome Mod, def kick ***,
G's a great guy, his service and products are amazing and
I'm not talking about any of that. Heres my dilemma,

I FRIGGING HATE WINTER AND I HAVE NO TRACTION
so ok last year I had no traction either, but I least I could floor
it once I was doing 30-40 MPH, or I could roll and squeeze into it
eventually getting to WOT and when it shifted gears it was fine
and took all I could throw at it. But ever since installation of the FTVB, it just absolutely roast the tires going into second and through 3rd if you stay on it.
It's been bothering me alot so I did some testing last night with it (BEFORE THE SNOW) )&%$)$%#@%$(#@%$)$@

1st let me say 28 degrees and the WASP was AWESOME,
what a nice loud very present whine it now has, ""YA BABY""
almost like an old pwerful chevelle BB coming down the block
with a gear drive instead of a timing chain
And I'll tell you, just crusing the Ave at a nice 40-50 MPH with overdrive off @ 2500 RPM IS TOTALLY IN THE POWER
All you have to do is touch the pedal and the boost goes to 10
and it pulls like I truly can not believe, never ever did that before.

So here's what I got to question, Is it really better for the tranny to roast the every living schitt out of the tires every entire time you go 1/4 throttle or more ??? and is it better to have those oh so suttle neck jerking shifts 24/7. I understand slipping the factory clutches with our kind of torque is def EVENTUALLY gonna take it's toll, "and this FTVB addresses that", but is burning through each gear really better ??? God forbid you go 1/2 throttle, all hell is gonna break loose when it shifts 2nd and you will have NO CHOICE but to get off it and start steering. AM I THEE ONLY ONE EXPERIENCING THIS ?
I NEVER HAD TO GET OFF THE L WHEN IT SHIFTS, NOW I DO ???

Last night for instance I finally tested the 18 degree timing program in the 28 degree weather. Man oh man was it giving me power I have positivly never ever felt before, this Wasp is a pulling machine. I warmed it up a good 1/2 hour and then did many stop sign tests (YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT)
You truthfully can't get any traction and constantly think the tranny's slipping, "because the wheels are always spinning"
And BTW do the 58" Rancho Bars play a part in this ??? You can easily feel it instantly throws the power to the ground. I got to assume because it's bolted solid it DOES NOT absorb any of the power like a Slapper bar did, they have some distance before locking into the Leaf's and sending the power down to the ground ???

Ok I'd ask if I'm nuts, but we all already know that answer,
So I'll instead ask the people that have a FTVB some Questions:

IS THIS COMMON
ARE YOU EXPERIENCING THIS TOO
IS IT BETTER IN THE WARM WEATHER
CAN YOU STAY WOT ALL GEARS ON THE STREET
WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO FLOOR MY LIGHTNING AGAIN

Old 02-18-2004 | 08:52 AM
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
That answers your 5 questions from way down here.
It's a bone jarring 50* here this morning and I know this. Cold street, cold f-1's, cold air ingested into Eaton= no traction!!!
Forget the ftvb... if I just attempt to accelerate in second gear it's going to lose traction. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you guys up in the cold country.

Old 02-18-2004 | 08:57 AM
|
I FRUCKING LOVE YOU MAN

I'm going to be able to floor it again, NA NA NA NA NA

Old 02-18-2004 | 09:01 AM
Originally posted by litnfast
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
That answers your 5 questions from way down here.
It's a bone jarring 50* here this morning and I know this. Cold street, cold f-1's, cold air ingested into Eaton= no traction!!!
Forget the ftvb... if I just attempt to accelerate in second gear it's going to lose traction. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for you guys up in the cold country.

I must say that I pretty much agree, but I don't have the same amount of wheel spin trouble you describe. It may be due to two factors. 1. I'm not making as much power. 2. I have only 2,700 miles on my F1's. I do notice first thing in the morning, it's in the upper 30's to low 40's. It lights up with ease. Once I get mid 50's to low 60's, and I drive for a while, I can lay on it allot harder without spinning. I don't have traction bars either, so this may have an impact also. Guess that would make three factors. Never mind.
I do know one thing. My wife doesn't like the firm shifts or the whine from my blower now. That means she never wants to drive my L. How did I get so lucky?

Last edited by Mart Man 03 L; 02-18-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2004 | 09:29 AM
Rob,

I've been reading all of your FTVB posts since you installed it. I can relate to everything you've said. Unfortunately, you installed it during one of the coldest winters on the Eastern Seaboard in YEARS. Face it man, until you start hitting 60 + degree temps, as the soup **** would say, "No traction for you!!!"

Take a look at this in-cab ride-along. It's from early May last year. This was at about 11AM and the temp was nearing 55. First off, you'll notice how hard it shifts by seeing the camera jerk to the right when I first take off. And that's only at about 15 MPH. I've scared the ***** out of countless people with windows open, when taking off at a traffic light and you hear <CHIIIRP> at 20 MPH. Kinda funny actually.

Back to the video. Fast forward to about 2:20 and wait till the light turns green. I spin in first and get moving and once it shifts into second, it spins for about 50 yards. Remember, this is on blacktop with the sun beating on it since 6AM. BUT..it's in the 50s.

You'll see once the temps get higher (late May) that your traction problems will go away.

http://www.dragtruk.com/PICS/K7CTTROCYMVW2.mpg

Hope this helps to put your insane, FTVB infatuated, mind at ease a bit.

Old 02-18-2004 | 09:45 AM
Fortunately I get great traction on my garage floor, which is where my truck spends the entire winter.

Maybe try studded tires.

Old 02-18-2004 | 10:00 AM
Rob,
Have faith. Things will get better once the temps start to rise outside. I installed my FTVB last winter while it was stored. I waited until the streets where clear and took it for a drive. EVERY TIME it shifted into 2nd gear it would just spin the tires. I couldn't even tell the shifs where firmed because all it did was spin. After reading the raves reviews before I bought it, I was a little dissapointed. THEN it warmed up. The first time I took it out above 60 degrees it was a whole different trans. Instead of spinning on every shift it now just let out a mean bark, snapped my neck back and kept pulling like a motha Needlees to say I was a happer camper now. In the cold weather I have NO traction at all. I drove the truck this morning to the train station. It's about 20 degress in Chicago. I could not even give it 1/4 peddle before the *** end wanted to kick out. I even tried it at about 40 mph and it would still start spinning. F1's in cold weather just plain suk. Trust me once the warm weather comes back, you'll be grinning from ear to ear

Old 02-18-2004 | 11:17 AM
Follow FT's recommendations and have the torque reduction put back in your chip.

Old 02-18-2004 | 03:03 PM
|
This is just the kind of great info AND AWESOME VID I needed
to see and hear. SMOOOOOOOOOOOKING VID DAN
That was great, I fell as though I know the neighborhood now, heheheh, nice and open too.
I particularly like the first WOT when it goes totally sideways,
........YA BABY, THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT..........
But like you say the WOT @ 2:25 when you give it hell, that Bad Boy is Screaching through the shift like it wasn't even there,
not to mention screaching through and entire neighborhood,
I LOVE IT

Hearing it from The Ripper, Mart Man, Litnfast, You, (Dan) Me,
it just makes me realize the warm weather will bring some traction back to it. THANKS GUYS, and smoking Vid Dan

PS
Tim I can't do it, I rather blow up than deal with Torque Reduction

Old 02-18-2004 | 03:21 PM
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:22 PM
Rob, I've decided it would be in yuor best itnerests to get rid of the FTVB and your Pan and sell themto me for 100$. back to stock you go!

Old 02-18-2004 | 03:47 PM
Rob, I drive mine pretty easy generally speaking.

I thought the 1-2 shift was a bit firm for *normal* driving.... til I got the converter. Now it's perfect! It seems to shift proportionaly to how far your pushing the loud pedal.

from 1% to about 50% throttle input won't spin the tires on the 1-2 shift.

Rich

Old 02-18-2004 | 04:42 PM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
Rob, I drive mine pretty easy generally speaking.

I thought the 1-2 shift was a bit firm for *normal* driving.... til I got the converter. Now it's perfect! It seems to shift proportionaly to how far your pushing the loud pedal.

from 1% to about 50% throttle input won't spin the tires on the 1-2 shift.

Rich
Good point. As tight as the stock converter is, it's no wonder we have traction issues at part throttle. It is nice, though, when it warms up and a little jab of the loud pedal makes your passenger's head whack the rear window

Old 02-18-2004 | 04:56 PM
|
Nice Pic Don, I wish ...

I actually just ran home for a late lunch , @3:30pm
And leaving I realized it was now @ 40 degrees out
NO NOT 40 DEGREES OF TIMING GATOR
and not one single remain of this morning's little snow dusting.
So I turned around and grabbed the Lightning

I'm now back in my office staring out the window at it now
I have thee most awesome spot to stomp it on the way back
AND I DID, Man she's running stronger than ever before.
This WASP more than made up for that upper pulley and way more. I also realized my 18 degree program is def easier on the 1-2 shifts (I guess I do have a little tranny tweaking in the Nitrous Program) ooops..... (yes of course it still went out of control)
I'm talking about when I'm going slow. But I also did a parkway run before coming back to work and I rolled into it heavy in 2nd and the SOB BARKED going into third and took off like a rocket.

I'm loving this power, and got dam did that porting made a huge diff in the way it pulls. Screw the lack of traction, I'm gonna get mesmerized by that oh so cool new extra present whine I have

Old 02-18-2004 | 05:23 PM
Re: My FTVB Re-evaluated ???

Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

1st let me say 28 degrees and the WASP was AWESOME,
you beat me to it in your last reply. I was going to comment on the 28 degrees (of timing) and the WASP being awesome.
on getten the blower on there, and it means something when you cant get traction going 40 miles an hour.
I cant wait till spring!!!
Rob what pulley's are you running? 4# lower and stock upper? And when are you taking it back to the track, and are you ever going to dyno it with juice?
Shane

Last edited by ShaneMcKenna203; 02-18-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: My FTVB Re-evaluated ???