Lightning

Looking at a 00 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004 | 08:22 AM
|
Looking at a 00 Lightning

I am looking at one that has 32K miles and they are asking 19,500 for it. Is this a good price? Anything else I should look for on it besides the usual stuff when getting a used car. Thanks

Old 02-18-2004 | 08:28 AM
Make sure the intercooler swap to the 01 and up model has been done..There was a recall on the 99/00 Ls. Check the foglights and make sure they aren't cracked, definitely make sure you don't hear a loud ticking or what sounds like an exhaust leak under the hood (loose plugs are a biggie on these things.. Of course check for oil leaks etc. Other than that if it drives good, rides smooth and pulls hard they are really good trucks.. I own a 99 L with 95,000 miles and hasn't given me any major problems all except a curse on my tires..It seems I always get flat tires for some odd reason but again thats just my truck.. Enjoy it and make sure everything is all good with it.. They are fun trucks! ..

BTW: I'd try and talk them down a little on that price.. Maybe 17 or 18,000..

Old 02-18-2004 | 08:34 AM
|
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I am definitely going to try to talk them down a little on the price.

Old 02-18-2004 | 09:10 AM
Don't talk to the salesman about the recall, he will say it has been done, they are all liars.....

Before you go talk to the salesman agian, go to the service manager and ask him to pull the records on the truck.

If the recall has not been done, offer 19,000 and the intercooler recall.

That is a fair offer.

Let us know how is goes.

Old 02-18-2004 | 09:21 AM
Get VIN then

as some one said, go to service department. Put vin in their computer to see what warranty issues, if any, not just intercooler recall the truck has. Will probably have service history, too in order to see if it was well maintained. Fairly likely that service done at a dealer while vehicle is in warranty. They didn't run out of mileage (32k), but they did run out of time some time in 03. If that tells you you want this truck, you might negotiate on price more (consumer reports used car price guide gives you accurate numbers) make final sale conditional on runnming Carfax, plus take it to another SVT dealer to really check it out. Might cost you a $100 to do, but would be well worth it. Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2004 | 09:54 PM
My 00 with 32k sold for $19.5 with the following mods: Hotchkis suspension, 03 upper and lower grills painted to match, snuglid bed cover, TSW wheels with Toyo tires, MTX amp and Infinity speakers, Magnaflow exhaust, and probablysome other stuff I have forgotten. Find out the history and offer low. $17.5 would be a good place to start if it is at a dealer.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 00 Lightning