Lightning

What steps do you do to WASH/WAX your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What steps do you do to WASH/WAX your truck?

iv had my truck for about 4 months now, and I have yet to wax it... some has to do with the weather... but im ready... im gonna spend like 8 hours one day soon and just totally detail it.... i wanna try and remove all the swirls (i have black) polish, and a few coats of wax.... then do the interior and engine....

iv heard of zaino, but thats about it.... is it really worth getting an expensive wax compared to mothers, maguires, etc?

so what steps do you do? i was looking at zaino site and they have like 15 differnt applicators, etc and didnt know which ones are worth it and not....

but i dont have to use zaino, actually somethign cheaper is even better... just wondering what methods to take...

thanks, sorry i know this has prolly been talked about before, but i searched and was pretty old... thought maybe someone has found something newer....

Old 02-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up a bunch of Pinnacle products and Microfiber towels and such a couple months ago. As soon as the snow is gone, truck is getting the full meal deal.

She really needs a wax as I haven't done it in almost two years (ssshhh ). Hood and bedcover have never even seen wax. At least not REAL wax, lol.

-Kimball

Old 02-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I use cherry wet wax about once a month. It takes about an hour to put it on. It works pretty good to. Plus a gallon last about a year.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Try this stuff...

I have a few samples and it seems to work pretty good. It is sold by the guy who used to sell Zaino in Dallas

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
I use only Pinnacle products as well. It's the best stuff I've tried yet but if you don't feel like spending the money or mail ordering your wax give Meguiar's NXT wax a try, it's synthetic like Zaino.

http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/techwax.cfm

The procedure for a good detail is basically what's outlined on Zaino's website...

1. Wash your hooptie with a liquid soap (Dawn).

2. Clay bar the truck (use Zaino or Pinnacle clay bars)

3. Polish the truck

4. Wax the truck

If you want to minimize or eliminate any chance of spider webbing or causing small micro-scratches use only microfiber towels on your black truck. I use these towels http://www.microfibertech.com/eliteTowel.html.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:05 PM
I use Zaino and I love the product. I now have a new 03 Sonic Blue Lightning that I will be using the Z5 on.

However, in your case since you mentioned you had swirls I would not recommend Zaino. The Z5 is advertised as a swirl remover but it doesn’t really remove anything and is more popular used for dark colors as Z2 is used for light colors.

Since you’re talking about removing swirls you may need to use a product that a synthetic “may” not bond to. I am no expert in the field of waxing/polishing so you might want to try posting about this in the ”General Care” forum and RockPick or Boss, or some others may be able to lead you in the right direction about the swirl removers and other products to use after that.

Hope it turns out great for you…

Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
1) Take antenna off

2) Make sure tailgate is locked

3) Proceed to drive through the carwash

4) Dry off any water the blow dryers didn't get

OH WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!

I just realized you have a BLACK truck, the above steps only work for WHITE.

!) Hand wash

2) Hand dry

3) Buff out any marks or scratches

4) Use something like 3M hand glaze, wipe on.... make sure you wipe it off while its still wet - DO NOT let it dry like you would with wax.

5) As far as wax goes....... I don't have any recomendations as I never use the stuff.

Old 02-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I don't know if the Zaino shine is any better than Meguires, I didn't notice it, but it is MUCH easier to use than Meguires. That is the main reason that I like it. It takes no effort at all to wipe it off.

Last edited by 5111; 02-23-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Question WHAT ABOUT MOTHERS CAR WAX?????

Is mothers any good for our lightnings

Old 02-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I use Zaino... have for many years. However, since getting my Lightning, I haven't yet found a good tire-care product. The Zaino application doesn't work as well due to all of the grooves on the sidewall of the tire.

Anyone have a good tire-cleaning product/process?

I hate the look of wet/glossy/shiny tires... I just want clean/black tires.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 PM
This may sound silly, but it says a lot of time at the end. I get wide masking tape and mask off all of the plastic trim on the truck before I start. Then you don't have to worry about getting it off the porous trim afterwards! Just peel it right off

Old 02-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by foop
I use Zaino... have for many years. However, since getting my Lightning, I haven't yet found a good tire-care product. The Zaino application doesn't work as well due to all of the grooves on the sidewall of the tire.

Anyone have a good tire-cleaning product/process?

I hate the look of wet/glossy/shiny tires... I just want clean/black tires.
If you want clean tires without gloss, apply the dressing (i.e. Finish 2000 spray or Armor All type stuff...don't use silicone dressing like Tire Wet) BEFORE you wash the truck. Apply it with a sponge (Eagle One makes little "C" shaped applicator).

Just use a dedicated rag or sponge to soap wash the tires, and you'll be left with a faint shine but mostly just clean black looking.

I prefer some gloss, so I dress the tires after washing.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Hand wash with Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Lambswool mitt

Hand dry with Microfibre Drying Towel

Meguiars 3 Stage Deep Crystal paint cleaner, Deep Crystal polish and Deep Crystal Wax

2 applications of Fireglaze paint protectorant.

All applied with a main orbital buffer with micorfibre attachments

Old 02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
For a daily driven truck (or any other vehicle) I've never found anything as good as Liquid Glass. It's expensive and synthetic but it outlasts everything else. Easy to use also. Pep Boys has it around here.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
AMP
Check the build date on your L first.

My buddy owns a detail shop, and insists that no was go on the truck for 6 months after the paint has been sprayed.

He says compounds, polishes, and glazes are fine, because they don't seal the paint, rather "move it".

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: What steps do you do to WASH/WAX your truck?