Lightning

PLug gurus...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004 | 01:14 PM
|
PLug gurus...

I am having a littel problem finding out which plug to use and your help is very much appreciated.

I am currently running a 2.70 upper, 8# lower, ported Eaton, ported upper plenum SBTB, spacer, LT's no cats, MSD ignition, and gobs of other mods but the main problem I am having is with my nitrous/propane set-up.

I am using a NOS wet kit with 100 jets and using propane as the fuel alternative, the kit works great but the plugs are not holding up. I fried IT-22's gapped at .34. I fried TR-6's gapped at .32 and fried Autolite AR-93's... All the plugs worked great on the normal set-up but only last about 3-5 sprays with the combo....I have TR-55ix's in now...All the plugs work fine with my SMC kit as well....

Am I gapping to small??
Am I using too hot of plugs??

I am scratching my head here, trying to find a plug that meets my daily street tune with my nitrous/propane tune...Is that possible? I have had some rough idles but I can live with those....

Only good thing with this is that I can now swap plugs in under an hour......!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jonathan

Old 03-01-2004 | 01:36 PM
got any pics of the plugs? i'd like to see how they failed. the autolite plugs are a pretty strong plug. could it be from detonation? or just being hard on the plug?

Old 03-01-2004 | 05:27 PM
|
I will try to get some plug pics for you guys soon....I dont believe its from detonation....how else could I be hard on the plugs??

Old 03-01-2004 | 06:17 PM
I can't honestly say or recommend for your set up, but have you looked into the silvertips - Beru S1K's? I run them and have had awesome response from them for the last 3000 miles. I tried the 22's and 93's, but had a much smoother throttle response with the S1K's. Absolutely no complaints.

I am not juicing it, but I have the KB at 16lbs boost, a/f is hot out of the gate in the high 14's immediately dropping to 12.1 and leveling - so it isn't necessarily a cool walk in the park for my 5.4.

Just worth looking into I think. My choice to move to the Beru's was on the advice of my tuner, I am certainly not a guru when it comes to plugs.

D-Day

Old 03-01-2004 | 07:43 PM
Not to hijack your thread but I have new factory plugs that were put in during my sprk plug ejection warranty. I had TR^'s in it before. I just added a 4lb lower and wonder if I really need o get the stock "factory" plugs out?

Old 03-01-2004 | 07:44 PM
Well, I d/k anything about NOS or propane but you certainly need a colder plug. I have had

Old 03-01-2004 | 07:46 PM
Well, I d/k anything about NOS or propane but you certainly need a colder plug. I have had NGK BR7EF's in for about 30K and they work fine. They are the next step colder than the TR6's.

Dan

Old 03-01-2004 | 08:57 PM
|
Thanks guys. I will try and get more info on the Berus...I have heard of them but never gave them a shot. I think I will try the BR-7's and see how they like it. If not I will have to keep scratching my head. Pics are coming for sure though.

Dan_03Lightning...Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: PLug gurus...