Lightning

Mobil 1 0-30 "RACING" synthetic a little expensive!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:33 AM
|
Mobil 1 0-30 "RACING" synthetic a little expensive!

have you guys seen this? somebody here on the board brought it to my attention last week or so.

I was thinking of running Mobil 1's new 0-30 Racing oil in my new motor.

here's the hype:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...cing_0W-30.asp

Product Description
Team Penske, West McLaren Mercedes, Porsche, Mopar Performance, Corvette Racing and an incredible 74 percent of NASCAR drivers trust Mobil 1 technology to protect their racing engines. Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30, specifically designed for exceptional performance and protection in NASCAR engines, is now being made available to consumers.

Applications
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is intended for professional, amateur "weekend" race cars, as well as, modern high-output engines of all kinds. It is ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving, high-performance engines used in street applications. Note: Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a different formula than Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-30.
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is especially suitable for racing conditions, where conventional oil may not provide adequate protection
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is designed for use by professional, amateur and weekend racers.
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is ideal for high-horsepower, high output engines used in street applications.
until I saw this:

PRICES:

1 Qt. for $10.95 each

Last edited by superfords; 03-02-2004 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2004 | 12:41 AM
|
with my Moroso pan's 7quart capacity and a filter, that's nearly $100 bucks an oil change! and that's not including labor!

sheesh

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:43 AM
You gotta pay to play.

Honestly, even though you are building your engine up, you would be better off running a traditional synthetic oil. The race performance oils have some sophisticated additive technology, but aren't designed for normal drain intervals. If you want to run a synthetic, stick to the traditional Mobil 1, Royal Purple or Redline.

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:52 AM
I bought Mobil 1 0w30 the other day the autoparts store. It was with the rest of the oils andcost the same as 5w30 mobil 1.

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:59 AM
|
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
but aren't designed for normal drain intervals. If you want to run a synthetic, stick to the traditional Mobil 1
I hear you, but read this:
http://www2.exxonmobil.com/Corporate...r_041103_4.asp

FAIRFAX, Virginia (November 4, 2003) - High-performance automotive enthusiasts will soon be able to get the same boost and protection that professional race car drivers get thanks to the introduction by ExxonMobil of its new proprietary racing oil -- Mobil 1® Racing 0W-30. The new formulation will be available to the public in early Spring 2004.

"We developed Mobil 1 Racing for people who live to drive high-performance cars," said Tom Olszewski, technical services advisor at ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "Whether they put Mobil 1 Racing in their Honda Civic or Grand Prix GTP supercharged engine, drivers are going to notice a difference in how long their engine lasts and how well it performs under extreme driving conditions."

Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 also incorporates anti-wear technology to help protect supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving engines with outstanding shear stability and a robust additive package to extend engine life. Compared to conventional racing oils and higher-viscosity synthetic motor oils, Mobil 1 Racing provides faster flow to critical engine parts to provide the ultimate in performance.

Additional information about Mobil 1 and other ExxonMobil lubricants can be found at www.exxonmobil.com.
it seems to me as though they are advertising as a "racing oil for your street car". no? that would mean normal change intervals...

i don't know.

either way, it's still too much for a bottle of oil.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 03-02-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2004 | 01:01 AM
|
Originally posted by LatemodelRacer2
I bought Mobil 1 0w30 the other day the autoparts store. It was with the rest of the oils andcost the same as 5w30 mobil 1.
quote from first link:
Applications
Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is intended for professional, amateur "weekend" race cars, as well as, modern high-output engines of all kinds. It is ideal for supercharged, turbocharged and high-revving, high-performance engines used in street applications. Note: Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 is a different formula than Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-30.

Old 03-02-2004 | 01:22 AM
Chris to answer your question, Ive never used or know anybody that has used this oil.

Now my 2 cents

I currently use Royal Purple in my 02 Lightning, every oil change I ask myself why. Chances are Im going to either blow this motor or trade the truck in before the benifits of a synthetic would take place. Ive raced other cars before and used synthetics and again, Ive always blown the motor before the bearings have worn out. Chris, Im sure you will relate to this statement. I worked in a dealership and we saw a few Modulars with over 100,000 miles on them and even those showed no bearing wear. You could still see cross hatches in the cylinders as well, in this day and age engines and oils have improved incredibly since the true Muscle car era. Just pick a synthetic and go with it, even if you can pick up 5 extra hp, its cheaper to find another way than oil.

/Rant off

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:32 AM
yeah thats a little expensive for us mere mortals..

R & S Auto has regular Mobil 1 on sale for 3.99 @ qt this week. Iam staying with that

Old 03-02-2004 | 06:32 AM
I sure hope you know to NOT break in that new motor with synthetic oil.

Put about 1k miles on it, then change it out.

Mobil1 racing oil is the best bar none oil on the market for high performance usage, it is the same oil used by the majority of Nascar teams during racing ( you cant get the oil they use to qualify, its too thin )

Is 100 bucks for an oil change really too much for you to spend after all the money you have already spent on your motor? Dont forget to use a good quality filter too, and not a Ford one.

AY 2004

Old 03-02-2004 | 07:57 AM
What about Amsoil ?

I know this can start quite a debate when it comes to oil ! I have always used Mobile 1. My '04 L wont be going to synthetic until around 1500 miles, but I am still researching for the BEST oil for use in it. I currently use Amsoil in my motorcycle and my jetski's but does anyone use it in there L ? Also what oil filter do you guys recommend if it isn't the Motorcraft 820S ?

Craig

'04 Sonic Blue

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:08 AM
|
Originally posted by Grey03
I sure hope you know to NOT break in that new motor with synthetic oil.

Put about 1k miles on it, then change it out.

that's certainly a debatable statement, but I have decided to run the engine for at least 500 miles on conventional oil.

Originally posted by Grey03
Dont forget to use a good quality filter too, and not a Ford one.
Ford motorcraft filters are actually very good quality.

and I do plan on using them.

just out of curiosity, which filter do you suggest?

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:14 AM
I am sure once my new motor is broken in. Shouldn't take too long going to Florida and back (2000 miles round trip) I will give the Mobil1 racing oil a try.

With all the stuff on the internet hopefully somebody will find it cheaper then that.

Also I use a Fram X2 filter.

VINNIE

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:25 AM
Filter

I use a K&N Gold oil filter, $9.95 @ Advanced Auto Parts. Part No. HP 2010. A little "pricey" but after spending what seems like Trillions for mods, I'm not gonna be cheap with filters and oil. BTW, I currently use Royal Purple Race 11 (5w-20) and might just try this new Mobil Race oil, John H.

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:34 AM
Originally posted by BigFan

I currently use Royal Purple in my 02 Lightning, every oil change I ask myself why. Chances are Im going to either blow this motor or trade the truck in before the benifits of a synthetic would take place.
/Rant off
Ding ding ding....we have a winner...Not only bearing wear, but piston/wall wear as well. I've seen plenty of motors out there that have been beat to he** running turbos, blowers, etc, all with the original honing marks on the cyl. walls and perfect compression, running dino oil for their whole life. Maybe on a turbo where the oil is used to cool some really hot bearings it would be worth it.....

I'd put the $75 dollars towards a good oil temperature gauge to make sure that what I am running is in the right temperature range.

Randy

Old 03-02-2004 | 10:59 AM
"We developed Mobil 1 Racing for people who live to drive high-performance cars," said Tom Olszewski, technical services advisor at ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "Whether they put Mobil 1 Racing in their Honda Civic or Grand Prix GTP supercharged engine, drivers are going to notice a difference in how long their engine lasts and how well it performs under extreme driving conditions."
Can be rewritten as:

We developed Mobil 1 Racing for people who live to drive high-performance cars, and are dumb enough to waste large amounts of money on them," said Tom Olszewski, technical services advisor at ExxonMobil Lubrcants @ Specialties. "Whether they put Mobil 1 Racing in their Honda Civc or Grand Prix GTP supercharged engie, we are still going to make a killing!!! Being in the lubricant business, we know that any of the modern synthetic oils are good enough to make engines last 100's of thousands of miles, but there's a specific group of people that aren't satisfied unless they are wasting money on their rides. We figure why should Royal Purple make all of the money off these people? ExxonMobil should too!!!"

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0-30 "RACING" synthetic a little expensive!