Lightning

Magnaflow - installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004 | 09:28 PM
|
Magnaflow - installation problems

okay, i need some major help!

i ordered a magnaflow exhaust and commenced the installation process.

removed factory mufflers. attempted to install magna's and started running into problems. had to remove the body panelling/trim directly above the exhaust tips. got that done. i then had trouble lining the factory pipes leading down from the motor with the magnaflow muffler. the instructions state and i quote:
"the catalytic converter pipes will need to be re-positioned (twisted) so the adjustment bracket on the passenger-side pipe rests below the stud on the driver-side pipe."

the catalytic converter pipes, especially the one coming down from the passenger side of the truck are major rigid. this just doesn't seem right.

any ideas? i am open and highly pissed!!!!!

thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2004 | 09:36 PM
While this won't help, I had fit issues on the Magnaflow as well, they were resolved by brute force, pushing turning and twisting the cat back to get the tips to line up right, on an up note zero problems in over a year. Good luck, Todd

Old 03-07-2004 | 09:47 PM
|
Todd,

thanks for the response. there is a bracket that connects the two cat pipes between the cats and the mufflers. are you supposed to unbolt this? doing so would release the two pipes from one another. i am just concerned that the right hand side won't drop down enough to get things going in the right direction! aaagggghhhhhh. again, thank you!

Old 03-07-2004 | 10:03 PM
unbolting the pipes will help, but I still had to take mine to a muffler shop to bend the tubes to get it to fit.

it was real fun driving from home to the muffler shop with no exhaust!

Old 03-07-2004 | 11:01 PM
Originally posted by xz06
Todd,

thanks for the response. there is a bracket that connects the two cat pipes between the cats and the mufflers. are you supposed to unbolt this? doing so would release the two pipes from one another. i am just concerned that the right hand side won't drop down enough to get things going in the right direction! aaagggghhhhhh. again, thank you!
I unnolted it on mine when i installed my JDM catback. It gave me that extra little bit to line it all up.

Old 03-07-2004 | 11:06 PM
Magnaflow

Loosen the right mid pipe at the manifold,it must be loose enough to move by hand. then move it to line up with the Magnaflow catback. install the catback on the hangers, then retighten the bolts at the manifold. Larry

Old 03-08-2004 | 12:53 AM
Re: Magnaflow

Originally posted by ****
Loosen the right mid pipe at the manifold,it must be loose enough to move by hand. then move it to line up with the Magnaflow catback. install the catback on the hangers, then retighten the bolts at the manifold. Larry
ditto

Old 03-08-2004 | 01:48 AM
When I installed mine I also had fitment issues mainly at the midpipe/cat area. I actually used rathcet type belt to sandwich the pipes closer together

Old 03-08-2004 | 07:28 AM
I just put the MF on this Saturday, and after I loosened the passenger cat pipe, and unbolted the small mid-pipe bracket as the instructions indicate, it went back together with no problems.

Old 03-08-2004 | 12:16 PM
|
thanks gentleman! great info. i just don't see how that right side cat pipe can loosen up enough even by unbolting at the flange for the manifold and cat pipes. i will tackle that bad boy here shortly . i am worried now about the positioning of the tips upon completion. this was supposed to be simple!

Old 03-08-2004 | 12:24 PM
after I got mine on, I took it to the local muffler shop and had them heat the pipes and bend them a lil to fit the opening a lil better. thats probably gonna be your best option. I had a nightmare of a different sort with my magnaflow catback......but now that its over and I have it on...it was all worth it for that beautiful rumble.

Josh

Old 03-08-2004 | 05:05 PM
|
Blown5Pnt4,

what sort of nightmare did you encounter?

Old 03-10-2004 | 03:07 PM
Re: Magnaflow

Originally posted by ****
What Larry says! Two nuts, 15mm deep well socket w/ extension.

Jake...

Old 03-10-2004 | 06:58 PM
I was just about to order a MF cat back system when I read this post. Is that what your having problems with or were you replacing more or just the muffler.

Old 03-10-2004 | 09:04 PM
|
i got the MF'n MF's on! thanks for the info guys. i wish magnaflow's directions would have mentioned loosening the cat and manifold pipe. my dad broke both manifolds on a pickup once upon a time and i have been gunshy when it comes to messing with that part of the vehicle. anyway, buckstop515, i bought the cat back system. it features the muffler (dual inlet, dual outlet) and two 4" chrome tips. once i loosened the flange between the cat pipes and manifold pipes, cake! get this, i really hammered down on the band clamps that magnaflow provides to clamp the muffler around the factory cat pipe. well, i drove for about an hour, checked things, all was well, drove another hour and wham, the muffler slid back enough to push the tips into the rear side of the trim that surrounds the tips. sheeeyyyyaaaatttt! i was fuming. that will cost me. not a good overall experience but the tone is worth the sweat and frustration. sounds bad A! thanks for the help guys, hope i can help someone down the line.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow - installation problems