Lightning

First mods - JLP 12sec L in a box

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 12:58 PM
|
Talking First mods - JLP 12sec L in a box

Just got them the other day:

I'm waiting to go to a dyno before I put everything on so I can do a mod-by-mod dyno pull to see what each actually does for my truck.

You guys have any suggestions on which order and how many times I should dyno each combo? The shop I am going to charges $60 for 3 pulls but I'm going to see if I can do six.

-Base pull with Apten (2 pulls)
-4# pulley added (1 pull)
-Ramair kit added (1 pull)
-JLP Tuned Predator added (2 pulls)

Let me know what you guys think

On a side note I haven't loaded my custom tune but I've already been using the Predator for diagnostics on my truck and have come across a couple things.

-My stock timing is 14 WOT
-My MAF went up to 4.99v on a WOT run
-Intake temps can get between 20-30 degrees above ambient driving in the city even with the stock airbox not to mention IAT2 doubling that difference.

Last edited by RollinLimp2001; 03-12-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2004 | 01:04 PM
The only thing I would think about changing is maybe the Intake before the 4# lower, because the 4# w/ stock airbox may be too much abd give you a low #.

VINNIE

Old 03-12-2004 | 02:11 PM
I agree with VINNIE, do the cold air before the pully. Oh yeah post your results when you are done.

Old 03-12-2004 | 05:05 PM
I would also do the cold air first. I would be a little worried running the ported eaton and a 4lb pulley with no tune

Old 03-12-2004 | 05:34 PM
whos got the best price out right now for a predator pulley and plugs? cant find any combo's on any of the websites. any of the tuners have a deal going?

Old 03-12-2004 | 06:25 PM
12's Here you come, Now you need some cool temps. Good Luck..

PEacE.....................
Jim

Old 03-12-2004 | 11:53 PM
|
Originally posted by VINNIE
The only thing I would think about changing is maybe the Intake before the 4# lower, because the 4# w/ stock airbox may be too much abd give you a low #.

VINNIE
Ya I figured either order I did the intake or pulley I would see lower than optimal numbers for whatever I did first (i.e. pulley posting higher because of better intake or intake posting higher because of higher vacuum with 4# pulley). But ya I guess, with the Apten on already, the stock airbox is probably going to bigger restriction after I put on the lower. So ok I'll do the intake first.
Also I think I'll be ok with doing the tune last since I can monitor my A/F while on the dyno...right?

Thanks guys

Old 03-12-2004 | 11:57 PM
|
Originally posted by JimJr
whos got the best price out right now for a predator pulley and plugs? cant find any combo's on any of the websites. any of the tuners have a deal going?
Ya I squeezed in on the JLP 2 month special for the combos that just ended last month. I'm not sure that anyone is running any current specials on them but sometimes it's better to call because they sometimes have unadvertised specials going on. Good luck with your search

Old 03-13-2004 | 08:22 AM
Re: First mods - JLP 12sec L in a box

Originally posted by RollinLimp2001

-My stock timing is 14 WOT
-My MAF went up to 4.99v on a WOT run
[/i]
CONGRATS Limp,
excellent Mods (and the only ones you REALLY need)
Some years only have @11 Degrees Stock Timing, nice to see 14,
(you know I love my timing) BTW if your already at 4.99V, YOUR NEED A TUNE RIGHT NOW I assume the Apten's already on ???

Just remember EVERYTHING plays a part of the BIG PICTURE. (overall Mod Picture) By individually Dynoing them, it may not show you anything interesting at all. And BTW, pesonally I think your doing it in the wrong order too. An Apten on a stock Motor may not respond as well, as say one on a 450 HP Motor. Plus it looks like your Maf is alrady maxed out ??? so you stand the chance to max out the maf by adding anything at this point.

Cool air induction will show ZERO Dyno Results (the truck aint moving) Put that on right away, the results are felt and seen driving with the old "seat of the pants meter" and consistant ET's.
Also throw the Denso's in now (I hope you went with IT-22's)
(You can Dyno now the first time, to get a Base pull, too bad the Aptens alreay on.....

2nd I would upload a CUSTOM program on the Predator NOW
to get that Maf Voltage down
(Now I would Dyno the 2nd time, to see what the Predator ads)
That only takes two minutes so it can be done the same day.

3rd I would add the Pulley, re-tune the Predator (IF NEED BE)
(And now Dyno the 3rd time, to see what the Pulley added)
This mod only takes maybe 30-40 minutes, so again you may be able to do it the same day (if they can give you a 1/2 hour break)

For the 4th Dyno, I would add Nitrous AND WATCH THAT BAY BOY REALLY ADD HP

GOOD LUCK BRO, YOU SHOULD BE WELL INTO THE 400/500 CLUB

Old 03-14-2004 | 05:11 AM
|
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. The only reason the Apten is on before the other mods is because I wanted to get in on the group deal to get the discount. I knew I was going to be adding the pulley, chip, filter shortly after that. But ya I had my stock eaton ported so I couldn't have a base pull done now. But there's quite a few stock dyno numbers out there so I can go roughly off of those. And then see how a Apten does on an otherwise stock engine, then with a 4# and filter, and then a custom tune. And yes I did get the IT22s.

So I guess my question is will it matter much if I do one or two pulls of each combination? Will there be much veriation between pulls with the same setup?

Old 03-14-2004 | 08:06 AM
Man we have seen sooooooooo many diff variations of dyno results around here, that I don't even know if you can truly get a EXACT before and after result, (testing any Mod the same day.)
Of course you'll see perfomance improvement, but maybe not the true diff.

It also seems when you run it 3 times the same day on the same set up, you'll SOMETIMES get 3 diff results, so a before and after pull may not ALWAYS give you the EXACT diff.

We should look at Dynos as a dam good estimate of what we're pushing, but not always the maximum OR MINIMUM power of that particular set up we're testing at that time.

In your case the Apten's on, so ya why not Dyno it now and get some numbers (you know where the stock #'s should be like you say)

Then add the Tune, and see what diff you see, then later plugs and Pulley and get another improvement reading

Either that, OR SCREW SCIENCE and put it all on, and go get some final results, 3 times over

Old 03-14-2004 | 10:43 AM
Originally posted by VINNIE

VINNIE
Don't you beleive it...

I am seeing 15-16# on a modded stock box with 4# lower and Apten

Old 03-14-2004 | 01:12 PM
|
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
Either that, OR SCREW SCIENCE and put it all on, and go get some final results, 3 times over
DONT tempt me Rob

Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
Then add the Tune, and see what diff you see, then later plugs and Pulley and get another improvement reading
I had Johnny tune my predator based on the whole package (apten, 4#, and intake) so I don't think I would see great numbers if I'm dynoing on a tune that doesnt have all the added enhancements. Plus the shop I'm going to is 3 hours away so I was wanting to get them all done while I was there.

Quick Reply: First mods - JLP 12sec L in a box