Lightning

K&N filter oil and MAF?? Superfords? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004 | 08:52 PM
|
K&N filter oil and MAF?? Superfords? Anyone?

Does the oil from a k&n filter screw up the MAF on these trucks-does it also cause a lean condition?? any reply is appreciated!

Old 03-13-2004 | 10:24 PM
No and NO....

so don't spray the MAF sensor with the filter oil..don't touch the sensor ...if you do get it oily clean wit cue tips and alcohol.
The filter oil goes on the outside of the filter....it you apply a light even red coat on the outside of the filter..let it dry for a while...then put it on....you will not have a problem.....

Old 03-14-2004 | 03:28 AM
I say: Yes and YES.

the oil from a K&N (or any other type of oiled filter) can screw up the mass air flow sensor, and it can cause that sensor to give false readings which "could" cause a either a lean or rich condition.

however, using the filter out of the box is not the problem. the problem is that everybody want's to "service" their K&N filter too frequently. (I think it's only suggested like every 50K miles or something like that?) and when people clean them, they don't have the patience to do it properly. the process takes a good 2 days to do properly, nobody has the patience for that. so the filter ends up getting over oiled.

it's this excess oil that can create problems with the MAF.

so it's not really the filter's fault, but the users fault by over oiling the filter.

just my .02

later,
chris

Old 03-14-2004 | 08:42 AM
Originally posted by superfords
I say: Yes and YES.

the oil from a K&N (or any other type of oiled filter) can screw up the mass air flow sensor, and it can cause that sensor to give false readings which "could" cause a either a lean or rich condition.

however, using the filter out of the box is not the problem. the problem is that everybody want's to "service" their K&N filter too frequently. (I think it's only suggested like every 50K miles or something like that?) and when people clean them, they don't have the patience to do it properly. the process takes a good 2 days to do properly, nobody has the patience for that. so the filter ends up getting over oiled.

it's this excess oil that can create problems with the MAF.

so it's not really the filter's fault, but the users fault by over oiling the filter.

just my .02

later,
chris
Chris,
Wow, 2 days to clean a K&N? Are you serious? You must have another mode of transportation to let your filter clean for 2 days. You are the man!

Old 03-14-2004 | 08:45 AM
|
chris-so are the filters ok from the factory-thanks man! if not, should i shake it out a little??

Old 03-14-2004 | 10:59 AM
well, honestly it's been quite a while since I read the directions on one. but if you read the cleaning instructions I believe that it says to wash the filter and then let it sit overnight to AIR DRY.

NO HEAT, NO COMPRESSED AIR.

DAY 1

then it instructs you to oil EVERY OTHER pleat on the filter and then let it sit overnight again.

DAY 2

check the filter, the oil should have spread to the "in between" pleats.

if there are any white spots remaining at this point then they instruct you to go and "touch up" any remaining unoiled sections.

so if you just spray the pleats all at once, you are overoiling.

it sounds crazy, but I believe that is why we see issues with over oiling.

nobody (including me) has the patience to take the time to do it properly.

but as I said, these things don't need service but once every 4-5 years according to average mileage of 10-12K a year.

it's just seems like a "fun, easy" Saturday driveway project that people do too frequently and to quickly.

just my .02

again though, out of the box filters should be fine, they are properly oiled and require no additional oil.

later,
chris

Old 03-14-2004 | 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rkoenig
Chris,
Wow, 2 days to clean a K&N? Are you serious? You must have another mode of transportation to let your filter clean for 2 days. You are the man!
Just drive it with the stock filter for a day or two while it is drying...not a difficult concept.

Old 03-14-2004 | 03:03 PM
Originally posted by fractaldragon
Just drive it with the stock filter for a day or two while it is drying...not a difficult concept.
True!

Quick Reply: K&N filter oil and MAF?? Superfords? Anyone?