Lightning

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Locks

Hey whats going on? I am having a problem with my door locks. They wont lock or unlock when i push either the keypad, or the button on the door. It makes a sound like its trying to lock, and it just doesnt move. It used to move half way, then i would push the button again, and it would jus barely budge. I did a search and found others have had this problem but didnt find how to fix it. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Josh

Old 03-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Take the door apart and see if you notice any physical problems, maybe its getting hung up on something. Its a simple device to trouble shoot... you will see what I mean when you take the door trim off.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Konig
Take the door apart and see if you notice any physical problems, maybe its getting hung up on something. Its a simple device to trouble shoot... you will see what I mean when you take the door trim off.
If that's not the problem, it's probably the door lock actuators. I just had my drivers side replaced. It was doing the same as yours.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Almost possitive it's the actuator. I had the same problem on mine. I have an 03 so it was covered by Ford.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I dont see any mechanical problem in the door, as it getting hung up or somethin. I dont know about the actuators, but thats probably the problem. Where can i get these and for how much? Is it something i could install myself, i have a 2000 so my warranty is gone.Thanks.

Josh

Old 03-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Lightbulb cheap reliable fix

Same thing happened to me, ended up being the actuators. If you want an easy fix, go to best buy CAR INSTALL and buy actuators they're 20$, (fords are 60+ for the part)slim, powerful, and really easy to install! I just had to cut the wires from the factory actuator -(the 2 thick ones) and hook them up in the right polarity to the new one. I was able to disconnect the factory actuator in the door and left the whole thing in there - but hey it's not an L and I don't care about the extra weight!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks frostby, ill look into that, thanks for tha help everybody. This site is always reliable, anytime i have a question, i know somebody will answer it for me, thanks again.

Josh

Old 07-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Re: cheap reliable fix

Originally posted by frostby
Same thing happened to me, ended up being the actuators. If you want an easy fix, go to best buy CAR INSTALL and buy actuators they're 20$, (fords are 60+ for the part)slim, powerful, and really easy to install! I just had to cut the wires from the factory actuator -(the 2 thick ones) and hook them up in the right polarity to the new one. I was able to disconnect the factory actuator in the door and left the whole thing in there - but hey it's not an L and I don't care about the extra weight!!!
Frostby

Did you get your actuators at a local BESTBUY? Or online? I'm not quite clear on that.

My son's 99 F150 Lariet needs them. How does it make out leaving them in? I'm confused. Wouldn't they be in the way of the new ones?

Jim

Old 07-27-2004, 08:24 AM
I watched the dude at Car Toys tak off the door panel.

He popped the upper rear pillar trim with the palm of his hand and it unsnapped.

Then I think there were two screws and the whole door panel lifts up in one peace.

The switches and lights come loose from the panel and just hang.

I don't know how deep the actuators are put there seem to be holes and slots to get in there.

Good Luck

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ
I watched the dude at Car Toys tak off the door panel.

He popped the upper rear pillar trim with the palm of his hand and it unsnapped.

Then I think there were two screws and the whole door panel lifts up in one peace.

The switches and lights come loose from the panel and just hang.

I don't know how deep the actuators are put there seem to be holes and slots to get in there.

Good Luck

Let us know how it turns out.
Well I got it done today.

I bought two from BestBuy but they are a universal type. I didn't want to fuse with them. So I went to Ford. They have new and better ones for $ 60.00 more. So I used them and they went in fine. The post here did a good job on describeing how to remove the latch and actuator by Mr.Bentwrench.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163553&highlight=actuat ors

Quick Reply: Door Locks