Lightning

Help, Where is this oil coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004 | 08:16 PM
|
Angry Help, Where is this oil coming from?

This is a pic of the tranny and oil pan, there is a small amount of oil accumulating at the bottom,

Old 03-16-2004 | 08:18 PM
|
This below one is right after the run where th truck broke.

You can see oil dripping and smoke

I plan on changing the plugs and getting under the car next weekend to try and figure out where the oil is coming from. Any input on where to start is much appreciated.

Old 03-17-2004 | 01:33 AM
It looks like you might have the passenger side oil leak at the back of the head.

Been there. Done that.

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:08 AM
May be a little difficult due to the angle, but one of the best ways to find leaks is to clean up the area real good, and drive it for a bit, then look for a fresh fluid trail...

You mentioned the truck was broken...? So maybe that is out...
It looks as though it is coming from between the trans, and motor, due to the pan looking clean...?

I know older Ford's had rear main leakage issues, not sure that is the case with the newer mod motors though...?

Old 03-17-2004 | 10:16 AM
I agree, check the head gaskets first.

The rear main seal/slinger set-up is pretty tough, but where the oil is "dripping" by the tranny inspection cover, it is possible. try taking that cover off (two bolts) and looking at the flywheel, I would think if the rear main seal is leaking, there would be oil all over it.

When the head gaskets leak, they typically drain around the bell housing. So you might see the dripping by the tranny inspection cover (a low point) but the flywheel etc should be dry.

You could check the coolant tank for oil too. If you toasted the head gasket (most likely) there may be oil floating around in there.

I am, of course, assuming you havn't punched a hole in the block.

Good luck

Andy

Old 03-17-2004 | 01:29 PM
OMG... the Lightning I had over the weekend I was going to buy had the same exact oil in the same exact place. 1 out of 5 drives you could smell oil when you parked and shut the motor off and then even smell oil through the vents if you have the heat/ac on but it didn't do this all the time. The strong oil smell outside the truck and inside through the vents would only last about 20 seconds or so then it was gone.

I wanna know what the deal is with this since I might still buy the truck (I didn't realise how good the braking and handling was in the L until I got back into a standard F150). Oh and also, standing in front of the truck with the hood open, there was a small puddle of clean oil (about the size of a quarter or half dollar from what I could see) directly under the driver side of the supercharger down in the motor valley.

Old 03-17-2004 | 04:37 PM
I would start from the top of your motor and work your way to the bottom. If you drive it, the oil will blow around splatter everywhere; therefore, you dont know where the leak is comming from. I had the same problem with my jeep and I just started from top and worked my way to the bottom, and it was the oil pan gasket.

Old 03-17-2004 | 05:16 PM
If the passenger side head is leaking.....climb under the truck..with a flashlight..position yourself were you can look directly up behind the head..this can be done..I did it. use the light and if it is leaking you will see a shiney wet trail...I did...it was the passenger side head...you may want to let it leak...verses having someone butcher the job...

Old 03-17-2004 | 06:46 PM
i recently foudn the same problem, didnt take the time to check if theres oil under the truck, but i smell it when the heats on n when i get out, should i let it leake, will it cause major damage , n will i lose power? any info will be great. thanks

Old 03-17-2004 | 07:40 PM
Dam I hate hearing schitt like this
It seems between a leaking head gasket, spitting spark plug,
a blown tranny, or rod through the block, it's just a matter of
time for a lot of us, when we get to a certain power level.

I only pray my theory of only using the xtra 75HP "for special ocassions" keeps me clean of these prob's a while longer

Best of luck halflife, I hope it's a simple and fast fix for you Bro

Old 03-18-2004 | 11:29 AM
|
Well I checked the oil, looks fine and the coolant looks fine... I have to get a scan tool to see what code it threw because the CEL is on now.

Old 03-18-2004 | 11:42 AM
I think autozome can scan for the code and they do it for free I believe.

Josh

Quick Reply: Help, Where is this oil coming from?