Lightning

How Come a L doesn't have Traction Control ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:34 PM
The traction control on my race car runs of 1 wheel sensor and a sensor in the tranny. To reduce wheel spin it retards timming as neccassary.

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:48 PM
I was just busting Robs chops!
This was a quote from his night of stretching the rods.

Rob does R&D for Ford at his part time job. :-)

Originally posted by EZGZ
Traction Control?

If I'm stopped at a light I put it down in first, I then roll out and hold it around 2000 - 3000 RPM, "MAN IS THE WASP WHINING" Then I stab it to the floor, of course all hell breaks loose, BUT immiediatly as fast as I stap it, I throw second, "get off it a mili second" and then stap it again starting all hell to brake loose again, then I do the same for third. Kinda like you would stap it, then shift, then stapit again, on Manual transmission, (instead of power shifting) the results are amazing. I CAN NOT believe how much frigging Torque and Power this sucker is putting down.

Even with 27lbs of air and moving at 3000 RPM in 1st, when you hit it, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Then when you immediatly Shift
2nd get off it a "milli second" and then stap it again, the tires again start roasting, but you have much more control, then you do it again, shift 3rd immediatly, get off it a mili sec, and stap it again. The results were a roll to 120 MPH blast basically burning rubber the entire way up through third gear
but you have fairly good control because your keeping the RPM's down, and getting off it a sec between shifts.

IT'S FUN AND I'M GONNA BE DOING THIS A LOT NOW
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-17-2004 | 10:19 PM
superfords, mustang GT has solid rear and traction contrtrol. Button is directly infront of the shifter between the rear defrogger and the foglamps.

Old 03-17-2004 | 10:47 PM
did a quick search on the web and came up with this company that makes an aftermarket traction control .... looks pretty interesting. they are from the UK but they say their system can be fitted to any car.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction.htm

kj

Old 03-18-2004 | 04:00 AM
I had TC on my 99 Cobra and hated it! It defaulted to "ON", and every once in a while I'd forget to turn it off. Almost got me killed when pulling across a damp 4 lane, and it tried to shut down. The only traction control I need is in my right shoe.

Old 03-18-2004 | 04:46 AM
The "traction control" on the Cobra's isn't exactly that, and it's far from stability control found on vette's and bmw's.

basically when a tire slips (wet road, turning right, uneven pavement), the car falls flat on it's face. Just hope no one is coming toward you!

i turn it off after i start the car.

Old 03-18-2004 | 06:42 AM
|
Originally posted by EZGZ
Traction Control?

If I'm stopped at a light I put it down in first, I then roll out and hold it around 2000 - 3000 RPM, "MAN IS THE WASP WHINING" Then I stab it to the floor, of course all hell breaks loose, BUT immiediatly as fast as I stap it, I throw second, "get off it a mili second" and then stap it again starting all hell to brake loose again, then I do the same for third. Kinda like you would stap it, then shift, then stapit again, on Manual transmission, (instead of power shifting) the results are amazing. I CAN NOT believe how much frigging Torque and Power this sucker is putting down.

Even with 27lbs of air and moving at 3000 RPM in 1st, when you hit it, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Then when you immediatly Shift
2nd get off it a "milli second" and then stap it again, the tires again start roasting, but you have much more control, then you do it again, shift 3rd immediatly, get off it a mili sec, and stap it again. The results were a roll to 120 MPH blast basically burning rubber the entire way up through third gear
but you have fairly good control because your keeping the RPM's down, and getting off it a sec between shifts.

IT'S FUN AND I'M GONNA BE DOING THIS A LOT NOW
FYI
I have since then lowered my air to 25lbs EZ hehehehehehehe, ok maybe I'd still have a little traction problem even with traction control HAHAHAHAHA

Don, why would you be so anti-traction control ???
I understand about Technoligy being some what dangerous when it allows you to maybe get away with something you couldn't usually get away with. But when it equals Traction
on what would normally be dam near impossible driving conditions, AND DANGEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS,
WHY NOT ?
Listen I'm having some fun with it on the side streets testing
it's limit's, but that don't mean I'm putting meself OR MY SON
in danger, it just means, WOW this traction control makes a 100% diff on snow and ice, and it seems all cars should have it.

here, this is right this second, looking out my front door
(sorry still in my morning smoking jacket, couldn't get closer)

it's going to continue to snow on and off all day today, and then
the big storm is coming tommorrow, when they now expect
another 6" on top of what we got now, and today adds.
I'm sorry, but I'm glad I got traction control, and something tells
me the light will be on a lot the next few days. Plus all I got to do is push a button and turn it off (but why would I want to right now) ?

Old 03-18-2004 | 09:13 AM
Rob without traction control =

Rob with traction control = @#$@#$@#$@$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$ @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@$#@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@$ #@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@ #$@#$@#$@#$@$#@@#$.................I can't believe that honda civic just kicked my a$$.

D-Day

Old 03-18-2004 | 10:23 AM
Okay I know it's not a comparison really, but when I had my '00 24v Taurus with traction control it really put me in more danger than without. Similair to what someone mentioned before. If you tried to get out of the way at an intersection ie: some othe idiot running a light, the vehicle would fall flat on it's face and then take a very long second or two to allow you to get going, or so it seemed. It was sort of okay in the snow but not in the rain. It got to the point where whenever I would start the thing up I would automatically switch the system off.

I did read in C&D a while back that the T/C in the mustangs did allow some wheelspin and would only interfere when it detected the two front wheels moving at a different speed of each other. What that means is that if you got on it and the car started to go sideways the T/C would kick in then because one front wheel would be moving at a different rate than the other due to the sideways motion of the vehicle.

Aw whatever, T/C sucks. I think that I should should put some Jack with my morning coffee today.

Old 03-18-2004 | 11:26 AM
I will say this much, traction control however limiting it may be, does protect you from a temporary case of "dumb ***-itis". The date is April 14, 1999 and I suffered from a temporary case of dumb assitis. In my C5 on an on ramp, top of 2nd doing 80 and lost control as I went over a wet patch on the ramp. She was never the same after that. If I would have had the traction control ON, I would still have that vette.

D-Day

Old 03-18-2004 | 03:54 PM
|
You guys bring up both good Pro's and Con's for the Traction Control, good Info, THANKS

And I guess I can see why some would want it, and others NOT.
Falling flat on power at the wrong momement could cause to
be a very dangerous and even deadly situation.

I will say this morning ride in was another perfect test run for it,
I drive sides streets the entire way to work and today it was a 6 mile drive on pure ice, (with fresh snow on top of it)

I now see too very different characteristics of this system,
when on pure 100% ice, you can truly squeeze it slowly and firmly to just about wot, but it aint revving and slipping higher than 2000 -4000 rpm the entire time, all while firmly but slip freely climbing to speed. And your right, it could be dangerous, because it was so icy that even the slighest feather touch on the brake pedal was sending the ABS dancing all over (it truly was 100% ice) and this is the exact block that I have had to stop at least ten times on "this year", go into 4wd high range with my former Cherokee, and still go sidesways down the entire 1/2 mile block totally without control it was a breeze in this thing, much more control.

But when your on wet or slushy / snow roads, it will rev
up to maybe 5000 rpm max while getting up to speed mush more quicker and aggresivaly (but again with vey min slippage) BUT SOME. The red line on this car starts at 6000 RPM and goes to 9000 PRM, so 5000RPM is nothing.

hey all I can say is, for what it's been the last few days --> I love it, and for driving on ice, man I think ever vehicle should have it.

Old 03-18-2004 | 05:04 PM
Traction control is for pussies!

cats! i mean cats! really!

Old 03-18-2004 | 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

Nice pic of your Lightning in the snow Rob........

Here's a pic of my Lightning in the snow

Quick Reply: How Come a L doesn't have Traction Control ??