Lightning

How Come a L doesn't have Traction Control ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004 | 03:27 PM
|
How Come a L doesn't have Traction Control ??

Is it a strength issue, but the Cobra + Vettes have it ???
Is it a Rear Wheel Drive issue, but the Cobra + Vettes have it ???
What would the dis-advantage be, the Cobra + Vettes have it ???

As you know we got hit with another little snow deal here in LI, maybe it's only 3-5" whatever, but it meant snow plows and sanders and salters, and very bad road conditions when it got dark and cold. Last night I was out in it at a very bad time while the temps where droping into 20's with my Miti-what-ever-the-hell-they-call-it, (the Dia-something) has FWD w/ Traction Controll. The roads were real bad at this particular time, half plowed, sheets of ice, freezing ice/snow coming down, etc...

Man i got to tell you, it's amazing, simply amazing, maybe better than my Jeep Cherokee was even when it was in 4WD,
(if your comparing traction on the road) Of course with a Jeep and hi + low range, you can barrel through mounds of anything, but I'm talking about taking off, acceleration, control, bla bla bla.

This system seems to be designed like F-1 launch contoll, meaning
I can get into it as hard as I want, and it plays all kind of games with cylinders cutting in and out, (or at least it sounds like it)funny stuff with the tranny, no excessive spinning EVEN IF YOU TRY I can dam near WOT from a dead stop on a sheet of ice and it kinda takes off like it's running on only a few cylinders, I see the MPH only slip maybe 2MPH here and there , the tach will also only show very slight loss of control.

It seems to not only shifts power back and forth from front wheel to front wheel, it also seems to upshift and down shift the addative transmission (or what ever they call it) and you can also feel what seems like the the motor cutting in and out, like your riding a governor, yet the RPM are only like 2-4000. Once you hit a main road or drive pavement, the light stops flashing, and it's back to normal, I BE LIKING THIS

Man this would make driving a Lightning a breeze in the Snow, is there a dis-advantage or loss of drivetrain strength issue ???
Would it be a costly addition for the car makers ??? Does the Cobra have a system like this, does it make a big diff ???,
Can it handle well in snow ??? my 96 Cobra was impossible I know that ? Why why why ?

Old 03-17-2004 | 03:32 PM
food for thought

At Semi-show they had an AWD 32V WOrks SUPERCHARGED 5.4L ford SUV.

Now if the tranny and AWD can stand up to the 5.4 32v Supercharged on a HEAVIER VEHICLE. why couldn't it work on the LIghtning?

Old 03-17-2004 | 03:34 PM
Rob,

i dont know the answers to your questions... but one of my best friends has a 2003 Mustang Mach I and he has it.... he said he really likes it... but he said when he turns it off, he does gain some power!!!

wish we had it, would be kinda nice

Old 03-17-2004 | 04:00 PM
Cost.

Personally I think people are getting to reliant on some of this automotive technology. When they go into a driving situation that's over thier head (mostly excessive speed) and the tech stuff does'nt pull thier butt out? They crash. And crash bad too.. When If they had some common sense about the physics of a 4,500 pound mass traveling at speed to begin with...

Ah never mind.... I don't want to get started on it...

Rich

Old 03-17-2004 | 05:06 PM
I believe that all of the vehicles with traction control have two abs sensors/exciter rings to monitor wheel speed (and thus tire slippage) all "heritage" F-150s have solid rear axle and only one rear sensor in the center at the differential housing. also, all of them are IRS with the exception of crown vic/grand marquis and town cars.

not that this should necessarily prevent Ford from making this system work, but it might not be an optimal system with only the one sensor.

just my .02

later,
chris

Old 03-17-2004 | 05:13 PM
you could also use it as a valet switch kinda, so when your girlfriend/wife drive it they would get a little help with the torque control. hahahaha j/k kinda

Old 03-17-2004 | 05:38 PM
It does

they are called slicks

Old 03-17-2004 | 05:58 PM
Mine has traction control. I wear a size 11 boot on it.

Old 03-17-2004 | 07:42 PM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
Cost.

Personally I think people are getting to reliant on some of this automotive technology. When they go into a driving situation that's over thier head (mostly excessive speed) and the tech stuff does'nt pull thier butt out? They crash. And crash bad too.. When If they had some common sense about the physics of a 4,500 pound mass traveling at speed to begin with...

Rich

Old 03-17-2004 | 08:04 PM
Traction Control?

If I'm stopped at a light I put it down in first, I then roll out and hold it around 2000 - 3000 RPM, "MAN IS THE WASP WHINING" Then I stab it to the floor, of course all hell breaks loose, BUT immiediatly as fast as I stap it, I throw second, "get off it a mili second" and then stap it again starting all hell to brake loose again, then I do the same for third. Kinda like you would stap it, then shift, then stapit again, on Manual transmission, (instead of power shifting) the results are amazing. I CAN NOT believe how much frigging Torque and Power this sucker is putting down.

Even with 27lbs of air and moving at 3000 RPM in 1st, when you hit it, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Then when you immediatly Shift
2nd get off it a "milli second" and then stap it again, the tires again start roasting, but you have much more control, then you do it again, shift 3rd immediatly, get off it a mili sec, and stap it again. The results were a roll to 120 MPH blast basically burning rubber the entire way up through third gear
but you have fairly good control because your keeping the RPM's down, and getting off it a sec between shifts.

IT'S FUN AND I'M GONNA BE DOING THIS A LOT NOW

Old 03-17-2004 | 08:18 PM
Cost.

Rich

Old 03-17-2004 | 08:26 PM
Cost.

Rich
Yep I agree totally...

Old 03-17-2004 | 08:48 PM
Originally posted by EZGZ
Traction Control?

If I'm stopped at a light I put it down in first, I then roll out and hold it around 2000 - 3000 RPM, "MAN IS THE WASP WHINING" Then I stab it to the floor, of course all hell breaks loose, BUT immiediatly as fast as I stap it, I throw second, "get off it a mili second" and then stap it again starting all hell to brake loose again, then I do the same for third. Kinda like you would stap it, then shift, then stapit again, on Manual transmission, (instead of power shifting) the results are amazing. I CAN NOT believe how much frigging Torque and Power this sucker is putting down.

Even with 27lbs of air and moving at 3000 RPM in 1st, when you hit it, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Then when you immediatly Shift
2nd get off it a "milli second" and then stap it again, the tires again start roasting, but you have much more control, then you do it again, shift 3rd immediatly, get off it a mili sec, and stap it again. The results were a roll to 120 MPH blast basically burning rubber the entire way up through third gear
but you have fairly good control because your keeping the RPM's down, and getting off it a sec between shifts.

IT'S FUN AND I'M GONNA BE DOING THIS A LOT NOW
Goodbye 4r100. It's been nice knowing you.

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:12 PM
I am so happy the L doesn't have traction control

I have driven 03 Cobra's and SVT Focus's with the traction control, and I just hate it.

So when I went to but my SVT Focus I searched all high and low to find a siver one with out the traction control. There were only 2 of them with out the traction control within 700 miles of me. Lucky one of them was close enough to me, so thats the one I bought.

I had so much fun driving it around in the snow the past two days, and I know it will be even better at auto x events this year.

Old 03-17-2004 | 09:33 PM
Because then you would have idiots driving Lightnings, Oh wait a minute..........scratch that thought

Quick Reply: How Come a L doesn't have Traction Control ??