Lightning

is 6lb pulley too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:48 AM

Prove me Wrong

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:54 AM

this is downright funny... Kinda like a 10 year old arguing with thier Grandpa or Father about how something works.

It's beyond your comprehension, and not worth my time to explain years and years of basic engineering principals.

Simply not worth it, Rich

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:55 AM
The caged/uncaged issue has been around forever and will never die.

To get back on subject. I would not run a 6# lower w/ the ported Eaton on a stock block.

You are still dealing with basically a Expedition motor with stonger wrist pins and lower compression.

Definately taking the motor to the edge.

VINNIE

Old 03-20-2004 | 11:34 AM
I Like 6lbs, and run it 24/7 on the streets (except winter)
It's great for a WOT blast here and there and totally safe.
But of course your not staying in it for too long too often.

But when I race it, I switch to 4lbs, WOT for 10-12 seconds in a Lightning is a long time, with 6lbs of pulley you will be screaming major RPM and Major Boost crossing the finish line.
I will admitt I have raced with 6lbs and also 75 HP of Nitrous on top of that, all on a stock Motor, but I don't make a habbit of it.
I personally think that is too much on a stock block

Now I have the Ported Eaton Mod, I WILL most likely go for my best ET using 6lbs+75HP. But after that I hope to run consistant high 11's with 4lbs of extra pulley only.
(and me giggle gas of course)

Old 03-20-2004 | 06:44 PM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl

this is downright funny... Kinda like a 10 year old arguing with thier Grandpa or Father about how something works.

It's beyond your comprehension, and not worth my time to explain years and years of basic engineering principals.

Simply not worth it, Rich

If the cageless pulleys didn't work and caused bearing failure you would hear about it. There are roughly 25,000 Lightnings running around. Where are the bearing failures?????????????

Engineering Principals.... lol. Typical...

All you can do it type a bunch of garbage. As I said.. Prove me wrong. SHOW US the failures caused by uncaged pulleys oh wise one.

Old 03-21-2004 | 03:07 AM
well rob thats not giggle gas, the dentists use a totally different form of nitrous. you can die from inhaling nos.

Old 03-21-2004 | 08:13 AM
Hello I know that (it's just a figure of speech)

Originally posted by VINNIE
I would not run a 6# lower w/ the ported Eaton on a stock block.

You are still dealing with basically a Expedition motor with stonger wrist pins and lower compression.

Definately taking the motor to the edge.

VINNIE
Listen to Mr "I drove AND RACED all over the US running a 8lb Lower ON A STOCK BLOCK"

Old 03-21-2004 | 09:13 AM
TTA89,

Do you not understand what a class 1 lever is? And what happens when you lengthen that lever by about 4-5 times it's length?

Your the one who is wrong. Not me and basic physics. I challenge YOU to show me 25,000 stock block 5.4L engines (w/cageless pulleys) that have over 125k miles on them.

Dude I used to to bearing failure analysis for a living. And not just a generic "bearing" either. I did F.E.A.D. bearings.

You so wrapped up in your own self rightousness that your "blind" to some ultra basic principals.

Guys I'm sorry for getting off topic. & I'll not respond to this subject any longer,

Regards, Rich

Old 03-21-2004 | 10:52 AM
Rich, I’m willing to bet there’s more than just a few of us that appreciate your insight, thanks.

Old 03-21-2004 | 10:59 AM
Rich,

All you keep doing is trying to backup your statements with theory. Theory isn't always correct.

Where are the 25K motors? They are still running... Look at the cause of most Lightning engine failures. Its not from main bearings.

You can stay in the classroom and keep telling people about a part that "fixes" a problem that doesnt exist. Out here in the real world where we actually drive and race our trucks there is no premature bearing wear caused by uncagged pulleys...

We can agree to disagree but until I see proof, not theory I won't buy into it.

Old 03-21-2004 | 12:10 PM
Originally posted by rav1972
well rob thats not giggle gas, the dentists use a totally different form of nitrous. you can die from inhaling nos.
For your info, there is no difference between medical grade (the stuff the dentist puts you to sleep with) and non-medical grade (the stuff for your car) other than the sulfur added in non-medical grade so that if there is a leak you can smell it since the medical grade Nitrous oxide is oderless.

Quick Reply: is 6lb pulley too much?