Lightning

is 6lb pulley too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004 | 11:12 AM
|
is 6lb pulley too much?

have a guy that has a brand new 6lb never installed said he would sell to me.... im just curious, with all the stuff I have now... would I be pushing it a little too much or would I still be on the 'safe' side.....

also, how much extra HP would going from 4-6lb increase???

Old 03-19-2004 | 11:30 AM
A lot of guys run them.

However I am of the unpopular opinion that it produces too much heat from a eaton, and if it's an uncaged version? That it is too much load for the front main crankshaft bearing. (for longevity sake)

Rich

Old 03-19-2004 | 11:32 AM
i dont see a problem i've been running a 6lbs for over a year

just added the 2.8 upper,

staying around 16lbs boost is safe and a with a good tune

Old 03-19-2004 | 12:03 PM
It works well ... I think it is about the maximum you
want to do with a stock motor.

I don't see how changing the diameter of a pulley
affects the load on the shaft ???

Cliff

Old 03-19-2004 | 12:16 PM
SVT_KY,

Not only does it increase the load on the entire blower / belt system (highest loads during acceleration) but an uncaged pulley now adds a simple class 1 lever effect to the front main. A load that was not there before because the cage held a big ole bearing.

I'm not trying to come accross as God on this as some have accused me of in the past. But I was a FEAD engineer for 6 years doing Ford projects. Also I've heard from a insider on *this* very issue. My thoughts and opinion on this subject are not just your "typical" arm chair engineer WWW garbage.

Rich

Old 03-19-2004 | 01:52 PM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
SVT_KY,

Not only does it increase the load on the entire blower / belt system (highest loads during acceleration) but an uncaged pulley now adds a simple class 1 lever effect to the front main. A load that was not there before because the cage held a big ole bearing.

I'm not trying to come accross as God on this as some have accused me of in the past. But I was a FEAD engineer for 6 years doing Ford projects. Also I've heard from a insider on *this* very issue. My thoughts and opinion on this subject are not just your "typical" arm chair engineer WWW garbage.

Rich
Exactly how damaging is this effect you talk about...How is it likely to effect wear on my blower? Is this load existant with a 4lb? Are caged pulley's okay?

Old 03-19-2004 | 03:12 PM
Caged pullies are what comes on the motor to begin with. So yes they are "ok". And BTW: A big FYI to everyone. Do you really think Ford would have tooled the "caged design" for no particular reason?

The additional load on the blower is a small amount that you don't really need to worry about.

The new load I'm talking about is on the crankshafts front main bearing.

One thing that everyone has to keep in mind is that we shoot for a 150k mile life w/o major repairs or major service.

I can promise you papa Ford would never have spent the $$ to put that cage on there if they did'nt have too. But then again like I said, thier life expectantcy goals dictate certian things that sometimes don't make sense to the avg wanna-be arm chair engineer.

Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 03-19-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2004 | 03:21 PM
So wydopnthrtl, do you think it's ok to go with a 6lb pulley with a cage or would it be better to stay with a 4lb pulley? I had 65K on my last lightning and put the 2lbs caged pulley on around 10K, so I had the 2lbs on for 55K miles, and never had a problem.

Thanks for the help and good insite.

John

Old 03-19-2004 | 07:29 PM
I have the 6lb caged pulley on mine for about a year and had the 4lb on forr 2 years before that no prob here. I thought you gain a pound or two of boost with the ported eaton so with the 6lber and a ported eaton that may be a little much for a stock block.

Old 03-19-2004 | 09:51 PM
Stick with the 4LB it will last longer believe me I know!:o

Old 03-19-2004 | 09:52 PM
Originally posted by bacamino
I have the 6lb caged pulley on mine for about a year and had the 4lb on forr 2 years before that no prob here. I thought you gain a pound or two of boost with the ported eaton so with the 6lber and a ported eaton that may be a little much for a stock block.
I totally agree.............

PEacE.................
Jim

Old 03-19-2004 | 10:53 PM
The block, crank and bearings will far outlast the heads and valve train.
Heat is also a big factor.
The internal tolerances are designed to be correct at operating temps. Emissions forces them to be a bit on the high side.

A little cooler operating temp and some self control with a cold engine and a good lubrication schedual will go a long way to increase engine life even with more than the factory boost.

Remember all the fuss about cold weather increasing boost and detonation. Thats where the danger lies.

Running the proper octane with the right mods is also critical.

With boost in bypass mode these engines have less stress than your standard 5.4 because of lower compression ratio.

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
Caged pullies are what comes on the motor to begin with. So yes they are "ok". And BTW: A big FYI to everyone. Do you really think Ford would have tooled the "caged design" for no particular reason?

The additional load on the blower is a small amount that you don't really need to worry about.

The new load I'm talking about is on the crankshafts front main bearing.

One thing that everyone has to keep in mind is that we shoot for a 150k mile life w/o major repairs or major service.

I can promise you papa Ford would never have spent the $$ to put that cage on there if they did'nt have too. But then again like I said, thier life expectantcy goals dictate certian things that sometimes don't make sense to the avg wanna-be arm chair engineer.

Rich
The reason ford setup the bracket to support the pulley is because the pulley that they designed weighs a billion pounds!!! The reason for this is the rubber insulation they used to keep keep the pulley QUIET. Ford has to make any attempt to keep the noise and vibrations to a min so the people that buy these trucks don't complain about blower noises from there supercharged trucks... Yeah its stupid but then so are most people.

Look at the weight difference between the stock pulley and a non caged aftermarket pulley. The aftermarket pulley weighs like 1lb.

I havent seen anyone show signs of engine failure due to front mail bearing wear. Thats complete BS.

Just for the record I have had a non caged 4lb on for 21K miles now and have 23K on the truck. No issues.

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:38 AM
Can you say harmonic balancer?

That is what the weight and rubber insulator and all that is about.

It does have an effect on bearing life!

The stock engine has been balanced but when you drive another device like the S/C from that crank pulley it sends down vibrations even though it is a belt driven.

Another long life design is having the boost bypass. With out the boost the vibration is reduced along with the power. We all know that power is heat. Heat eats away at your engine.

Don't forget the factory intendid this truck to have a normal lifespand and operate in all types of enviroments and conditions.

When we mod our trucks we are not neccassarily hurting them we are just specializing them to our specific needs. Most of us know that with the mods we have to drive them a little different.
Kudo's to the guys that add additional gauges to monitor things like tranny temps and boost etc. Even changing the tune.

It just allows us to drive our trucks instead of having it all done automaticaly. Which is Borrrrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnng!

By reducing the weight anywhere on the rotating mass it allows the engine to accelerate fastor because it requires less inertia. That includes the aluminum driveshaft and going to light weight wheels and tires.

Old 03-20-2004 | 10:45 AM
*TTA89*

A prime example of a arm chair engineer.

I havent seen anyone show signs of engine failure due to front mail bearing wear. Thats complete BS

So..? How many mod motors have you engineered, tore down w/ over 150k on them, and then done full on analysis's of?

Talk about "BS"....

Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 03-20-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: is 6lb pulley too much?