Lightning

I have a lot of questions, can you help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004 | 04:17 PM
|
Question I have a lot of questions, can you help???

Ok I have a ton of questions and I am hoping to get some good answers.

I have a 2002 L that I am building with a few go fast parts. The parts I am starting with;

Zex Kit-75-100 shot
#4 or #6 lower
Air Intake
New Plugs-NGK TR6's
Cat Back
Predator Flash Unit
Full Guage Setup to Track Everything
Ported Blower (maybe??)

The questions;

What is the deal with the spark plugs being blown out? Do I need to do something to keep this from happening?

I keep hearing a #6 is to much for the stock block, is a #4 safe?

Am I safer running a 75 shot of nitrous or is 100 ok?

I am open to suggestions. I want to go as fast as possible while keeping the truck driveable everyday and not killing the motor.

Old 03-20-2004 | 05:48 PM
A good tune is KEY. Rob runs (I believe) A 75 shot with a 4 or 6lber. No troubles yet. Give one of our supporting vendors here a call, they can help you the most. Key to the spark plugs is making sure they are tight! I check mine every few thousand miles to be safe. Hopefully won't have to do that for much longer. Best of luck with the new setup! -Mat-

Old 03-20-2004 | 05:52 PM
Well here is my input for what its worth.

Forced induction vehicles create a tremendous amount of cylinder pressure and have a very high intake velocity. Depending on the ignition system and the gapping of the plugs the spark may not be strong enough to jump the gap. The intake velocity will literaly blow out the spark and the motor will fall flat on its face. You will need to either decrease the gap on your plugs or increase the power of the spark. My experience with lightnings is to keep the gap around .035 with a 4lb or 6lb pulley but you mileage may vary on that.

Adding pulleys , nitrous, or both the stock motor can be dangerous and anything can happen but it is well understood that a "safe" tune will go along ways in keeping rods inside the block.

Gauges are fun and useful but if you have a problem showing up on a gauge (ie low oil pressure) it will be already to late to stop any damage.

If you plan on pushing the edge with the truck get it Dyno tuned by one the "tuners" and use your head when stomping on the loud peddle and you will probably be ok. Either was modding is fun as hell and give's me alot of enjoyment personally.

Good luck,
Bob

Old 03-20-2004 | 07:04 PM
LOL

I read into your post too much about spark plug "blow out".

Anyways

Old 03-20-2004 | 08:13 PM
I would go with a NGK BR7, if you use 4# & 75 nitrous shot. Do not go 100 shot + 6#. I think tou will be 2 far over the edge with a stock block. JMHO.

Old 03-21-2004 | 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Bob Tompkins
Well here is my input for what its worth.

Forced induction vehicles create a tremendous amount of cylinder pressure and have a very high intake velocity. Depending on the ignition system and the gapping of the plugs the spark may not be strong enough to jump the gap. The intake velocity will literaly blow out the spark. You will need to either decrease the gap on your plugs or increase the power of the spark. My experience with lightnings is to keep the gap around .035 with a 4lb or 6lb pulley.....
Good luck,
Bob
Excellent Point Bob, Thats why I use a Multi Spark Ignition
Fact: a Plasma Booster will fire CORRECTLY up to 1.00 Gap
And Don is correct on you needing a colder plug.
I run Denso IT-22's gapped at .038 -.040 and they work flawlessly, I WOULD NOT use TR-6's with Juice.

Note: some people will not be able to run that big a gap with 15/16lbs of Boost plus Nitrous with the stock ignition. Like Bod said, the more boost you have, and the more HP you throw at it, "hence higher cylinder pressure" puts you at greater risk of blowing the spark out, so most HAVE TO go to a smaller gap to prevent this. Schitt some are running as small as .032. But the Fact is The larger the Gap the more power you make, so for me a Multi Spark Ignition goes hand and hand with Big Boost and Nitrous, thats why I have one. Mine don't skip a beat from idle to 6000 RPM even gapped @ .040

Of course a great Nitrous Tune is thee most important factor here, JLP hooked me up big time, I love his tunes.

Like Mat said, I run 75HP and usually 4lbs, I tried 6lbs once, but that set-up prob won't see the track again (thats a bit much for a stock Motor) (ok maybe one more time to whoop Gator's Butt)

65HP +4lbs is where I originally started and I ran it alot the first Nitrous Season testing diff programs, launches, set-ups, etc...
I ran 12.5, then got it down to 12.3, then 12.2, and then
(2) 12.0's, then I had Johnny do one reburn to tweak it a little.
Next time out I tried 75HP +6lbs and it netted me an 11.81 instantly on it's first AND ONLY 6lb Nitrous Pass.

Now I added a WASP (Ported Eaton) also added the FTVB, and switched to JDM Ranco Bars from Truck Traks. Next time out I'll try 4lbs + 75 HP and I do expect another 11 sec pass

4lbs + 75HP will get you mid to upper 11's, and thats all I'm willing to push my stock motor. I'll leave the Fastest Stock Block in the World to me Pal Mat

Crewie, thee most important thing is to NOT run on the edge of a tune with Nitrous, you want to be pig rich (for added safety), you want colder plugs (for added safety), and you DO NOT want to hit the Rev Limiter and shut down the fuel delivery. Your limiter needs to be moved to at least 6000 RPM. I hope when you say Predator, your having one of our Tuners put a Nitrous Tune on there for you ???

Old 03-22-2004 | 12:23 AM
|
Hey Rob_02 thanks for the info.

Let me know what you think about this.

I am puting nitrous on my L, but I will only run it once in a blue moon.

I have a Chevelle that I use for drag racing, I just want to have my L a little more fun.

My concern is setting the truck up for nitrous, then not really using it that often.

How are the Denso's when I am just driving around normally?
Will they foul easier and need to be changed more?
Will I ruin the ability to drive it daily?
What's wrong with the TR6's?
Is an after market ignition going to keep the truck safer?

I am a sponge, feel free to soak me with information.

I use my L as a daily driver and I want to keep it reliable, I don't want to ride the edge.

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:12 AM
What is the deal with the spark plugs being blown out? Do I need to do something to keep this from happening?
Yes! Change them to one that is 2 ranges colder and torque properly. That's it.. Nothing else.

I keep hearing a #6 is to much for the stock block, is a #4 safe?
Since your gonna be spraying I'd keep er at a "4#" lower with the stock upper.

Am I safer running a 75 shot of nitrous or is 100 ok?
I'm not an expert on this one. But I'd guess to stick with a 75 shot since you wanna keep the motor as-is.

I'd did'nt see you mention anything about traction or tranny life? At this level you'll want to address these areas before all the power increase takes place.

Rich

Old 03-22-2004 | 10:04 AM
Run the 4lb lower and 75 shot and ported blower and get your predator tuned by JLP PSP OR RWTD dont use the stock tunes. I have a 4lb lower and 35 shot on mine but when the built lower end goes in this summer the jets get changed to a 100 shot and 8lb lower goes on.

Quick Reply: I have a lot of questions, can you help???