Lightning

Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:18 PM
L.V
I have "not" read this whole thread YET.
But I plan to when I have more time.
IM leaving for Disney world tomorrow.

1 thing stuck out and I just HAD TO LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Not So Sure...
Red:
I'm thinking that it might be YOU that ALMOST understands the Lightning PCV system.

Vince

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:24 PM
Re: Re: Gotcha!

Originally posted by superfords I still think that a decent baffle filter would do the trick. as I showed before, the valve cover baffle on these engines is just an empty hole. if you could fill it with a screen or filter (steel woolish filter like in the back of a 5.0L engine?) it would cure a large percentage of our problem.
I thought you said why in one of your posts but what was the reason you didnt decide to do this yourself? I think you mentioned that ford can't do it because it needs to be serviceable or something like that. You woulda been a good guinea pig.

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:29 PM
I like the baffle idea. Stop the oil BEFORE it leaves the engine, instead of trying to redirect it AFTER it leaves the engine. Kind of like tall breathers, huh?

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:30 PM
Re: Re: Re: Gotcha!

Originally posted by grinomyte
I thought you said why in one of your posts but what was the reason you didnt decide to do this yourself?
believe it or not. time.

even though I've been waiting on the machine shop since last fall, I never even thought about modifying the valve covers until it was time to install them (and they had already been painted). by this time, I was in a severe time crunch because the truck was all disassembled at my dealership, and my daily driver bronco was "under contract" and the buyer was calling me like twice a day wanting to come pick it up.

so honestly, I just didn't plan ahead on that one, and then didn't have enough time at the last minute to try and find a suitable baffle setup or screen material.

oh well, maybe next time.

Old 03-22-2004 | 08:42 PM
|
Game Over!

Red:

You're killing me here, Chief. It's now clear that you completely lack any UNDERSTANDING of this topic. You're taking this discussion in the same worthless direction that you've taken EVERY discussion on this topic lately.

As for your continued harping on the meaningless, ambiguous terms "blow" and "suck", it's clear that you're compensating for your complete lack of knowledge of fluid mechanics by attempting to force the discussion to be framed in these useless terms.

Look - fluid flows from "high" pressure to "low" pressure. The terms "high" and "low" are also relative, and meaningless and ambiguous as far as fluid flow goes. For example, 10,000,000 PSI (PSIA or PSIG - your choice) is "low" as far as fluid flow is concerned if on the other end of the pipe or duct or throttle body or whatever the pressure is 10,000,001 PSI. Likewise, 0.0002 PSIA (almost a total "vacuum" to us Earthlings where "atmospheric" is accepted to be in the neighborhood of 14.7 PSIA) is high pressure, as far as fluid flow is concerned, if on the other end of the pipe or duct or throttle body the pressure is 0.0001 PSIA. Get it?

Look, the laws governing the action of the universe are NOT written in English, or "American", or whatever language it is you speak, so please stop trying to force discussion to conform to your meaningless descriptors. Fluid flow through a duct is described by a pressure vector field, viscosity, density, friction factor, and the like. NOWHERE do terms like "blow" and "suck" come into play.

For example, air flows through a throttle body FROM the MAF TOWARD the supercharger due to the fact that the pressure on the inlet (MAF) side is always higher than the pressure on the outlet (supercharger) side. End of story.

Is the air "sucked" through the throttle body? Sure, if it helps you visualize. The "vacuum" (a meaningless term, understood to be a pressure less than the accepted "atmospheric" pressure of 14.7 PSIA on Earth) is higher on the supercharger side, and the air is "sucked" through.

Is the air "blown" through the throttle body? Damn right, it is. The higher pressure on the inlet (MAF) side of the throttle body forces the air through the throttle body to the lower pressure on the outlet (supercharger) side, even though both pressures are less than 14.7 PSIA.

You need to loosen the straps on your cranium a bit.

So, as for the PCV system when the lower intake is under "vacuum" (below 14.7 PSIA)...

Dirty crankcase air is "sucked" out of the passenger's side valve cover, and is replaced by clean air via the driver's side inlet.

OR

Clean, metered air is "blown" into the driver's side valve cover, forcing dirty crankcase air out of the passenger's side outlet.

Both are correct, as far as the stupid, non-descriptive English terms go.

Tell me this - when you have a "low pressure" weather system (barometric pressure less than 14.7 PSIA) overhead and the air is moving sideways along the ground really quickly, messing up your combover, do you say:

The wind is really SUCKING hard today!

Well, you should, via your thinking.

Now, as far as further discussion of the Lightning PCV system goes, provide information to back your assertions, or please stop wasting my/our time. I've reviewed your "contributions" on this topic, and I'm not holding my breath, mind you.

It seems that you're a well-trained parrot, repeating some information/misinformation that someone you trust has fed to you. That is pretty clear.

I'm going to try ignore you from here on in, and have a nice day.

Old 03-22-2004 | 09:05 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
how about a Fresca?

fresh, irreverant, well authored, and technically sound threads...quite refreshing.

Old 03-22-2004 | 09:19 PM
|
Boo-YAH!

Bob:

Right back atcha!

Old 03-22-2004 | 10:04 PM
Its the comb over part that got me! Where's milford? Im from Columbus.

Old 03-22-2004 | 10:20 PM
|
Cincy!

Wurk:

Suburban Cincinnati. By "suburban", I mean "on a horrible little cow-path of a road out in the middle of nowhere, but only about 30 minutes from downtown".

Maybe we'll meet up at National Trail sometime, or at Edgewater down here in Cincy.

Old 03-22-2004 | 10:21 PM
Re: Game Over!

Last edited by RED 92; 04-25-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2004 | 10:34 PM
|
Polly Want A Cracker?

Well, you've proven that you understand the concepts of "cut" and "paste", but little else of relevance to this topic.

Away with you, parrot.

You're greatly overestimating the contribution of outside-provided information to my understanding of this subject.

Unlike yourself, I actually DID and contine to DO the research.

Never hurts to run it by others relatively "in the know". Notice that I didn't consult with you before starting this post, though.

I'm done with you.

Old 03-22-2004 | 10:49 PM
|
And...

...And apparently the "Edit" function as well!

And no, I DIDN'T design the tragically flawed PCV system that, under all driving conditions, bathes the entire intake tract with dirty motor oil from the crankcase. That person wears a hockey helmet to work.

I also DIDN'T come up with the bright idea to frame wax the driver's side lower control arm before assembly, OR to only machine three threads into the spark plug holes, OR to install cheap, pencil-thin powder-forged rods into an otherwise indestructable rotating assembly, OR any of the other poorly-thought-out design features of an otherwise outstanding vehicle.

This fact in no way precludes being able to research and lead an otherwise civil and informed discussion on the topic of the function and modification of the PCV circuit, I can assure you (although, for some reason, you seem to think it does).

Old 03-22-2004 | 11:18 PM
Re: Polly Want A Cracker?

Last edited by RED 92; 04-25-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2004 | 11:25 PM
Re: And...

Originally posted by Silver-Y2K-SVT
...And apparently the "Edit" function as well!

And no, I DIDN'T design the tragically flawed PCV system that, under all driving conditions, bathes the entire intake tract with dirty motor oil from the crankcase. That person wears a hockey helmet to work.
This problem has been around since 1963 on all makes of cars foreign and domestic....I dont wear a hockey helmet to work anymore.

Last edited by RED 92; 03-23-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2004 | 12:03 AM
this went from informing to fun....

and NO i dont need a picture to take a leak.....the instructional video from steeles "how to pee on people at the man-house" did just fine

Quick Reply: Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod