Lightning

Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 01:08 AM
L.V
You're killing me here, Chief. It's now clear that you completely lack any UNDERSTANDING of this topic. You're taking this discussion in the same worthless direction that you've taken EVERY discussion on this topic lately.
I Still have not read the whole topic. Very long, but i promise that i will.

Silver-Y2K-SVT,
Contact me personally.
Check out my vendor site on the NLOC and Harley site.
L&S Auto.
I would sure like to talk to you in private.
HOWEVER I will be gone for a week on vacation.
Search my name, tell me what you think.
I explain it in very simple terms.
Im not expecting you to agree, just a experienced mechanics view and solution.
my email is
fasterandfaster@***.net
work # is 225-756-8488.

I too have had endless, POINTLESS conversations with RED92.
I give up on talking to him as well.
This whole situatioin is not that hard to fix and understand.
Just read my post and form an opinion and lets talk real world results.
There will never be a perfect solution.
Engines are totally waste generators. WE all agree.
Never perfect , but room for improvment.
What to do with all the waste, Check out my Idea please, then lets talk.
Vince

Old 03-23-2004 | 01:13 AM
L.V
grinomyte

Search me here, and on the NLOC and Harley sites,
L&S auto
Vince

I have tried the oil screen you thinking of in the valve cover as well as in the oil filler neck tube.
DID NOT HELP AT ALL.
I explain my results in very simple terms.
Check me out and let me know.
Vince

Old 03-23-2004 | 07:16 AM
Re: All Right...

Originally posted by Silver-Y2K-SVT

Rob - which direction do you have the check valve acting on the driver's side? Best case scenario is you have completely disabled the PCV system under all conditions. Worst case scenario is that you're pressurizing the crankcase under boost. I guess the question is - which direction of flow are you preventing on the driver's side?

I'm trying to work all of the angles on how your system works, and doesn't work...
I'll have to go out and take it out and Blow through it again to be 100% sure, but of what I remember, it's the opp direction of the pass side, so what this does is allow one side to vent the pressure out, and one side to take in pressure when in reverse flow, (but still be a closed system, not taking in any un-metered air like a Breather). Now the Normal PCV works (as it should, by not disconnecting anything) and still allow the drivers side to do it's thing, but when we going into "what I'll call reverse flow" it doesn't allow oil to be pushed up the drivers side and into the, Maf Boot, Vac Lines + Hoses, Throttle Body, + Upper Manifold. I have no internal Pressure, I check the oil level often, no foam, no pushing oil up the stick, no signs of internal pressure AT ALL

(As you know we have 2 oil sucking problems)
1- where everyone puts a Seperator (rear of Upper connection)
2- oil being pushed over to the drivers side, and up into the boot, lines, T/B, etc...)

I can tell you for sure that problem is 100% GONE. (prob #2)
Not a drop in my Boot, lines, or FRONT of Throttle Body ANYMORE.
100% of MY REMAINING PROB (which is now very very slight) is oil still being pushed into the rear of the upper,
a seperator will correct it, I use to have one, too much of a hassle to empty, and I'm showing such a small amount that it no longer concerns me. The Hole in the dime trick may help, but I'm still leary of blocking off anything or restricting it.

Excellent post
BTW
Here's some info on it, maybe it'll help
http://lightning-enterprise.com/pcv.html

Old 03-23-2004 | 09:57 AM
Silver-Y2K-SVT .....sorry for my tone yesterday, I reacted to your arrogance... heres a GOOD reason for the existence of this tube...

Well, it gets worse. There is a "T" in the PCV line on the passenger's side (the side that sucks under vacuum, and blows under boost). Rob will have a comment about this last sentence. Anyway, the "T" is connected to the upper intake plenum, near the inlet of the supercharger.

Neither I, nor anyone else I have worked with on this, can determine a GOOD reason for the existence of this tube, as-designed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this ("T" connected to the upper intake plenum) is the outlet to your PCV system at wide open throttle, a part of blow-by gas flows into the plenum through the connecting hose , because under this condition, the intake manifold vacuum is not so strong to introduce all blow-by gases increasing with engine speed directly through the PCV valve. .......fresh air inlet and a foul air outlet.

Last edited by RED 92; 03-23-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:12 AM
|
EEEEEK!

Rob:

I'm a little concerned about your setup. If you have:

A Mustang/Cobra PCV in the passenger's side valver cover

A check valve (routed only to allow flow "in") in the driver's side valve cover

You will certainly prevent oil in the rubber intake booot, but you have no crankcase scavenging under boost, and definitely some possibility for crankcase pressurization. It depends on the pressure in the passenger's side tube right at the PCV, which is tough to estimate, and one end of the tube is connected to 13 PSI or so of boost and the other end to a reasonably strong vacuum (at the supercharger inlet). There will be a steep pressure gradient along the length of that tube system, and very strong, fast flow of air from the lower intake to the supercharger inlet.

If the pressure at the PCV is above atmospheric, you will be pressurizing the crankcase to an extent.

Now, add the dime/blank to the upper line on the passenger's side, and you have a bomb. Under boost, the driver's side is effectively plugged shut (due to the check valve). Your PCV system on the passenger's side now has been simplefied to just be, effectively, a line from the valve cover to the lower intake, with a very well-functioning check valve in-line (preventing flow "in" to the crankcase). When you get into boost, the PCV is forced shut and held on the seat by boost pressure (perhaps 13 PSI in your case). To even allow the crankcase to simply "vent" requires that crankcase pressure get high enough to force the PCV open against boost pressure.

I don't think that you want that dime in there with the driver's side check-valved.

I'm thinking that the best compromise system might be, at this point...

A functioning check-valve in the line to the lower intake (eliminating all boost recirculation, but allowing the PCV to function properly under vacuum conditions).

(No need to replace the existing non-functional PCV)

Dual separators in the line to the upper plenum (to scub that air under the conditions when it flows)

A separator, just in case, on the driver's side (although there should never be flow through the PCV in the reverse direction with this setup).

With this configuration, under boost, you would still have positive PCV function in the "forward" direction. Higher-pressure clean air fed to the crankcase on the driver's side and lower-pressure extraction of dirty crankcase vapors on the passenger's side (as the PCV system now functionally consists of a largely unrestricted tube from the valve cover to the upper plenum when under boost).

The only obvious downsides of this are a reliance on separators (need effective ones), and the need to design equipment or develop technique for purging the puddle of oil out of the lower intake periodically. Perhaps just disconnecting the check valve and boosting it would blow out the puddle.

Complex subject. Let's keep the discussion going.

Old 03-23-2004 | 10:15 AM
|
Huh?

Did I hear something? Naaaaah...

Old 03-23-2004 | 10:42 AM
I've been reading the PCV threads for a while now, knowing the basics of how PCV works and not previously understanding why the oil deposits were happening in our particular systems.

Now that I had my second oil change (just turned 5000 miles), and having noticed that I may have been down some oil, I am really concerned. I didn't get a chance to pull off the intake boot to inspect for oil, and I'm afraid of what I'll find.

That said, Silver-Y2K-SVT, you did a great job explaining the function and flows of the PCV system. And now that you have me working on it too, I want to work with you some more on figuring the mysterious L problem out. So, if you're still up for it, bear with me for these next questions. I don't use any technique or system yet, and I'm not going to knock or support any one's either, but I just want to explore this more first.

First, I'm wondering why there is so much oil circulating in the crankcase anyway? I've worked on (as basic as changing a valve is) PCV systems in my previous cars, and I did notice oil flowing up the system and clogging valves. I assume this occurrs typically in higher-mileage engines as a result of increased crankcase pressure caused by increased amount of blowby escaping the piston rings. I've never seen oil contamination of PCV components on newer engines. (Hold that thought on forced induction enginges for a moment.)

Going back to your very detailed explanation, you mentioned that oil misting is caused by high-rpm oil turbulance. This seems plausible, but by all accounts, there are many engines that run up to 9000 rpm (much higher than our 5.4), and from what I could find, do not suffer our level of separation.

(Moving right along . . .) this brings me to my question to everyone - what is causing the (seemingly) excessive oil vapor mist that is circulating through our crankcase? Is this a normal result seen in forced induction engines? Do boosted engines experience higher blowby pressures in their normal operation? If not, I don't yet understand how the design of our engines in particular causes excessive oil misting. If high-rpm turbulence was the sole culprit, then wouldn't all 5.4 engines see the same problems? Their PCV valves would need to be replaced on a regular basis.

Silver-Y2K-SVT, I want to get into the particular fixes soon enough, but I think answering the misting question will give us some good background first. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 03-23-2004 | 10:54 AM
silver,

i agree with you on you latest solution. i proposed the same fix in a previous thread but got no response. i think a check valve in the line to the lower, with a seperator on the upper line would work. i will be trying this in the future. one other thing i would add is some sort of baffle system on the passenger valve cover either right before or after the pcv valve.

just one question for anybody, where do i get a check valve for the lower intake line? anybody have a part number or description?

Old 03-23-2004 | 10:58 AM
Post taken out so not to get in the way.

Last edited by usahooters; 03-23-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:04 AM

7 bucks

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning

7 bucks
more info please? what size is it. where to get it?

thanks

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:07 AM
Re: Huh?

Well I dont feel special anymore..I clicked search on your profile and in the first 3 pages found what kind of guy you are,,....If I would have know you were the local arrogant know it all who quickly insults ...I would have not added to your long winded B.S.

1. Superfords:

Next time you slap a "learn to spell" on somebody, ummmm, learn to spell.

It's spelled "existEnce".

Thought I'd point that out, and have a nice day.
2. Steelgrave:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

3. This guy is un-flogging-buh-leeb-a-bull.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Amazingly, there are still folks who don't understand why the rest of the world sees us as a bunch of illiterate...

4. Sal:

Trust me on this one. It's another one of those things where it "seems like", but I'm right on this one. Mass doesn't come into play as far as top speed (terminal velocity) is concerned.

5. Totally wrong. As long as you had tires to support the weight, it would not affect top speed at the least. Look up the equations and convince yourself.

6. Gang:

Please don't get me started. Two important facts for you all...

1) Weight has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with top speed. If your Lightning was made from forged lead, it would still top out...

7. Leo:

No way does a 484 RWHP Lightning trap at 105 MPH. Maybe you need to try another dyno.

8. ND4SPD:

Back to school for you.

"Holy" = something sacred, associated with a diety...

"Holly" = the stripper that lives next door, or a thorny bush that grows out in the woods...

9. SVT F150:

Yuo have no idea what you're talking about.

The phenomenon you described is actually "ignition timing advance", NOT, and I repeat NOT, "detonation".

10. Temp1:

All rightie then...
If you look at the commonly reported empirical equations for rolling resistance...
Recognize that "empirical" means "fit to a pile of data", not "derived from scientific first priciples"...

You seem like a bit of a stalker

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:11 AM
Originally posted by brain bypass
more info please? what size is it. where to get it?

thanks
This piece will fit in the tee that goes to the lower(back of intake
) pcv perfectly..
http://www.autoshopster.com/acura.sh...0Check%20Valve

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:19 AM
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:23 AM
Post taken out so not to get in the way.

Last edited by usahooters; 03-23-2004 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod