Lightning

Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:27 AM
|
Well...

I seem to have picked up a stalker. Oh well. Maybe reading all of my previous posts back to May 2000 will teach him/her something. This might work out.

Anyway, on to people who actually exist in my universe.

Illini - i don't have any reason to believe that the oil misting in our crankcase is any worse than the typical engine out there. You can easily picture how the mist is generated, what with all the parts spinning and flinging and whipping and slapping oil around.

The problem seems to be twofold. First of all, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING in place to disengage the mist from the crankcase vapors before exiting the boundaries of the crankcase. The two inlet/outlets in the valve covers (each serves both roles under different conditions of boost/vacuum) are nothing more than grommeted holes. Many engines have baffling before the PCV, others have oil separators plumbed into the PCV system with a crankcase return.

Second, the PCV system of most vehicles on the road (for example, my POS Grand Prix) deposits the dirty crankcase vapors at a single point deep in the lower intake manifold (downstream of critical contamination-sensitive equipment). Our situation is more unique, as our sorry-azzed PCV deposits oil-laden vapors at three points in the intake system, each with its own associated problems.

The typical naturally-aspirated intake system doesn't have the crazy twists and bends like our lower intake that allows deposited oil to puddle. Any oil blown into the intake via the PCV system is either entrained in the intake flow and blown (or "sucked", for the learning-challenged) into the cylinder and burned, or, at worst, deposited on the DOWNWARD SLOPING floor of the manifold and eventually dribbled/smeared/entrained toward the cylinders.

What kills us is having oil-laden vapors (either direct from the crankcase or recirculated out of the lower intake) deposited upstream of contamination-critical componentry, most notably, the intercooler core. Our system is poorly-designed, and more-or-less unique.

For what it's worth.

Old 03-23-2004 | 11:49 AM
Re: Well...

Last edited by RED 92; 04-25-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2004 | 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

Can everyone please calm down? I'm sort of interested in the technical aspects of this thread, which is the purpose of a forum to begin with, and I'm tired of reading all of the BS going back and forth.

So seriously, I don't care who started what, just calm down, and if you can't post anything helpful to the discussion at hand, or in a respectful manner, then please leave the thread alone.

(And I'm not looking to flame anyone here, I just want to continue this discussion.)

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 03-23-2004 | 03:18 PM
****Sigh*****

Anybody ever see the Charlie Brown specials?The one that has the teacher in it saying, "A-wah a-wah a-wah.Wah-wah-wah wah wah?"

Well that is what I pretty much equate this thread too.

Alot of theory's on the who's,what's,and why's but no actual fix that everyone can agree upon.

Potential problems with the dime mod?

What exactly does that mean?Does that mean there may be a problem using this method?Or does that mean there may not be a problem with this fix ?Just potentially.How will we know?Due time I guess.If my motor explodes any time in the near future and I can positively identify the cause to be that I changed my pcv valve and put a dime in a hose I will be sure to notify everyone immediately.Until this or anything near as catastrophic happens I guess I will live on the edge of potential danger.I wonder if I shortened the life of the motor 50,000 miles with my potentially dangerous mod?Does anyone really know the answer?

Now please excuse my sarcasm.I do commend you fellows on trying to figure out what in the world is the real solution on this issue.I just don't think anyone in particular's fix can be determined to actually be good or bad until it has been "real world" tested.Not on a piece of project paper with flow paths and scientific equations.

Old 03-23-2004 | 04:00 PM
seach this subject

Last edited by RED 92; 04-25-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2004 | 06:31 PM
I'll bite Red

If you plug one of the three points it would seem possible to create long term engine wear.

How do you know this for sure?What type of long term engine wear?Valves?Valve Seals?Rings?Pistons?Crank?Cylinder Walls?

I mean we are talking about the pcv system.The pcv system.That's what we are talking about the pcv system?Come on man the pcv system?The pcv system?

Okay enough of my Allen Iverson impersonation.I really am trying to follow you guys on all this stuff as it's a problem for me and everyone.However I still do not believe anyone can determine what the effects/results will be on any modification to our pcv system without actually having proof instead of a theory as to the result.

Old 03-17-2005 | 12:38 AM
Silver-Y2K-SVT

Okay it's been about a year since this wonderful post.

Can you post your observations, complaints, any other improvements you've added?

(yeah yeah, holy ancient post batman, but it is one of the top 5 on here!) There was a reason I bookmarked it a year ago!

Last edited by l-menace; 03-17-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2005 | 06:58 AM
Holy post res... never mind.

Old 03-17-2005 | 09:12 AM
I just read all five pages to realize this is an OLD post. I want my 20min back please!!
Here is what get's me. My 03 has NO oil entering in the intake elbow. It's dry as a bone @ 16,000 miles. On the other hand the upper T hose leading to blower intake is and has been ingesting oil on a regular basis. I tried a CH seperator with little luck. The dime mod would not let the trapped oil out of the lower intake right? So the only option for me since my only source of oil ingestion is the upper air take ( Forced oil under boost from the lower ) would to be to install an effective seperator? Who in the HE(( makes a effective seperator?

Old 03-17-2005 | 09:14 AM
What's the drawback to capping everything except the two valve cover holes, and just adding breathers to those?

After you clean up the mess in the intake and intercooler, of course.

Old 03-17-2005 | 10:29 AM
That is what I did, and had my tune adjusted for it. Now, ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY no oil gets into the upper plenum or intercooler.

Old 03-17-2005 | 10:44 AM
I just completed the breather mod myself. The truck seems to be running a little anemic, especially at idle? I hope that a tune will fix this. Sal's coming to visit this weekend

Old 03-17-2005 | 10:17 PM
I bought all the stuff to do the breather mod but after reading this post, I don't know if I should. As stated earlier, without a functioning pcv system in place with some sort of pressure driving it, the crankcase will be a much dirtier enviornment. Also there is the issue of unmetered air entering through the breathers. I ended the same way I started..........confused.

Old 03-18-2005 | 05:06 AM
i read this last year (along with what seemed like pages of other info and posts about these problems) and just re read some of it again. Here is the basics that I needed to know about the pcv/dime:
1. it works for all but getting oil out of the lower intake
2. the crankcase dont vent under boost.

well, if you are having a blower ported or swapping blowers or are cleaning etc., you will have ez access to the lower intake. clean the i/c out, then clean the lower intake. install the pcv/dime and reassemble. now you dont have to worry about oil in the lower intake.

Chris
ps, change your plugs if you have things tore down this far. its much easier.

Old 04-23-2005 | 02:28 AM
Acutally, I'm glad someone resurrected this... it just became a very important issue to me, because my '01 L with just under 50k has a major oil mess at the PCV snorkel connections.

Silver-Y2K-SVT has made some excellent points, and I think his analysis is pretty much spot-on. I've just gone out and bought a pair of C-H oil separators, some steel wool, some 3/8" fuel line, and I"m installing them next week (hopefully after the dealer cleans up the mess and fixes the system as it is).

I'm with l-menace, tho, in that I would like to hear how everyone's mods worked, including Silver's mods.

Atop of that, this little tidbit is important to know: it turns out that PCV does a bit more than just scavenge crankcase gases: it also places the crankcase under slight vacuum, which allows the rings to seal better, and prevent blowby.

So, now I'm gonna go to bed and try to rethink my setup (two separators, one on the driver's side, one on the passenger side). Damn you all.

Quick Reply: Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod