Lightning

Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005 | 11:41 AM
|
HOLY THREAD DREDGE, BATMAN!

WOW! This one sure came back from the dead. You want an update? I'll GIVE you an update, then!

I've run the truck about a year since installing the previously-described mods. By "a year", I mean April through November, and about 2,000 miles, much of that on the 1320. I've had the truck for right around 5 years now and am showing all of 11,000 miles on the clock.

The only modification I've made to the system since the original posts was to install a flow restrictor in the line from the "T" to the oil separators. With that line running wide open, the flow/velocity to the separators was a bit too much for the small separators to deal with efficiently. I would get a pretty good tornado going in the first separation stage, with a lot of entrainment to the second unit. For a restictor, I got a piece of solid aluminum rod (from a kite scratchbuilding suppies store) and drilled a stepped (on both the incoming and outgoing sides) hole through it longitudinally. As for the size of the orifice, I have no recollection. Basically, "as large as possible that the separators can still handle". If memory serves me correctly (Chairman Kaga), it would be quite small, somewhere around 1/8-3/16 inch. Your mileage may vary.

As for total system performance, I would say "most excellent indeed". The separators catch a lot of oil, and I mean A LOT. You'll pretty much want to drain the bowls through the Schrader valves every couple hundred miles AT THE MOST. I drain them every time it gets driven (which isn't often) just to be on the safe side.

I've torn down the intake (everything upstream of the blower) this Spring to check for any oil ingestion. I can tell you that not so much as a micro-drop has entered the intake through either the driver's side tube or the tube from the "T" to the upper. The interior surface of the upper (which I have ported, smoothed, and polished) near those two points is shiny silver and ABSOLUTELY clean. Totally oil-free.

Best of luck with whatever approach you all take. I know what has worked for me, and I still have a functional PCV system

Always a good decision, or something. Take pride in your beer.

Silver-Y2K-SVT, brewer, patriot, signing off.

Old 04-23-2005 | 11:49 AM
just for ****s and giggles i put a seperator on both sides of the system, drivers and passenger. i also put the passenger side before the t as an experiment. the passenger side on mine caught most of the oil, but there is also a small collection in the drivers side as well. fwiw

Old 04-23-2005 | 12:46 PM
Re: HOLY THREAD DREDGE, BATMAN!

Originally posted by Silver-Y2K-SVT
WOW! This one sure came back from the dead. You want an update? I'll GIVE you an update, then!

I've run the truck about a year since installing the previously-described mods. By "a year", I mean April through November, and about 2,000 miles, much of that on the 1320. I've had the truck for right around 5 years now and am showing all of 11,000 miles on the clock.

The only modification I've made to the system since the original posts was to install a flow restrictor in the line from the "T" to the oil separators. With that line running wide open, the flow/velocity to the separators was a bit too much for the small separators to deal with efficiently. I would get a pretty good tornado going in the first separation stage, with a lot of entrainment to the second unit. For a restictor, I got a piece of solid aluminum rod (from a kite scratchbuilding suppies store) and drilled a stepped (on both the incoming and outgoing sides) hole through it longitudinally. As for the size of the orifice, I have no recollection. Basically, "as large as possible that the separators can still handle". If memory serves me correctly (Chairman Kaga), it would be quite small, somewhere around 1/8-3/16 inch. Your mileage may vary.

As for total system performance, I would say "most excellent indeed". The separators catch a lot of oil, and I mean A LOT. You'll pretty much want to drain the bowls through the Schrader valves every couple hundred miles AT THE MOST. I drain them every time it gets driven (which isn't often) just to be on the safe side.

I've torn down the intake (everything upstream of the blower) this Spring to check for any oil ingestion. I can tell you that not so much as a micro-drop has entered the intake through either the driver's side tube or the tube from the "T" to the upper. The interior surface of the upper (which I have ported, smoothed, and polished) near those two points is shiny silver and ABSOLUTELY clean. Totally oil-free.

Best of luck with whatever approach you all take. I know what has worked for me, and I still have a functional PCV system

Always a good decision, or something. Take pride in your beer.

Silver-Y2K-SVT, brewer, patriot, signing off.

Silver, would you PLEASE post some pics, or point me to a thread where the pics are posted?? I really need to see how you've got it arranged, and to get an idea of how you routed yours in the first place. If what I'm seeing is true, the line running from the tee to the back of the motor is going to a fitting at the bottom of the lower intake, meaning that is a vacuum source as well, and the separators need to be BEFORE the tee itself.

Thanks for letting me resurrect this thread. My beast has 50k on it now, and I got it in '01, and it's been a true daily driver the whole time. Reliable as hell, no major problems yet (knock on wood), and I don't consume a drop of oil (go figure).

Again, thanks for the info and the help.

Old 04-23-2005 | 12:47 PM
Originally posted by cpeapea
just for ****s and giggles i put a seperator on both sides of the system, drivers and passenger. i also put the passenger side before the t as an experiment. the passenger side on mine caught most of the oil, but there is also a small collection in the drivers side as well. fwiw
You're local to me... YGPM. Give me a call, please.

Old 04-23-2005 | 12:59 PM
|
Tex, Tex, Tex...

Hey Tex:

Read the thread carefully. What I did is...

1) Installed a functional PCV valve (check-valve) in the passenger's side valve cover. It's the much-ballyhooed Cobra/Mustang/whatever unit.

2) Installed two oil separators in series in the upper line of the "T" (the one that heads to the upper intake), immediately before the entry to the upper.

3) Throttled the flow through the line to the separators (installed a flow restrictor between the "T" and the separators).

4) And of course, ripped the whole motor down to the lower intake and cleaned everything out thouroughly, porting/smoothing/polishing everything in the process.

That's it. Always a good decision, or something.

Old 04-23-2005 | 01:54 PM
I tired to read all of this, and I am getting confuseed. If this mod is good or bad for the truck. I have this mod on my truck now. But the only thing I did different was drill a small hole in the dime, to let a little air through.

Old 04-23-2005 | 02:27 PM
At 5000miles, I had a ton of oil in the boot and the TB blades were thick w/gunk-build-up. I plugged the lower plenum hose,, put a pcv valve in the pass. side v.c. ,, and added a 2.5" hole to the bottom of the stock airbox. After 20,000miles I swapped blowers and no oil in intake, plugs look great. I brought my truck in at 5000miles to address the oil problem and Ford said its a normal condition.

Quick Reply: Potential Issue With Dime / Mustang PCV Mod